Used 2013 Tesla Model S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Tesla Model-s - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Model S model:

Best car I've ever owned.
By jimb32

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I've driven the Mercedes CLS 63 AMG for four years. With 66,000 miles on it, I was informed the intake manifold was cracked. No explanation how it could have happened. I decided to spend my money on the Tesla S. It has been the most fun I've ever had in a car. It's quick, responsive, and I've already saved over $1,000 in gas. No emissions, I plug into my house charger and it charges an hour or two when I get home. My electric bill is up $15 bucks a month. I've had a few questions, and I've taken my car back into the service center once. The guys at Tesla are amazing, friendly, and efficient.

Favorite Features

It drives like a jet. When you step on the accelerator, you know it. Well worth the investment. and Tesla continues to shake up the status quo automotive world.

Suggested Improvements

The car accelerates so fast it flips back the floor mat on the passenger side. a hook to prevent it from flipping back is needed. (I guess I could accelerate at less than maximum warp, but what fun is that?)

Great car
By dannj1

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I own one an am blown away by it. It is truly an amazing game changing car. This car actually has better performance than a Maserati and it just feels fast. Front seats are comfortable, back seats from my passengers, they have plenty of room. I went with the P85 so I did go a tad overboard, BUT I would put it on par with a Porsche Panamera, BUT with no gas, The interior is sleek, had many compliments on the exterior. When you close the doors it's "beefy", very well built. So far, no issues, have 7800 miles on it

Favorite Features

The touchscreen- hands down The upgradeability- What other company offers to retrofit your car when they didn't offer the features when you got it. The fact that it is insanely fun to drive No gas station trips. I do like the FREE internet Storage space (the center spot is perfect for the wife's purse) The fact that it has 2 trucks and frunk is the perfect size to fit 6 cases of soda in the square part, and then can fit the rest of the groceries in the remaining part of the frunk. Went cloths shopping and food shopping in the same trip (no chicken goo and new cloths)

Suggested Improvements

An automatic control for the frunk The fact that the service station is off of I76 (I have no luck going on I76; always an accident on that road), but hey, that's why I have the ranger service. The vanity mirrors are kind of small Wish you could play video on the touchscreen (I know it's illegal to have a video playing in the view of the driver in the US, but I still want it)

Great Car - Wish I could afford a second!
By josh_b

2013 Tesla Model S 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

Hi everyone, Like you I was skeptical at first that an EV could be as enjoyable to drive as one with an ICE and as green as described. I can now say that after 14,000 trouble free kilometeres and no issues, my 'S has been all of the above and more. I have hauled four people and their equipment around all day, driven all over southern Ontario without issue or anxiety and saved countless tanks of gas from being burned. (I drive a lot.) It's great to see technology, but moreso great to see technology implemented smartly. (Not just for its own sake.) The car is reliable and a joy to drive!

Favorite Features

The drivetrain is bulletproof. We have had no issues with the drivetrain and routinely take longer trips in addition to my regular commute. Charging has been easy via a 240v/40A outlet although in truth we should've gotten the quick charger. The folks at the Yorkdale Tesla location are fantastic and wonderful; their generosity and information have been very helpful. The seating and cabin are comfy for longer trips and make my life as a new dad much easier.

Suggested Improvements

As always more range would be great. Nonetheless so far the range has been fine for my purposes. (I drive a lot but mainly to and from work each day - a totally manageable 120km round trip.) Having a "full tank" in the morning has been refreshing and I've enjoyed recycling the coupons from Air Miles used to beg me back to Shell. (Nope, not going to buy any more gas.) My wife and I are patiently waiting for news about the Gen III (Bluestar) model. It promises similar range, (maybe better with the largest battery pack), and will be a smaller car. (Our preference is for smaller vehicles, particularly since I sometimes head downtown and long for an easier time in parking.)

Ouch... Be careful here.
By twosmalltowns

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

I've been driving an S off & on for a few weeks (company got one as part of investor PR.) There are several concerns/problems: car is very heavy, and this will soon be a problem for suspension and tires on the bumpy, pot-holed roads. Secondly, the interior while "different" and kinda cool, is a bit cheap in some ways; the large touchscreen control center is Dangerous: having no buttons/knobs means you are staring at the screen and not on the road.) Most importantly, Tesla is a stock play, not a car company. All the hype is carefully orchestrated to build market cap. Be careful - and assume that they are smarter than you. Because they probably are.

Favorite Features

This is a first generation, first year car. It has lots of bugs that need to be worked out. It takes car companies a few years to iron out the kinks of a new model - that is normal. It will take a new car company doing a new model much more than a few years to sort it out.

Suggested Improvements

Should lose at least 1000 lbs. Seal the flooring so that liquids do not cause short circuits. Get some dealers and Customer service set up.

this is something you need to consider before you buy
By amazinggrace

2013 Tesla Model S Performance 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

my husband accidentally spilled the cooler inside the car after he hit the break, and the car just stopped in the middle of the road. the car was totally dead (was embarrassed as a lot of people that drove by knew it was a Tesla ~___~ and waved at me) and waited 2hrs for the roadside assistant to arrive. the next day the Costa Mesa service center called, and they were willing to change the connectors that had water damage for us for free, I WAS HAPPY THAT TESLA WOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS ISSUE AS I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD BECAUSE THIS IS NOT SOMETHING UNCOMMON TO HAVE IT HAPPENED INSIDE OF A CAR, WHO DOES NOT HAVE A COOLER? AND WHO DOES NOT CARRY WATER IN THE CAR?

Favorite Features

after a wkend, I called Tesla to check on my car, and they told me that the original way they thought would work did not work, and the car is still dead ,~__~, and said needed to change the whole harnest which will cost me $7500+, I was so shocked with what water had done to a car like this? THAT'S UNBELIEVABLE TO ME, so say if it rained, and you jumped into your car wet, oopse, you can't go anywhere, because you are wet, and you got your car wet, and your car won't start? does it make sense to anyone? does tesla say NO WATER IN ANY TESLA VEHICLE?

Suggested Improvements

this might be the draw back of EV car, I love the car, however, this incident scared me with thoughts of what if your kids or pets peed inside the car? then the car just dies in the middle of no where, it might create serious problems, and what if there is a emergency and you spilled your water and you can't go anywhere 'cuz the car is dead? What if my husband was on the highway, and the car just stopped in the middle of the highway, imagine what would have happened because the car does not have outlet for water inside out? I honestly think this is a design flaw, and this is serious!!!! Anyone who reads this, what would you do if you were me?