Used 1990 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Avoid at all cost!
By Rob

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

The 3.0 L V6 is one of the worst engines ever made there are serious problems with the head gaskets. I own one and it has gone through 2 head gaskets in less than 200,000 miles at a cost of $1500 to $1800 each time. Do not buy these vehicles! Toyota will only replace the gasket one time but refuses to accept that it is a design flaw not only a gasket problem.

Crush for scrap and meltdown.

My Best Vehicle!
By Ron

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 4Runner for 10 years now having bought it used with 75000 miles on it. It scared me at first because I thought I was driving a truck after owning a small Honda Civic. This baby has been through thick and thin with me. I have used as a true SUV and not a show car like I've seen in California. Some have complained of now guts or power. I have the V6 engine with a 5 speed and have NO complaints. The 4 wheel drive works like a charm. I wouldn't own an automatic in a SUV (show car) and I have 250,000 on it and I'm considering a rebuild before it dies. I love this car!

Fun to drive, excellent body style compared to the newer ones. Great engine and can definitely tow as I have. Virtually maintenance free and did I say she's beautiful to look at!

That it could last forever!

Best Ever Owned
By JW

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned this vehicle since 1995, and are second owners. Have had zero unusual repairs the entire time. We're about to call it quits on it at 230,000 miles because it needs new seals. Wish it had a little more power at higher speeds, but it is geared for 4WD. Better gas mileage than the new ones!

4WD, sun roof, cargo area, reliability, gas mileage to size ratio, no plastic

More powerful engine (fixed on newer models)

Yotas rule!
By YotaKid

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1990 toyota 4Runner is the most fun midsize suv I've ever driven. It gets great gas mileage and still has the off road capabilities (even in stock form) that you just don't find anywhere else. It has plenty of room for whatever you need to carry around and enough tow capacity that you should be fine as long as you're reasonable. My favorite thing about the truck (especialy being an off roader) is its reliability. I had one problem and that was a gasket in the radiator cap cracked and I just bought a new cap for $9. Simply it's tons of fun and a very reliable, cool, and capable truck.

It's just a straight up fun thing to drive, and it's so reliable that you can rest easy knowing that you will get where you are going.

Well if your like me then I'd add bigger wheels and tires. 31s look great, but aren't that important.

Toyota forever!
By tess93444

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

At the age of 17, big red has over 290000 miles on her. Great for bopping around town or on long hauls. Never any problems from defects except the original radiator-pin leak on top (but we were at 220000 miles!). Have only had to do the timing belt twice, clutch and brakes once, and minor tuneup tweaks. Just keeping the fluids clean pays off! Safety is awesome;stopped in traffic on the freeway, I was rear-ended at 53 mph. Everyone fine in truck, tire on rear took the force, though the tire bracket was bent into the truck, window still went up and down fine.

Dependablity!! Cost of parts are inexpensive and you can always find someone to work on them. Feature would be auto/electric windows. Great with kids and dogs in back!

None.