Used 2002 Suzuki XL-7 Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Suzuki XL-7 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Suzuki XL-7

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:

215k miles and still going strong!
By blahblah83

2002 Suzuki XL-7 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 2002 XL7 for nearly 10 years now. Second Owner. I have gone from 91k miles up to 215k and it's still running like a champ despite my lack of consistent maintenance. I've gone through all the normal stuff like tires, breaks, batteries, windshield wipers, headlights, oil changes and have very few complaints. 1 - not quite enough space for a rear-facing infant carrier. I have to pull up the passenger front seat to the point where only a small adult would be able to sit comfortably. I'm 5'7" and can't sit as a passenger up front with a rear facing infant seat in the vehicle. 2 - I've got a bit of an oil leak and lose about 2 qts a month. 3 - my fuel economy has dropped to an average of 13-15 mpg regardless of city or highway miles. BUT THAT'S IT. Everything else about this vehicle has been amazing. It handles more like a car but after putting a tow hitch on myself (ridiculously super easy by the way to do so) I've been able to tow trailers and even drift boats without any issues. My XL7 handles well on both sand and even pebbly river banks (with a trailer even). It handles well in the snow and even ice, though I would suggest adding a few sandbags for extra weight when there is ice on the road for more than a day. It's a great height for transporting both kids and dogs as both can easily climb in and out on their own. There are child LATCHes which make it easy for child car-seats, booster-seats, and infant carriers to be snapped in and secured quickly. Overall, I have been thoroughly impressed and VERY PLEASED with my XL7. Like I said 215k miles and still going strong!

227,000 miles and still kicking
By cmerrell

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car is excellent, it just keeps going even after 227,000+ miles.The ride is smooth and quiet. I keep running into owners with the same year and model and they're all boasting high mileage with little problems. 100,000 miles ago I had a problem with one side of the catalytic converter. The cost, $900, never got the other side done. Other repairs:power windows, a heating element, freon for the AC. I never had a tuneup, transmission flush, or any maintenance, just regular oil changes. The only thing I don't like is the 17/20/mpg cost because I drive an average of 20,000 miles a year, there is no icon that reminds you gas is low (ran out several times), and now a slow oil leak -2qts a month.

My favorite features are the heated seats, plenty of room for friends, family, and hauling stuff, and smooth comfortable ride.

Laying down seats in 2nd and 3rd row for hauling stuff can be a little hard and awkward.

A Real Surprise
By jewelrylover

2002 Suzuki XL-7 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving this vehicle daily since August of 2002.
Previous to this purchase, I only thought of Suzuki for motorcycles.
This car has really outperformed any car I have owned.
Snow, sleet, rain, high winds - no problem.
Three sons have learned to drive in this car and they have put this car throughthe ringer, but it keeps going
reliably.
Although I have given thought recently to replace it with something smaller and brand new, I am hesitant that I will find as good and sturdy a vehicle.
Vehicle has well
over 100,000 miles.

The third row seating that folded into extra cargo space was a major selling point. The body didn't have a "cookie-cutter" look. Comfortable, roomy interior. The interior plastics, knobs, etc. have never broken or popped off. Have had much higher end vehicles where the interior plastics were very cheap. The upholstery has held up excellent and its going on 12 years. Very low maintenance. Really a workhorse.

The sound system was never the best and that's the only item (other than tires of course) that has needed replacement.

8 YEARS AND NOT ONE REPAIR....
By et2011

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

8 YEARS AND NOT ONE REPAIR....I have had this SUV since 2003 - I have not had one repair other than wear and tear items like breaks, wipers, bulbs, and oil changes.
This SUV has
been the BEST car ever.
It's 4WD gets you through the tough winters...the only thing the SUV lacks is the comfort and luxury.
It now has $122K on it...I am ready for something new....I wish the new ones had a comfortable seat...and came standard with more of the luxury items...

Reliability...

More comfortable seats, and a hotter heater.

Watch out for the air compressor
By LadyDarya

2002 Suzuki XL-7 Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My advice is to do serious research on the XL-7. The a/c compressor has a serious habit of freezing up and breaking the drive belt. This is not a cheap fix. I pulled the B04 relay and just went without the a/c. Brakes are not that great and go out frequently and trying to find someone outside the dealership to work on it is not fun! Oh and the 2001 and 2002 models tend to loose their gas door (as in it comes off).

Leather seating.

Fix the a/c compressor defect and better gas mileage would be helpful.