17 of 20,453 people found this review helpful
60 KWH Spring Suspension
By smccphillip on
2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)
This is an initial quality review as we have only 1000 miles since we picked up the car last week. The car has been flawless since we picked up in White Plains on June 4th and has exceed all my memories from the test drive. Our wait was 2.5 months from the time of reservation. I've formerly owned driver's cars like the Redline Saturn Sky an 530Xi 5-series sedan. The Tesla feels even more refined than the 5-series and handles corners on rails like the Sky. Its cargo room approaches a large SUV all while getting nearly 100mpg. I believe our vehicle is one of the first without air suspension, and in my opinion there is no noticeable downside to ride and handling of the coils springs.
Favorite Features
Zero emissions when you sign up for a renewable energy plan which in CT costs only 5%. Instant acceleration. Corners on rails. Comfortable ride. Stunning looks. Range exceeds our needs.
Suggested Improvements
We felt the GPS should not require the $3500 tech package. Projected range based on planned route (which I hear is coming). Eliminate the vampire draw this summer as promised by Tesla.
Recommend (17) (20,436)
By smccphillip
on 07/22/13 20:46 PM (PDT)

We've now reached 3000 miles and have experienced no powertrain issues. We were part of the partial recall for safety latch, which was amazingly painless. Tesla sent a flatbed to our house, gave us a rental car, and returned our vehicle the next day. Meanwhile they fixed several minor cosmetic issues we mentioned. We also have averaged 314 wh/mi which is less than 5 cents per mile compared to more than 20 cents per mile for our 530xi. I don't doubt drag times claim of 5.1s 0-60mph with a full charge...it feels every bit that fast. And, there has been a LOT of "spirited" driving and use of the AC to pre-cool the car during our very hot summer. On long trips I have averaged less than 300 wh/mi and can get the EPA rated range so longs as we set the cruise to 70mph. We didn't opt for supercharging, and haven't needed it yet. Waiting for swapping stations to make our first CT to FL drive !

By smccphillip
on 08/15/14 21:16 PM (PDT)

It's hard to imagine a much better experience. We've had our 60KWh MS for 14 months now and recently surpassed 27,000 miles! This car is no garage queen. My experience has been outstanding reliability and performance, punctuated by excellent service when needed. The car has not once left us stranded or failed to take us where we want to be. I've driven through several snowstorms and passed struggling front wheel drive cars on hills. It has been the family car we've relied on for our most precious cargo (our newborn son). I driven from CT to Montreal, and from CT to Philadelphia. We had a few minor interior squeaks and itching sounds which Tesla had already engineered effective and inexpensive shims or pads to cure. I can hardly explain how satisfying it is to deal with Tesla. They really care about their image and it shows. The send out a driver some 50 miles to my office, pickup the car, leave me a $100k+ high performance P85+ loaded with every option imaginable, and return my own car faster than I it back! Around 15k, I noticed what sounded like an electrical noise at steady speed. They quickly confirmed the noise and swapped out the drive unit without any questions asked. This same type of problem will be covered by the now 125k mile warranty on the S60 (that's if you call having the P85+ plus delivered to your doorstep a problem!). My son's large wheeled stroller fits perfectly in the front trunk, leaving the rear trunk clear of its clunkiness. I was even impressed when needed collision repair service. The side of my MS60 was backed into in my work parking lot. The unfortunate incident creased the aluminum front fender and door. As of this past spring, Tesla had already certified a Hartford, CT area shop (Airport Auto) to perform bodywork. Tesla charged $1000 for a new right front fender. Both the door and fender needed a full aluminum repaint. The labor for removing doors, fender, trim, and repainting was another $4000. The repairs took <2 weeks, most of which was the body shop and insurance oversight. For Tesla's part, they had the new fender delivered in about 3 days. All in all, the majority of my fears about jumping into a start-up car company have evaporated. Including the cold winter months, I've averaged 325 wh/mile, which in CT amounts to <6cents/mile in energy. This compares to 18c/mile in our 530xi BMW. BTW, the Tesla is hands down more thrilling to drive than the "ultimate driving machine" (sorry BMW). I would highly recommend this car to anyone in the market to spend over $40k on an ICE they plan to rack up miles on. Do the math for yourself.