15 of 17,150 people found this review helpful
60 KWH Spring Suspension
By smccphillip on
2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)
This is an initial quality review as we have only 1000 miles since we picked up the car last week. The car has been flawless since we picked up in White Plains on June 4th and has exceed all my memories from the test drive. Our wait was 2.5 months from the time of reservation. I've formerly owned driver's cars like the Redline Saturn Sky an 530Xi 5-series sedan. The Tesla feels even more refined than the 5-series and handles corners on rails like the Sky. Its cargo room approaches a large SUV all while getting nearly 100mpg. I believe our vehicle is one of the first without air suspension, and in my opinion there is no noticeable downside to ride and handling of the coils springs.
Favorite Features
Zero emissions when you sign up for a renewable energy plan which in CT costs only 5%. Instant acceleration. Corners on rails. Comfortable ride. Stunning looks. Range exceeds our needs.
Suggested Improvements
We felt the GPS should not require the $3500 tech package. Projected range based on planned route (which I hear is coming). Eliminate the vampire draw this summer as promised by Tesla.
Recommend (15) (17,135)
By smccphillip
on 07/22/13 20:46 PM (PDT)

We've now reached 3000 miles and have experienced no powertrain issues. We were part of the partial recall for safety latch, which was amazingly painless. Tesla sent a flatbed to our house, gave us a rental car, and returned our vehicle the next day. Meanwhile they fixed several minor cosmetic issues we mentioned. We also have averaged 314 wh/mi which is less than 5 cents per mile compared to more than 20 cents per mile for our 530xi. I don't doubt drag times claim of 5.1s 0-60mph with a full charge...it feels every bit that fast. And, there has been a LOT of "spirited" driving and use of the AC to pre-cool the car during our very hot summer. On long trips I have averaged less than 300 wh/mi and can get the EPA rated range so longs as we set the cruise to 70mph. We didn't opt for supercharging, and haven't needed it yet. Waiting for swapping stations to make our first CT to FL drive !