Used 2002 Suzuki XL-7 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Suzuki XL-7

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:

93k and still going
By Tom

2002 Suzuki XL-7 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Clock turned 93k and still going. 5 speed manual tranny and still same clutch. Love the truck, takes a beating and still ticking. Live in NYC, bad roads etc. Still solid. Blew a wheel bearing at 90k (bad roads) quick repair cheap (not at the dealer). Too bad they had to ruin it with the 08 models. They had a good SUV at a good price. Hope mine lasts another 5 years.

Favorite Features

Love the mechanical shifting for the 4WD. No buttons to go bad or push. Solid nonsense truck.

Not terrible
By Shannon

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Good price for an SUV with third row seat which is WAY too small for frequent use. My husband hates this car, but It never gave us a problem until the service engine light came on at 60k miles. It turned out to be a bad O2 sensor for $250. On maybe 5 different occasions, the belt squealed briefly when turning on the A/C then stopped. I should have taken it to the shop immediately. At 100,000 miles, the A/C compressor locked up and caused the belt to break - a $1,400 repair in total. Fuel efficiency is horrible, avg 17-20 mpg.

Favorite Features

Third row seat is a great feature if you occasionally carry extra passengers. Cargo space with seats folded.

Suggested Improvements

Third row seat. A/C system.

Great Car!
By caseyph

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my XL-7. I got it after I needed to use my aunt's XL-7 and loved it. It has plenty of room for myself and children. I recently took it on a road trip and it did wonderful. This truck is a keeper until it's time to trade it in and even then It'll be for another XL- 7.

Favorite Features

The third row back seat and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

The third row is a little cramped, more space should be provided.

Classy Little Ride
By NioGio

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Back in '96 I purchased a new Suzuki Tracker 4x4 convertible. It was probably the best all around vehicle I have ever owned...fun to drive, never got stuck ANYWHERE, stingy on the gas and an easy to maintain stylish interior(for the money). So in 2000, when Chevy introduced the Chevy Tracker 4dr 4x4...I just HAD to have it! It had an upgraded goodies package that raised the price to $21,000. I couldn't WAIT to turn that thing in when the lease was up, it was awful and nothing but problems! In 2005 I came across a used XL-7, took it for a test drive and fell in love all over again. It is everything I loved about the Sidekick in a bigger, beefier package! Sorry Chevy, but Suzuki wins this one hands down.

Favorite Features

This vehicle has a solid body and handling, great looks inside and out, lots of cab and cargo room, easy to maneuver dash and controls, privacy glass, a nice sound system, power everything standard, an easy clean interior, very peppy engine, and ME behind the wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Offer intermittent control for the rear wiper, CD storage, better "drip resistance" from water roll-off from roof, and a better cargo cover headrest clip system. It also should have a head rests that tilt forward to actually make contact with your head. Have the automatic entry light stay on a bit longer.

Long-Term Use Report
By SFBay

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Got my Suzuki XL-7 in 12/01 and still like it today after 53,000 miles. It was the best SUV for the money at the time with its 3rd row seats and REAL part-time 4WD. I commute with it and now after break-in, Iím getting 20 mpg, I only got 17 mpg before. My XL-7 feels heavy but still it is still fun and sporty to drive. It did really well at the off-road course I took last year. The only problem I had was a coolant leak which may be the dealer's fault. I recommend regular trans/diff fluid changes. And the original tires are lousy, mine were bald at 15,000 miles. Go with Yokohamas, mine are still like new after 30,000 miles. I solved my oil filter access problem by cutting a hole at the wheel well and bolted on an aluminum sheet door. The colored weather strips have all faded.

Favorite Features

The 3rd row seats, real 4WD performance in snow, and it looks great in the gold color. It has lots of great standard features in the Touring model! The whole concept of this small 3 row SUV is so good, Toyota has made one with the new RAV4.

Suggested Improvements

The 17 gallon gas tank is too small which gives me < 300 mile range - even a 20 gallon tank would have been better. Get better dealers.