Used 2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:

2001 XL-7 Review
By JENNIFER

2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

The Suzuki XL-7 is visually cute on the outside. However, the interior is small and compact in all roows of seating. The dash organization is poorly done. The radio is on the bottom of the dash and hard to reach and see, which I think makes it a danger to change stations when driving. As far as the driving of the vechicle, it's okay on a perfect day with NO wind. With even the slightest wind, it's nearly impossible to handle, for male and especially female adults. We've even been told we look like drunk drivers and believe me it's the car, not our skills.

The outside appearance is great.

Make it a bit wider to make it handle better, give it more leg room, and improve the dash. And how about electronic 4WD bottons instead of the 4WD shift and give us more storage. It also needs better cup holders, not the plain squares that whatever you put in there rocks or vibrates.

Best Value SUV
By Perry Armstrong

2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have not had one problem with my XL-7. It rides nice and smooth like a car and it I love the "power switch." It's like a James Bond SUV (used for passing or for getting a jump start). I don't have any complaints. It's a great value buy. This is why we purchased it.

The "power button" - For a little EXTRA speed.

Add a remote starter.

Reliable Suzuki XL-7
By Linda F. Burgos

2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

My 2001 Suzuki XL-7 is a good vehicle for taking kids from Point A to Point B. I have never had a single mechanical problem. The four wheel drive is excellent. And, I like the versatility of the third row seat. However, better quality interior materials would be nice to consider as a future improvement. My son frequently rested his feet on the rear passenger seat when he was a toddler so that the pocket on the back seat ripped open. In my opinion, for a car that is marketed to moms with kids, the seat ripped a little too easily. And, the plastic trim around the sunroof has an annoying habit of coming loose. Despite these minor issues, it is a solid car.

This vehicle is extremely reliable. The four wheel drive is dependable in very wet slippery conditions. And, I can do a lot with the versatile interior with a third row seat.

Upgrade the interior materials. And, figure out a way to eliminate the slots in the floor that are used to slide the seat back and forth. These are too hard to reach with a vacuum cleaner. Add a little more horsepower, and a few safety features such as side airbags.

Suzuki
By pferraro

2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV Plus 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Decent vehicle with good reliablty. Retained value over time is very poor however. Plan on keeping this vehicle, even if you acquired it for well under list price, as it's trade in value is very low.

Good suspension, relaible, adequate power and room. Good safety numbers. Full body on frame construction. AFter market parts are resonably priced and available.

H rated OEM tires need to go to allow ore tire choices. Larger fender wells to allow 65 or 70 series tires. Heat/AC controls need improvement. AC condensor fan quality needs to be improved. Dealer supplied parts and service are expensive.

can't wait til i get rid of it!!
By tpiantedosi

2001 Suzuki XL-7 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 XL7. I have had many problems from day one. Within the 1st few weeks I had a transmition leak. Which the dealer fixed. After only 2 years and 24000 miles the tires were bald. Though was told that it was not a suzuki problem. (though it is known that the tires are horrible on the XL7). I recently lost the gas door cover because the clamp inside rotted. Though again not the dealers problem. The 3rd row seat is unusable. Children barely fit never mind and adult. And the gas mileage is horrible. The inside is cheap looking. But it does have many cup holders and a light in the ashtray. I would not recommend this SUV. Instead get a Toyato Rav 4. Had that before.

light in ashtray, plenty of cup holders. Body looks nice.

The whole auto except the ashtray and cup holders.