2002 Suzuki Vitara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vitara model:
185K Miles with some work
By drkrdr318 on 07/03/13 16:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLS 2WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed my Vitara since I purchased new of the showroom floor. I will have to say the up keep and cost have been a little intense since 150K miles but well worth the trade off. The fuel tank wires frayed (easy fix), Alternator (new brushes 14.95), rear brake shoes (178K miles), differential fluid change (180K make sure you check if your around alot of high water) and Mobil 1 high milage synth every 3,000 miles. Still running strong. Ive change the front brakes 3x and finally went to cryo rotors with synth pads. Worst problem, A/C pump failed and a/c leaks. Other then the A/C I use maybe 1/4 qt of oil every third fill up. Not bad in my book. www.oemsuzukiparts.com

3 to 5 days for parts
By suzuki gone wild on 02/27/09 18:12 PM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

hi there, i been driving my Vitara for 7 years now the truck just hit 200k miles and its starting to see some oil leaks on the engine and lets get to my point .... everytime something brakes i have to find a suzuki dealer for parts and it takes 3-5 days to get parts.1st thing to go was the alt and i had to get one at a autozone 3 hours away and needed it. was on a sunday and i needed to get to work on monday.road trip.the rear passanger side alxe bearings went out...the alxe almost come out!!!! the brakes failed..if you want a car that takes 3- 5 days to fix buy one

All-Round Duty-Bound
By Scott Keirn on 06/19/08 05:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little SUV in this day of outrageous gas prices. By traveling 5-10 mph under the speed limit, my scanguage tells me I average 31-32 mpg. Good little vehicle for a man or woman and fun to drive and easy to maintain.

My Suzuki
By khill on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no probelms with the car to speak of but the dealer is another thing The only wisdom I would give is if you're going to do any towing ( i tow 2 quads) I would get the V-6 My 4 cyl. is borderline for hills and such Other than that ilove it Off road it really shines not fast or alot of ground clearance but pick your route carefully and if it can clear it it'll take you ANYWHERE..... KW

My Third One
By WOldaker on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 3rd 4wd Suzuki I have owned. irst was a Samauri,then Side Kick. and the last one the Vitara. After owning the "dangerous" Samuari :=) I knew I would probabably never drive anther brand though would opt for more comforts. It was time for my wife to get a new vehicle so she ended up with the Vitara. My Sidekick only has 170000 miles and is not ready to go yet. My wife teaches at 2 colleges 50+ miles from each other and I wanted to have a reliable, durable and safe vehicle for her in any weather or situation. That sums up the Suzuki Vitara.

So far, so good.
By wfalone on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I use this car for work in the city. It is comfortable, quiet, and well assembled. Not particularly peppy (automatic). Visiblity is good. Nice size, great manuverability. Fine climate controls. Real bad back seat leg room if you have two adults in the front seats. My biggest gripe is that I cannot seem to exceed 20 mpg city/ 23 mpg hiway (no matter how gently I drive).

SUV wannabe, well worth the title
By Jonny Matrix on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was very skeptical about this vehicle at first. I am a frequent traveller, and being in the military, it's understandable that a vehicle with storage capacity's needed. Having had an Isuzu Rodeo with a 4 cyl engine, I experienced that the vehicle was too heavy for its engine. I also needed something with a decent fuel economy. Having have had a brand new Vitara for about a month now, and putting on 2800 miles, it's proven to me more than worthy. It is definitely one good way to start in an SUV, and I should have done so sooner.

A Genuine Mini 4-Wheeler
By Army Veteran on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle has been a pleasant surprise in comparison with the Jeep Wrangler. Unlike some competitors it has a 4WD Hi/4WD Lo transfer case, and is based on a true "truck" body. It has less than half the turning radius of a Jeep Wrangler. The rack-and-pinion steering has a more precise feel. I also got the advertised 25 mpg mileage, which is 40% better than the Jeep. The torquy 16-valve DOHC 2 liter four breathes freely at top end. Too bad Jeep doesn't make this little 4-wheeler!

Nice to look at...but engine is weak!
By BassPimpGirl on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In general, I do like my Suzuki. I selected the Suzuki over other small SUV models because it was reasonably priced and had more "bells and whistles." In this area I am not disappointed. I am very disheartened by its weak engine, though. Whenever I am using the cruise control on even the slightest of inclines, the engine struggles and does not maintain a constant speed. I did not have this problem with my 2000 Kia Sportage.

Great value
By joenalley72 on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle has alot of get up ang go for a 4 cyclinder. The ride is really good to. For the money i think i made the right choice. The 4 wheel drive will be nice in the winter.