Best Car I Have Owned
By sanfraned on
2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)
I very seldom write reviews, but after reading a couple of lousy reviews about the Tesla S, I feel compelled to do so. And by the way, I own a Tesla S. I didn't just borrow it for a week and my views are about the car, not about what I wish or about the stock market. I have had the fortune of being able to own some awesome cars over the last 20 years. Mercedes SL600, E55, S55, SL63, Nissan GTR, Porsche Turbo, Bentley Silver Spur, and the Tesla S. All great cars. Without a doubt, this is the most amazing car I have driven. It is a technology marvel, a power monster, and incredible fun to drive. It is reliable, inexpensive to run and soooo quiet. So great not to have to buy gas
Favorite Features
The large screen is not a distraction at all, it is the command center for the car. The functions are intuitive or very easy to learn and the navigation system is one of the easiest to use. The interior is consistent with the car, very sporty, comfortable and not cheap at all. The ability to open or close the car, warm up or cool down the interior, or always see the location of the car from a remote location, all on your phone or tablet is awesome. The car is software driven, so many features or performance changes are made through downloads directly to the car. And now with the supercharger stations, I can go coast to coast, or from Seattle to Los Angeles free.
Suggested Improvements
A 4 wheel drive Model S would be great for those trips to the ski mountains in the winter
By kgerbil1
on 03/31/14 20:32 PM (PDT)

Sanfraned, I to have had the good fortune to own several amazing cars, a Porsche S4 and Turbo, and SL55. I have driven a Ferrari and Lambo for a rental day, and the S is the most amazing car that I have ever driven. Here is my review of the car: I just picked up my Tesla S P85 yesterday and had my first chance to try out the 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, the Porsche cornering, and the Lexus comfort, down Topanga Canyon Blvd on my way to the ocean. The experience was like having sex on wheels. It is literally everything the professionals say it is. It is the perfect car. Entering the corner at maximum speed, little over steer no under steer. Exit with immediate acceleration, no gas engine lag. All the while sitting in my comfortable Lexus. Is there any wonder that baby boomers are buying this car over a Corvette, Porsche or Ferrari? Who wants to crank ones back in those sports car seats when you can get the exact same sensation in comfort. You could not wipe the shitee eating grin off of my face. Case Closed!

By billvert
on 04/21/14 03:41 AM (PDT)

Had my P85 for 6 months and I love it. It is an incredible car. But there are areas where it is not up to snuff with $100k+ cars. There is NO interior storage, no door sill pockets, nothing in the center console and no pockets on the back of seats. The center console that they do have feels like it is the wrong height and the 2 cupholders are awkward to reach and use. In the back seat, no cupholders at all and to add insult to injury you can pay Tesla to install these weird floor hoop cup holders that no one understands how to use and even when they do, do you really want your drink down by your feet? Guess what, there are no hooks over the back doors for dry cleaning, none. First time I picked up my clothes I kept trying to hook on to something and then I peered under the door and saw there were no hooks. First time in my entire life I haven't had dry cleaning hooks in a car. Even my first car, a 1977 Gremlin, had dry cleaning hooks. I love the style of the interior and I think the materials are fine. It looks pretty no doubt, but $17k corollas have better thought out interiors from a usability perspective. For a P85 or P85+ model I would also offer better seats to keep you from sliding around. The stock seats are OK but it is not up to snuff compared to other performance cars. I love the center control console but I find it very hard to use while driving. Just changing radio stations is hard to do while driving, largely from touch targets that are too small or because there is no tactile feedback. Just because you CAN do it on the touch screen does not mean it's BEST done there. Tactile feedback on normal car controls (the feel of the buttons, the snap when they are pushed) allows you to operate things by touch without taking your eyes off the road. I LOVE my car, I really do and I smile every single time I get in it, but over a year after the model was introduced they could and should have fixed some of these issues and frankly most of these deficiencies should have been discovered during initial testing more that a year ago (2 years ago?). I agree with edmunds giving the interior a "B", but the car as a whole gets an "A".