Used 2007 Suzuki XL7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Suzuki Xl7 - Consumer Reviews

2007 Suzuki XL7

View reviews for a specific XL7 model:

Run as far as you can...even if it's free!!!
By n2reds2012

2007 Suzuki XL7 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

These vehicles are nothing but money pits!! Just got rid of mine finally ('07 with 97k) white paint started peeling at 50k and found out it's a paint defect Suzuki will not fix. Then the turn signal stalk quit turning off and the speedo would show you going 140 mph when your only going 60 mph. Then the check engine light came on and found out the timing belt was needing replaced...3k later and about 8 months it came back on again same issue. Turns out it's a common issue in this engine along with sludge build up resulting in a need for a new engine....even though changed oil every 3000 miles. Again it's a design flaw that's common. STAY AWAY!!!! At all cost!!!

Favorite Features

Space behind the seats was plentiful.....that's all

Suggested Improvements

They need to take everyone they built and crush them!

Great car in search of a engine
By sr500mark

2007 Suzuki XL7 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with about 40K miles on it. I did my home work and noted the P008 engine code frequency in user reviews. Well this car was in great shape to I figured I'd give it a chance. Interior is great, roomy and comfortable. Rear climate controls are great for the second & third row passengers. Car is really stable in the snow. Brakes have a hard time hauling down this heavy car. Gas mileage is nothing to write home about. I get about 16 combined. Fuel fillter cap started misbehaving at about 45k miles. Transmisison developed a very slow leak. Good luck finding the dipstick/filler! Then the engine failed! P0008 engine code. (along with 8 others related to it)

Favorite Features

Good room, good seating. Solid acceleration but you have to really put your foot into it. I like the way it looks too. Decent winter handling.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage should be better. Timing chain needs to be made MUCH stronger. This engine is not suitable at all. Check the internet and believe what you read! Pay no attention to the stupid oil change assistant! Change the oil every 3,000 miles! ATF dipstick is hidden away and bolted down. They want you to take it to the shop. Mine is 75 miles away, so no thanks! I like to keep an eye on such things even though the owner' manual says it shouldn't need any attention. Right! I can see how Suzuki needed to declare bankruptcy.

Oh that's a common problem
By cmtlovey

2007 Suzuki XL7 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Please DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Let’s see. We bought the car June 21, 2010 and it has been nothing but problems. Day 31 the gas gauge went crazy turn out the floater in the tank was sticking. Got that fixed. Winter 2010 the roads were horrible, but I was on my way home with my kids in the car and All these lights went off telling me the traction control and stability control shut off, and another thing shut off, well I went to slow down to go around a turn and pushed the breaks to the floor and no breaks. Called for someone to come get the kids and take them home… called the dealership and told them what was going on they swore there was no way that I had them to the floor in the first place…

Favorite Features

called the dealership and told them what was going on they swore there was no way that I had them to the floor in the first place… whatever I know better. They took it in to check it out, the lights had gone off, and all they could find was a sensor was bad so they changed the throttle sensor… a week later I was back b/c of the traction control and all that good stuff. Just to have my timing chain replaced. Winter came and gone, and I had a few other issues with it. Last winter had more issues with the traction control, but they couldn’t find anything wrong with it.. winter passed again summer was ok didn’t have any issues Well read below for the latest issues

Suggested Improvements

WELL….December 19 2012 went in to have the timing chain changed AGAIN, tells me i'll be seeing you soon except next time it will be for a new engine because the oil pump is going to go next. it's a common problem and it always happens... well so we started thinking we better start looking for a new car because we only have 14,000 left for warrenty.. HA Feb 9, my oil pump went out.. Well I finally got it back on friday the 15 I didn't even make it home and the check engine light came on. so turned around and went right back. they told me there was nothing they could do for 150 miles unless i wanted to pay for it. it was the catalytic converter and is a common problem for that to happen when

2007 Suzuki XL 7
By dikay29

2007 Suzuki XL7 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

When we bought this car in January, 1009 we thought we hit the jackpot. It had everything leather heated seats, remote start, entertainment center, etc. About October, 2010 the check engine light came on wanting the gas cap tightened which we decided to change thinking the cap was wore out. It kept going off and coming back on. In November, 2010 on a trip in the rain we experienced the traction and stability control shut off. Before it was said and done we had to have the timing gear and chain replaced and the steering and pinion rack. 2 months later here we are trading vehicles because the timing chain needs to be replaced again and 2 different dealers are giving us attitude about it.

Favorite Features

Handles good, Rides comfortable, Loved the entertainment center and all the luxurious ammenities. Reasonably priced.

Suggested Improvements

Side trim needs to be either built to hold up to weight or removed. Needs a different motor.

Do yourself a favor and buy something else
By nceric

2007 Suzuki XL7 Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/Platinum Touring Package (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car at 20,000 miles and got rid of it at 45,000 miles. In that time, three wheel bearings were replaced, along with a rear strut ($600) and all new brakes. The first impression I had was that I got a steal, nice SUV loaded with all the features at a low price. All service was done at the dealer for the first 20,000 miles. The inside looked nice, but was cheaply built. Several plastic handles inside broke within a month. The tires would never hold air, no matter what I did. The check engine light came on at 40,000, indicating that the valves were sludged up and the engine would need replaced. There are no aftermarket parts so it is expensive to repair,which happened often

Favorite Features

Suzuki replaced the bearings under warranty, but I paid for the strut and brakes, which approached $1000 before labor. I took good care of the car, changing the oil every 3000 miles, but it didn't seem to make a difference with the engine. The turning radius is horrible and it drives like a truck. The gas mileage is bad as well. 17-20 at best on the highway, worse in city driving. The manual says to take the car to a dealer to replace a headlight bulb! I managed to do it on my own, but you have to take out the wheel well just to get to the bulb. It took 45 min per bulb.

Suggested Improvements

It seems like no real effort was put in to designing this car, they just threw some cheap shiny junk together and put it on the lot. Of the 20 or so vehicles I have owned over the years, this is without a doubt the worst by a country mile. There is no way to improve this car, it is not possible. Please don't make the same mistake I did, stay away from this car!