1990 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Avoid at all cost!
By Rob on 08/16/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

The 3.0 L V6 is one of the worst engines ever made there are serious problems with the head gaskets. I own one and it has gone through 2 head gaskets in less than 200,000 miles at a cost of $1500 to $1800 each time. Do not buy these vehicles! Toyota will only replace the gasket one time but refuses to accept that it is a design flaw not only a gasket problem.

My Best Vehicle!
By Ron on 11/28/08 10:49 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 4Runner for 10 years now having bought it used with 75000 miles on it. It scared me at first because I thought I was driving a truck after owning a small Honda Civic. This baby has been through thick and thin with me. I have used as a true SUV and not a show car like I've seen in California. Some have complained of now guts or power. I have the V6 engine with a 5 speed and have NO complaints. The 4 wheel drive works like a charm. I wouldn't own an automatic in a SUV (show car) and I have 250,000 on it and I'm considering a rebuild before it dies. I love this car!

Best Ever Owned
By JW on 05/19/08 23:06 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned this vehicle since 1995, and are second owners. Have had zero unusual repairs the entire time. We're about to call it quits on it at 230,000 miles because it needs new seals. Wish it had a little more power at higher speeds, but it is geared for 4WD. Better gas mileage than the new ones!

Yotas rule!
By YotaKid on 05/01/08 20:22 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My 1990 toyota 4Runner is the most fun midsize suv I've ever driven. It gets great gas mileage and still has the off road capabilities (even in stock form) that you just don't find anywhere else. It has plenty of room for whatever you need to carry around and enough tow capacity that you should be fine as long as you're reasonable. My favorite thing about the truck (especialy being an off roader) is its reliability. I had one problem and that was a gasket in the radiator cap cracked and I just bought a new cap for $9. Simply it's tons of fun and a very reliable, cool, and capable truck.

Toyota forever!
By tess93444 on 04/25/07 11:10 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

At the age of 17, big red has over 290000 miles on her. Great for bopping around town or on long hauls. Never any problems from defects except the original radiator-pin leak on top (but we were at 220000 miles!). Have only had to do the timing belt twice, clutch and brakes once, and minor tuneup tweaks. Just keeping the fluids clean pays off! Safety is awesome;stopped in traffic on the freeway, I was rear-ended at 53 mph. Everyone fine in truck, tire on rear took the force, though the tire bracket was bent into the truck, window still went up and down fine.

My 4Runner
By Jody on 07/18/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1990 4Runner 3 years ago with less than 100k miles on it and have never looked back. It's my daily driver in spite of having a 2002 Rav4. It's classic look still turns heads after a good wash and wax. My only complaint would have to be its under-powered engine. I will soon be buying an FJ but my 4-Runner will always be my baby.

1990 4Runner-the best
By jj on 06/02/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put 224000 miles on my 1990 Toyota 4-Runner with virtually no problems. It still runs like new. It is truly an amazing vehicle.

Great, slow, dependable
By Chrisbuy on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Because of the gutless feeling, I never took it over 60 mph until my wife drove it about 3 years ago. It's really gutless, but other than that, super dependable, very tough, very sound, almost never breaks, has never stranded me, looks nice, is boring. I'm 43, and nobody is going to have a mid-life crisis in this thing. 170k on one engine, still going strong.

Why Toyota
By genera on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle from a Toyota dealer at just under 100,000 miles. It never had enough power. The 4WD system never worked right. There was always a loud banging sound and a lurching when the 4WD was disengaged, even after only 5 mins of driving. The passenger cab was cramped. After about a year and about 10 to 12 thousand miles, the engine blew a rod. I thought Toyotas were supposed to last forever. Or at least 150,000 miles. I've owned Chevy, Acura, VW, and Toyota. It doesn't matter what you buy, you may or may not get lucky.

Solid and Tough
By JBP on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Picked up the 4Runner as a second vehicle and now use it as a daily driver. Runs like a top despite being beat on regularly. A few minor repairs every year or so and you're ready to roll. My biggest complaint: the light blue paint is WEAK under the Arizona sun. The roof and hood look like garbage from oxidized paint but I'm still driving her!