Used 2004 Suzuki XL-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:

Most Helpful|
2004 XL-7
By bb

2004 Suzuki XL-7 LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned our Suzuki XL-7 for 1 1/2 years. The reason I bought it was the warranty, the design, and the trade in deal they gave me. It feels very solid and handles well, I am 6 feet tall and there is a lot of headroom. I think the XL-7 could be a bit longer, but it is adeqaute with smaller kids. We have the 3rd row seat which is very tight. If the SUV was a foot longer the 3rd row would be a bit more pratical. We bought out XL-7 with 6,000 miles on it for $20000, $15,000 with our trade. The dealer gave me $5,000 for a 1994 Ford Explorer Limited with 99,000 miles on it. My wife likes the size of the XL-7 and finds it easy to navigate. She feels safe driving in snow with the 4WD.

Favorite Features

The dash board and rear storage.

Suggested Improvements

The front console could be a bit narrower and the XL-7 could be longer for more leg room.

Check It Out
By grntd22

2004 Suzuki XL-7 LX III 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

The Suzuki XL-7 is a great SUV. It would be much better though if they offered more power and towing capacity. the 2.7 liter engine is too weak.

Favorite Features

I like the wood trim.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the size of the engine.

One of a Kind - Fun to Drive
By CSI

2004 Suzuki XL-7 EX III 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have ownedmy 2004 Suzuki XL-7 for eight months and have had problems with the rear end differential and CD changer and problems with the 4x4 disengaging. Other than that, I really like driving it. The 4x4 does not disengage properly when the tempurature outside is less than 30 degrees, which is not a good thing in Minnesota. I get 16 -19 mpg and the gas tank is too small, so I spend a lot of time at the gas station. The engine is underpowered for the vehicle.

Favorite Features

This truck has a great turning radius, steering wheel controls, and heated seats and side mirrors. The 3rd row seats are comfortable. It has one of kind looks and a good view of the road. Sometimes I forget I am driving an SUV because it handles like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the gas mileage by 5 to 10 mpg. Design a 4x4 that functions properly in the cold weather. Make the headrest solid without the square hole in it and the seats a little more comfortable. Tint the rear windows darker so everyone cannot see right in.

Okay But Needs Improvement
By SamuelB

2004 Suzuki XL-7 LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

As midsize SUVs go the Suzuki XL7 is a bargain. Mine stickered for almost $23,000 but with discounts got it for only $17K. Considering you get automatic temperature control air conditioning, CD player, cruise control, and antilock brakes in the deal that's not too bad. I've put 11,000 miles on it and have had no problems. The build quality is quite good and the doors sound solid when you shut them. The driving position is comfortable and it performs reasonably well except in high winds. The gas mileage is much worse than I would have expected in a 6 cylinder midsize SUV, and the engine could use more power.

Favorite Features

Build quality, driving position.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a more powerful engine and better gas mileage. Make the rear seat easier to fold down-it's way too confusing. Lose the steering wheel radio controls-they're so inconveniently placed that it's easier to reach over to the radio and adjust it.

Durable but Needs to have a Better Ride
By Trish

2004 Suzuki XL-7 LX Rwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving my XL-7 around town but do not like taking it on long trips due to the rough ride. The ride is very bumpy and uncomfortable. I read that the '07 model will have a smoother ride. If that's the case I wouldn't hesitate to consider purchasing one. The price and warranty are good. Its reliability is good. I have not had any problems.

Favorite Features

The interior is nice with the wood grain. I have the cosmic blue color which gets a lot of attention.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the choppy ride, rocking, and add cupholders in the back.