2001 Suzuki XL-7 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XL-7 model:
Suzuki XL-7 4X4 still running
By pcabral on 07/04/14 15:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Aside from the breaks, exhaust, tires, tie rods,balljoints and wear and tear items this rig has pulled a 3000 lbs. boat w/trailer and transported our family around for 239000 with original transmission and rear end. The engine was replaced due to a mishap with the "fast oil change place"not tightening down the oil plug, so My replacement engine has 50,000 less than the body and purrs like a cat.Self-adjusting timimg chain and all. Love this beast, and 22 mpg with 4x4 capable is an awsome value for reliable and capable travel. Keep an eye on the rust especially the frame and treat it early. This rig is a one owner (13 years) and I don't look forward to getting rid of it.

You can't find any other car for this price and performance during 2001.
By srk2040 on 02/20/13 05:16 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Had the car from dealer's lot brand new. Few facts about this car: 1) the engine bay has a flex bar across it 2) the frame is liquid filled to reduce vibration 3) came with direct electronic ignition as opposed to plugs and wires. 4) has third row of seat. 5) OEM tires are exact same as Lexus RX300, Dueler HT. The front brake wears out lot quicker than what I'm used to. Amazingly, the rear drum brake has never been changed and it always passes the inspection. It's on 170,000 mile now. Comes with lot of upgrade if you really into it. I installed rear catch net, rear door net storage, window rain deflector. Overall, you can not find any other car like this even today 2013 that is true 4x4

Handles like my sports car!
By Jim on 07/07/10 09:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this based on test drive and 3rd seat. First experience with 4WD. Had the over-size wheel/tire (option?). This XL-7 has been awesome. Dealer repairs VERY expensive. Driver seat back torn out due to years of toddler abuse (LoL). Car still drives like new. Fast steering - handles very similar to my Miata in fact - may give some used to the GM slush boxes some fun in the wind at highway speeds. Only problem was aluminum chips in early production A/C compressors caused a lot of failures in 01 02 XL-7s; and replacement / system flush averaged between $2000 and $2500 at the dealers.

Shotty Air Conditioner Over and Over
By Disappointed on 07/30/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my car, except that each year the air conditioner goes out. This year I am told the cost is $1,000+ just for the part condenser or compressor?? And it had to have a dual air conditioner. :-( The car is probably not even worth that much. Too bad that the dealer were so bad on fixing this one problem. Other than that, the car has been perfect. Love the fact that the gasoline door is on the passenger side. It's fully loaded and got what I paid for . .no repairs other than regular maintenance-not bad for an 8yr old car. Body and interior in perfect condition still.

Best SUV for the Price
By Euclid Oh on 01/01/09 18:08 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We were looking for a midsized SUV to replace a Caravan. The Suzuki actually did better than we ever expected. The truck came with full power and rear AC as well as seats 7. The engine is very peppy for its engine size, but is kind of fuel thirsty. Ours now has 60k, but actually 48k. If you have a Suzuki, the trip odometer may not be accurate. Other than this, this was one of the best vehicle purchases that I made, in a list that includes Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, and others that I have owned.

Keeps Going and Going
By Glenn on 06/03/08 13:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

After 155,000 (40% off road) this is a little tank! I have not had one major thing go wrong after almost 5 years of abuse. Its comfortable on the road and plenty of room for 6. It can be towed 4 wheels down with ease. Its funny to see the surprize looks when leave people at a light after pushing the power button. For the price you just can't beat it.

My baby
By jentomko on 03/02/08 01:55 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I owned this vehicle for about 2 years, and I didn't realize just what a wonderful suv I had until I sold it. I have been searching for another suv ever since then, and nothing compares. I just can't find ANYTHING that even begins to compare to the this vehicle. I am serious. I never realized just how much I truly loved it until it was gone.

2001 Suzuki XL-7
By STAY AWAY on 09/07/07 10:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this car when I bought. However, the tires do wear out soon. The major problem is the timing chain tensioner. It is a bad design. Suzuki is not offering any help with this. This repair costs around $1600.00.

Best Buy for the Money
By Skidney on 04/27/06 17:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in 2001 and I have had no problems with it. It is the absolute best buy in the class. It has real 4x4, 3,000 lbs. towing, dual A/C, and third row seating for the same price of a CR-V or a RAV4. I have towed a 2,800 lb. camper with success (mountains were a little stressful).

Hate It
By chris on 03/30/06 17:35 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki XL-7 Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I can't stand my Suzuki XL-7. I have had so many problems with it and the dealer refuses to fix any of them. I wish that I never bought it. I will never buy any other vehicle from Suzuki in my life and will tell all my friends not to either.

1 2 3 4 5 next »