2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:
227,000 miles and still kicking
By cmerrell on 01/25/14 08:01 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car is excellent, it just keeps going even after 227,000+ miles.The ride is smooth and quiet. I keep running into owners with the same year and model and they're all boasting high mileage with little problems. 100,000 miles ago I had a problem with one side of the catalytic converter. The cost, $900, never got the other side done. Other repairs:power windows, a heating element, freon for the AC. I never had a tuneup, transmission flush, or any maintenance, just regular oil changes. The only thing I don't like is the 17/20/mpg cost because I drive an average of 20,000 miles a year, there is no icon that reminds you gas is low (ran out several times), and now a slow oil leak -2qts a month.

A Real Surprise
By jewelrylover on 10/25/13 05:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving this vehicle daily since August of 2002. Previous to this purchase, I only thought of Suzuki for motorcycles. This car has really outperformed any car I have owned. Snow, sleet, rain, high winds - no problem. Three sons have learned to drive in this car and they have put this car throughthe ringer, but it keeps going reliably. Although I have given thought recently to replace it with something smaller and brand new, I am hesitant that I will find as good and sturdy a vehicle. Vehicle has well over 100,000 miles.

8 YEARS AND NOT ONE REPAIR....
By et2011 on 01/18/11 08:48 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

8 YEARS AND NOT ONE REPAIR....I have had this SUV since 2003 - I have not had one repair other than wear and tear items like breaks, wipers, bulbs, and oil changes. This SUV has been the BEST car ever. It's 4WD gets you through the tough winters...the only thing the SUV lacks is the comfort and luxury. It now has $122K on it...I am ready for something new....I wish the new ones had a comfortable seat...and came standard with more of the luxury items...

Watch out for the air compressor
By LadyDarya on 11/30/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My advice is to do serious research on the XL-7. The a/c compressor has a serious habit of freezing up and breaking the drive belt. This is not a cheap fix. I pulled the B04 relay and just went without the a/c. Brakes are not that great and go out frequently and trying to find someone outside the dealership to work on it is not fun! Oh and the 2001 and 2002 models tend to loose their gas door (as in it comes off).

Luv My XL-7
By pam on 07/16/08 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We bought my XL-7 used it had 60,770 miles on it. My husband wanted to get me a better vehicle for my 40 mile commute. I love it. I never really thought I would like a utility vehicle but this one has surprised me. Corners well easy to handle and I can see out all around. Great little truck. I would highly recommend it to anyone that needs a 4X4 and it sports plenty of room and a third row seat for my grandchildren. My teenage daughter even likes to drive it. Very stylish looking and I would definitely buy another one. Best vehicle I have ever owned and I have had quite a few.

93k and still going
By Tom on 04/23/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Clock turned 93k and still going. 5 speed manual tranny and still same clutch. Love the truck, takes a beating and still ticking. Live in NYC, bad roads etc. Still solid. Blew a wheel bearing at 90k (bad roads) quick repair cheap (not at the dealer). Too bad they had to ruin it with the 08 models. They had a good SUV at a good price. Hope mine lasts another 5 years.

Not terrible
By Shannon on 04/07/07 15:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Plus 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Good price for an SUV with third row seat which is WAY too small for frequent use. My husband hates this car, but It never gave us a problem until the service engine light came on at 60k miles. It turned out to be a bad O2 sensor for $250. On maybe 5 different occasions, the belt squealed briefly when turning on the A/C then stopped. I should have taken it to the shop immediately. At 100,000 miles, the A/C compressor locked up and caused the belt to break - a $1,400 repair in total. Fuel efficiency is horrible, avg 17-20 mpg.

Great Car!
By caseyph on 03/01/07 12:22 PM (PST)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my XL-7. I got it after I needed to use my aunt's XL-7 and loved it. It has plenty of room for myself and children. I recently took it on a road trip and it did wonderful. This truck is a keeper until it's time to trade it in and even then It'll be for another XL- 7.

Classy Little Ride
By NioGio on 12/31/06 11:11 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Back in '96 I purchased a new Suzuki Tracker 4x4 convertible. It was probably the best all around vehicle I have ever owned...fun to drive, never got stuck ANYWHERE, stingy on the gas and an easy to maintain stylish interior(for the money). So in 2000, when Chevy introduced the Chevy Tracker 4dr 4x4...I just HAD to have it! It had an upgraded goodies package that raised the price to $21,000. I couldn't WAIT to turn that thing in when the lease was up, it was awful and nothing but problems! In 2005 I came across a used XL-7, took it for a test drive and fell in love all over again. It is everything I loved about the Sidekick in a bigger, beefier package! Sorry Chevy, but Suzuki wins this one hands down.

Long-Term Use Report
By SFBay on 07/20/06 14:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Got my Suzuki XL-7 in 12/01 and still like it today after 53,000 miles. It was the best SUV for the money at the time with its 3rd row seats and REAL part-time 4WD. I commute with it and now after break-in, I’m getting 20 mpg, I only got 17 mpg before. My XL-7 feels heavy but still it is still fun and sporty to drive. It did really well at the off-road course I took last year. The only problem I had was a coolant leak which may be the dealer's fault. I recommend regular trans/diff fluid changes. And the original tires are lousy, mine were bald at 15,000 miles. Go with Yokohamas, mine are still like new after 30,000 miles. I solved my oil filter access problem by cutting a hole at the wheel well and bolted on an aluminum sheet door. The colored weather strips have all faded.