Rewarding the early adopters
By Steve on
2008 Tesla Roadster 2dr Convertible (electric DD)
I ordered this car two years before delivery. There were plenty of snafus, but the final result is stunning. Incredible acceleration. Not much impulse to go excessively fast if you can make a 911-owning passenger white-knuckled going from 0 to 45. It's so effortless. Learned to drive without much braking - regenerative throttle behavior makes rotor wear obsolete. Driving: very low stance, and doesn't like rough roads. Ownership: the company works hard to make its owners happy, but living far from a company-owned store is tough. Early bugs and glitches were immediately fixed, even if Tesla had to fly a technician out to the car.
Favorite Features
Best - knowing we're making electric drive feasible (and sexy) for everyone else. Driving the Tesla on a race track is a revelation. Quiet: Others' engines are screaming, and I can hear my four tires on the pavement. With 970 pounds of battery pack behind my seat there's little body roll.
Suggested Improvements
- First model year had wimpy AC. This was supposedly upgraded in 2010's. - Some inflexibility in choice of tires, and the OEM tires wear out awfully fast (especially the rears). - Soft top can leak a bit. (Hard top is fine.)