Used 1990 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Yotas rule!
By YotaKid

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1990 toyota 4Runner is the most fun midsize suv I've ever driven. It gets great gas mileage and still has the off road capabilities (even in stock form) that you just don't find anywhere else. It has plenty of room for whatever you need to carry around and enough tow capacity that you should be fine as long as you're reasonable. My favorite thing about the truck (especialy being an off roader) is its reliability. I had one problem and that was a gasket in the radiator cap cracked and I just bought a new cap for $9. Simply it's tons of fun and a very reliable, cool, and capable truck.

It's just a straight up fun thing to drive, and it's so reliable that you can rest easy knowing that you will get where you are going.

Well if your like me then I'd add bigger wheels and tires. 31s look great, but aren't that important.

Toyota forever!
By tess93444

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

At the age of 17, big red has over 290000 miles on her. Great for bopping around town or on long hauls. Never any problems from defects except the original radiator-pin leak on top (but we were at 220000 miles!). Have only had to do the timing belt twice, clutch and brakes once, and minor tuneup tweaks. Just keeping the fluids clean pays off! Safety is awesome;stopped in traffic on the freeway, I was rear-ended at 53 mph. Everyone fine in truck, tire on rear took the force, though the tire bracket was bent into the truck, window still went up and down fine.

Dependablity!! Cost of parts are inexpensive and you can always find someone to work on them. Feature would be auto/electric windows. Great with kids and dogs in back!

None.

My 4Runner
By Jody

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1990 4Runner 3 years ago with less than 100k miles on it and have never looked back. It's my daily driver in spite of having a 2002 Rav4. It's classic look still turns heads after a good wash and wax. My only complaint would have to be its under-powered engine. I will soon be buying an FJ but my 4-Runner will always be my baby.

Classic look, comfort, ruggedness

More powerful engine.

1990 4Runner-the best
By jj

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put 224000 miles on my 1990 Toyota 4-Runner with virtually no problems. It still runs like new. It is truly an amazing vehicle.

Comfort, off-road and snow performance, reliability, sound system, and room.

A hybrid version

Great, slow, dependable
By Chrisbuy

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Because of the gutless feeling, I never took it over 60 mph until my wife drove it about 3 years ago. It's really gutless, but other than that, super dependable, very tough, very sound, almost never breaks, has never stranded me, looks nice, is boring. I'm 43, and nobody is going to have a mid-life crisis in this thing. 170k on one engine, still going strong.

Dependable, tough, rides well, nice inside, looks good.

More power, turbo option? More reasonable repair rates at dealership.

• SUV