Used 2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Suzuki Xl-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:

227,000 miles and still kicking
By cmerrell

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car is excellent, it just keeps going even after 227,000+ miles.The ride is smooth and quiet. I keep running into owners with the same year and model and they're all boasting high mileage with little problems. 100,000 miles ago I had a problem with one side of the catalytic converter. The cost, $900, never got the other side done. Other repairs:power windows, a heating element, freon for the AC. I never had a tuneup, transmission flush, or any maintenance, just regular oil changes. The only thing I don't like is the 17/20/mpg cost because I drive an average of 20,000 miles a year, there is no icon that reminds you gas is low (ran out several times), and now a slow oil leak -2qts a month.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the heated seats, plenty of room for friends, family, and hauling stuff, and smooth comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Laying down seats in 2nd and 3rd row for hauling stuff can be a little hard and awkward.

A Real Surprise
By jewelrylover

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving this vehicle daily since August of 2002. Previous to this purchase, I only thought of Suzuki for motorcycles. This car has really outperformed any car I have owned. Snow, sleet, rain, high winds - no problem. Three sons have learned to drive in this car and they have put this car throughthe ringer, but it keeps going reliably. Although I have given thought recently to replace it with something smaller and brand new, I am hesitant that I will find as good and sturdy a vehicle. Vehicle has well over 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The third row seating that folded into extra cargo space was a major selling point. The body didn't have a "cookie-cutter" look. Comfortable, roomy interior. The interior plastics, knobs, etc. have never broken or popped off. Have had much higher end vehicles where the interior plastics were very cheap. The upholstery has held up excellent and its going on 12 years. Very low maintenance. Really a workhorse.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system was never the best and that's the only item (other than tires of course) that has needed replacement.

8 YEARS AND NOT ONE REPAIR....
By et2011

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

8 YEARS AND NOT ONE REPAIR....I have had this SUV since 2003 - I have not had one repair other than wear and tear items like breaks, wipers, bulbs, and oil changes. This SUV has been the BEST car ever. It's 4WD gets you through the tough winters...the only thing the SUV lacks is the comfort and luxury. It now has $122K on it...I am ready for something new....I wish the new ones had a comfortable seat...and came standard with more of the luxury items...

Favorite Features

Reliability...

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, and a hotter heater.

Watch out for the air compressor
By LadyDarya

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My advice is to do serious research on the XL-7. The a/c compressor has a serious habit of freezing up and breaking the drive belt. This is not a cheap fix. I pulled the B04 relay and just went without the a/c. Brakes are not that great and go out frequently and trying to find someone outside the dealership to work on it is not fun! Oh and the 2001 and 2002 models tend to loose their gas door (as in it comes off).

Favorite Features

Leather seating.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the a/c compressor defect and better gas mileage would be helpful.

Luv My XL-7
By pam

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We bought my XL-7 used it had 60,770 miles on it. My husband wanted to get me a better vehicle for my 40 mile commute. I love it. I never really thought I would like a utility vehicle but this one has surprised me. Corners well easy to handle and I can see out all around. Great little truck. I would highly recommend it to anyone that needs a 4X4 and it sports plenty of room and a third row seat for my grandchildren. My teenage daughter even likes to drive it. Very stylish looking and I would definitely buy another one. Best vehicle I have ever owned and I have had quite a few.

Favorite Features

Dual air/heat, heated mirrors, rear door swings out which makes for easy access, third row seating, 4X4.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is really my only complaint at 18-20 mpg.