Used 1990 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Good Second Vehicle
By Monique Renne

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My grandparents bought the 4Runner new in 1990, then passed away in 1991. My mother inherited it and it was her main vehicle until her death, when I inherited it.
It has been garaged most of its life, so the paint has held up well. My mother added some crappy after-market stuff (like fake chrome and pinstriping) that I may have removed someday.
Overall, it has been a great vehicle. It has a lot of cargo space and the rear heater is nice in the winter.
I have learned how to drive it. It isn't very powerful, so I have to take it out of overdrive to climb hills and I can't count on just pulling out in traffic (it doesn't accelerate well). The gas mileage is surprisingly poor: 13-17 mpg. I need new seals in the engine as well, but that's just age.
It is pretty reliable, though, and I am glad I have it. It is paired with a 1995 Toyota Corolla, my main vehicle. This 4Runner was built during a time when Toyota stood for quality! Twenty-five years old and running strong.

yota tough, 1990 4-runner sr-5, 5speed.
By john maddox

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought 10 years ago with 220,000 miles,now has 300,000. 3.0 burns quart of oil about 1,000 miles, 19mpg on highway, 1 cambelt, front axles once, one great vehicle.

Avoid at all cost!
By Rob

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

The 3.0 L V6 is one of the worst engines ever made there are serious problems with the head gaskets. I own one and it has gone through 2 head gaskets in less than 200,000 miles at a cost of $1500 to $1800 each time. Do not buy these vehicles! Toyota will only replace the gasket one time but refuses to accept that it is a design flaw not only a gasket problem.

Crush for scrap and meltdown.

My Best Vehicle!
By Ron

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 4Runner for 10 years now having bought it used with 75000 miles on it. It scared me at first because I thought I was driving a truck after owning a small Honda Civic. This baby has been through thick and thin with me. I have used as a true SUV and not a show car like I've seen in California. Some have complained of now guts or power. I have the V6 engine with a 5 speed and have NO complaints. The 4 wheel drive works like a charm. I wouldn't own an automatic in a SUV (show car) and I have 250,000 on it and I'm considering a rebuild before it dies. I love this car!

Fun to drive, excellent body style compared to the newer ones. Great engine and can definitely tow as I have. Virtually maintenance free and did I say she's beautiful to look at!

That it could last forever!

Best Ever Owned
By JW

1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

We have owned this vehicle since 1995, and are second owners. Have had zero unusual repairs the entire time. We're about to call it quits on it at 230,000 miles because it needs new seals. Wish it had a little more power at higher speeds, but it is geared for 4WD. Better gas mileage than the new ones!

4WD, sun roof, cargo area, reliability, gas mileage to size ratio, no plastic

More powerful engine (fixed on newer models)