2006 Suzuki XL-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:
Give it a chance! XL7 may work for you.
By unsolctedadviz on 04/11/12 12:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We got a great deal on '06 XL7 in 2010 with 37K miles as a '00 200K Honda Odyssey replacement. Wanted another, but Toyotas/Hondas too pricey even with 100K. The XL7 sounds and drives like a truck--worse than a car or minivan. Poor acceleration and gas mileage, averaging a paltry 17 city, 20 hwy. But so far, it has been bulletproof in terms of reliability at 72K miles. No problems whatsoever. With kids 11, 8, 7, we can still shoehorn 1-2 of them in the fold-down 3rd row. Long trips we flip down 1 side of 3rd row and take plenty of luggage. Vehicle is horrible in snow. 2-whl drive was a big mistake. Needs quality snow tires in winter. Buy a 4x4. Missing minivan, but XL7 is next best..

Dependable
By Very Happy on 01/23/10 21:23 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our fully loaded XL7 for a year and a half and only had to replace the alternator. It drives great, has plenty of power and handles well. I can't wait to try out the 4WD in the snow... We are a pretty tall family of four and room is sometimes an issue but having taken it on several long distance trips, it suits our needs well.

Car withstood 7000 mile-trip
By Ray Suryadinata on 08/21/09 18:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Just came back from cross-country trip Toronto-Vancouver. Westbound through the northern U.S. states, return trip through Canadian soil. The car was fun to drive, no back pain sitting and driving for 23 days. With four adult passengers, loads of luggage and cooler being hooked up daily, the car didn't complain at all. This car has really exceeded my expectation by a mile.

Quite good SUV
By frank fiore on 03/05/09 18:24 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle mostly used for short trips averaging under 10 miles (averaging 20 mpg) but around 26 mpg on the long range 65 mph or faster trips. The car has excellent fit and finish, nice interior, decent sound system (car is intermediate (not premium) trim package but cloth seats are fairly comfortable. We have had no (none, nada!) maintenance problems. Car was a rental for the first year of its life so we have been pleasantly surprised at its reliability since we bought it at 30000 miles. Excellent paint job, rubber door trim and doors close with a nice solid thump! V-6 engine very quiet once warmed up.

After 45,000 kms
By Ray Suryadinata on 12/29/08 15:16 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Car is still going strong. No engine issues, no accessories issues. Interior trim issue related to the 2nd passenger seat handle covers. Both sides came off and replaced under warranty. Carpeting in the third row seat area came off (kids inadvertently kicked them off). It turned out the carpet was not glued or fixed permanently but only inserted under the seat and held by Velcro fasteners. The third seats have been used quite frequently and are bearable for adults during short trips. Other than that the winter driving is super. In spite of 4 inches of snow, no need for winter tires as the 4WD system made the all-season tires still adequate.

2006 XL7 My first SUV
By Allisha on 06/17/08 07:37 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought my XL7 less than a year ago, and the single CD player doesnt work, I have had my rotors "shaved" 2x, and my brake pads are completely wore down, and I am a very light braker! I'm confused with the OD button on the side of my shifter. This was the last car on the lot that I saw but once I jumped in, I knew I wanted it. Not a big fan of the wood trim in the car, but it does have style and that's what grabbed my attention. The gas is gone quite fast, but overall I would definitely buy another one although I'm having so many issues with this one. It's very reliable, and I trust the strength having my kids inside. I have filled this truck up with lots of people and lots of boxes.

Not very pump friendly
By binkys4deep on 06/01/08 10:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I'm not very in love with how fast the gas seems to go in my XL-7. And not only that, I had trouble with my air conditioning not even a whole year after buying it. My CD player is not working too well at this point. Things just seem to be going wrong while only having it less than two years But at least most things are still under warranty. But who wants to have to get things worked on so soon? It served its purpose when I first got it, because I needed something that seated seven. And now that I don't need the space, I feel stuck because at this point, the car is only worth about half of what I still owe!

Nice family SUV
By sam on 08/30/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have used Toyota vehicles till now. We were reluctant to buy Suzuki. But when we compared Highlander to Suzuki, the price won and we decided to try Suzuki XL-7. XL-7 has still not disappointed us at all. It has been reliable, no troubles at all. So far satisfied with its performance. We used it to tow when we recently moved and it was great. Nice SUV.

First three months
By Ray Suryadinata on 07/03/07 12:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 4dr SUV 4WD w/3rd Row (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the car in 2007 and got an end of year discount on this 2006. The 2007 is bigger with larger engine and built in Canada. But this 2006 is the last import to Canada still made 100% in Japan. True the 2006 is less spacious than the 2007, but the 2006 seems to be built more solidly and has better standard features. Just came back from 1000 km trip. The highway mileage was pretty good, better than expected considering still in break-in period. We haven't used all seven seatings, but had six people several times and smallish adults in the third seat row had no complaints.

Excellent SUV
By Cold War Vet on 04/11/07 09:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki XL-7 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I live in an area were temperatures fall below -40 and the roads look more like horse trails because of its body on frame design it handles the punishment with ease. It has yet to get stuck in snow or on off road terrain. The build quality is superb.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.