Alternative to Explorer & Highlander
By beanezuelan on
2004 Suzuki XL-7 EX III 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)
This is a great car for young families (w/kids 0 to five) that, for whatever reason, do not want to buy a minivan. I honestly believe that if you want/can compromise on a few features, it's a great value. When doing my research I was comparing this vehicle with Ford Explorer and Toyota Highlander. When you throw in all the features included in the XL-7's EX III package and compare with these other two, you are getting a lot more for your money. One item people asked me a lot about was engine hp, I find the 185 hp V6 engine is adequate. You have to realize that this car is about 650 lbs lighter than a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, which comes w/std. 210 hp V6.
Favorite Features
The 3rd row seat, where u can fit two car seats (unlike Highlander, XL-7 has safety latches for 3rd row) to leave 2nd row for uncles/grandparents during long trips. Other favorites are car-like ride, easy parking, and std pwr sunroof, rear a/c, leather, & side step running brds.
Suggested Improvements
If Suzuki could make this car slightly wider, give it a little more power - while keeping/improving mpg - and a larger fuel tank, they would be in serious business. The XL-7 would give any midSUV a good run for their money as is, and if you are willing to compromise you will save big.