2016 Tesla Model X SUV Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Tesla Model X SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Model X model:

not sure if worth the money
By L P

2016 Tesla Model X SUV P90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

We loved Tesla Model X when we test drove it. The sales girl told us that the car would be ready in 2 month. We ordered it! when delivery specialist contacted us after that, he said that actually the car will be ready in October. We said -OK, what can you do? 2 month later we got a call the the car is ready, (2 month earlier then promised), we must come and accept delivery for it. The time slots for delivery appointments are limited, and so we have to adjust out busy schedule to receive the car. We have scramble to get loan-since we were told that we had 2 extra month before, also the charger is not installed, so that becoming a pain. The car drove fine, fast p90d with ludicrous mode, comfy however; it started to fall apart on day 2-little parts on inside (decorative) things started to fall off. The on day 5 the car shut down, with all warning lights on, and we took it back to service. That's where the crappy service began. First we could not get hold of the service person, -he was with other customers. Now when i get a 160K car -I expect service person available, period! Then they said that replacement car would come from Enterprise?! who promised me Chevy Impala. of course i said that will not happen and after discussing this issue with service representative they somehow got fully charged Model S they could loan us. It has been almost a week and car still not repaired, parts are ordered from somewhere...... no time estimates given. So after owning Tesla Model X for 2 weeks, I am less then impressed. I understand that things can malfunction, but lack of service is just that.....

Great vehicle for anywhere that isn't hot
By Chris G.

2016 Tesla Model X SUV 90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

I was super excited to drive this car. All the hype and hoopla, the superlatives written in the reviews really sold me. I was ready to buy it just looking at it. I live in Texas and test drove the car at around 10:00 AM. The car had been cooling for 5 minutes before I got in so I was immediately disappointed to get in to an overly warm vehicle. I figured we could crank up the A/C and we would be set, no big deal. The only problem was it had already been set to its highest setting. It just could not keep up with the August morning heat in Texas. Read that again. The morning heat. If this vehicle had been sitting in the sun all afternoon it would be unbearable. Actually, it would be nightmarish to me knowing that it would not cool off. To be fair, the car got comfortable at the end of my test drive 30 minutes later. It looks as if they put the same small vents from the Model S in the X which doesn't make sense. If you have a larger volume of area, you need a larger volume of air. Other than this one glaring issue, the car really seemed perfect. I loved the acceleration, the handling, and the interior was amazing. The windshield/panoramic roof is phenomenal. I have children and the second row seats that can slide and tilt forward for third row access was great also.

What do you get from Tesla when you spend $113,000
By Aleksander

2016 Tesla Model X SUV 90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

First, you will get a whole lot of excitement by watching pictures and videos on the Tesla website, while you are waiting for your car to arrive at the dealer. Then, for the first few weeks, you will think and tell everybody that you have the best car in the world… and then, reality sets in. You start realizing that many of those high tech gizmos simply don’t work. But, you understand, that this is a fresh concept car and you almost expect that. So far so good, but then you are going to get seriously shocked when you try to get through the service department appointment desk and eventually the service manager.
Honestly, I never, ever, experienced such a bad service in any other cars I have owned, or am currently possessing now, even when the cars were worth a fraction of the $113,000 which I have spent on my Model X 4 months ago. I know that nobody will believe me if I will tell you that today, July 25, I called the Tesla Service Department in Burbank to request another follow up appointment to fix a list of problems (some of them serious safety issues) and was told, that if I was to waive my rights for a loaner car (per my contract) the fastest open appointment is August 25...basically in one month! How many issues does Tesla Model X have for the service department to have to wait for one full month? It didn’t help to get over my disappointment with the car when I had a very unfriendly and rude conversation with the service manager Mr. Mines. I explained to this gentleman my problems and the reason why I asked for the service manager and I got interrupted with “Are you done yet? May I talk now?” Wow!
People! For your information...if I called the Maserati dealership (true story), with any problem, I will have an appointment the next day, and I will drive out in a brand new loaner car. That’s service!
I wish I never leased my Tesla Model X, simply because I don’t believe that anybody deserves service and should be treated that way.

Here at last-Model X
By George Hawley

2016 Tesla Model X SUV 90D 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

The Model X is a crossover with up to three rows of seats, seven in all, built on the frame of the Model S sedan. It is about 2" longer and 10" higher than the Model S. It inherits the battery-powered drive units from the Model S with three all-wheel-drive configurations: 75D, 90D, and P90D. The number indicates the kilowatt hour rating of the big battery pack, the D stands for dual motors and the P indicates the performance model. Like the Model S the X is very quick 0-60, leaving all other comparable SUVs behind. I have the seven seat option. With the two third row seats folded flat there is a reasonable amount of storage space. There would be more had the second row seats been designed to fold.

The controls and Autopilot systems are inherited from the Model S work quite well, though still in Beta release form. Because of its height the X is much easier to get in and out of than the S, especially the second row via the iconic Falcon Wing Doors. The third row has limited legroom, okay for kids. The self-presenting front doors and spectacular rear doors have sensors to minimize the chance of banging into people or objects. The software for operation of the doors is still a work in progress but they work OK at this point.

The windshield rises overhead to provide a spectacular vista for the driver. The rear view mirror is somewhat blocked by the second row middle seat head rest. This is not a problem for taller drivers or the six seat configuration.

If the idea of an ultra-safe, super-quick, up to seven passenger car that can park and practically drive itself for $100,000+/- appeals to you, go for it. You will be sporting the Tesla grin every time you get into it.