2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vitara model:
Good car, expected maintenance
By shelbyk on 01/04/14 16:50 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car used in 2009 with 118K miles on it. Had a problem with a very squealy belt, replaced, still squealed. Honestly don't remember what resolved this issue. Radiator cracked at 140K for the first time. Cracked twice after (warrantied), turns out the water pump was building too much pressure, replaced water pump. O2 sensors replaced at 160K. Maybe have spent $1000 over 5 years on maintenance (excluding oil changes, brakes, filters, tires, etc., also all labor done by my loving father). Overall this car has been very reliable and required little maintenance for an older car with exponential miles. 22-26 mpg, no difference between highway/city but winter/summer.

4X4 2-Door Vitara
By gregggg on 02/08/13 00:27 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Vitara about 9 yrs with over 130,000 miles. No repairs needed except an o2 sensor at 100,000 mi I live in the mountains at about 5000 ft I go off road and drive in snow all the time * I gave it a 5 for comfort taking into consideration it is a body on frame 4x4 getting 20-25 mpg

Fun Toy
By Keeper on 04/11/10 13:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new to replace my 1994 Geo Metro. With the exception of the air conditioning, this has been an ongoing issue that both the dealership and Suzuki have tried to resolve, even after the warranty had expired, but still goes out every year. I used this car for pizza delivery for many years and it has help up great. This is a great car especially with the top down. I also get between 24 and 27 mpg, in town or on the highway. I do not see differences in mileage in town or on the highway.

2001 Suzuki Vitara JX
By Mary on 07/09/09 08:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like my vitara very much and feel very safe driving it. It handles excellent in the snow and I have never had a problem with it when windy out.Its been very reliable and I have had it since it was new and I still love it. I would say to anyone looking to buy one that you really cant go wrong with this Vitara 2001. I have had mine 8 years now and its still going strong.I can understand why you don't see too many people selling them. Once you have one its hard to part with it.

No long-term reliability
By SATX on 06/13/08 11:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Suzuki was great for the first few years, but once my extended warranty ran out, it started falling apart between 80k~91k. First went the auto-entry device, then the A/C, then some electrical problems started flaring up where my headlights and interior lights pulse at night, then an automated window went out, then the interior dome light shorted, and the final two kickers--it was not starting up, then finally it started dying on the road randomly and shaking and needing a time-out before I can restart it. The worst part is, either we have terrible mechanics in Texas or this is a hard car to work on, because no one can figure it out! A car should not be rendered worthless at 91k!

Turned out to be a financial disaster.
By mensacyclist on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

AVOID!!!! I bought my Vitara in June of 01, got a "good deal", got an extended warranty and planned on keeping it for 7-8 years. I've always bought Japanese in the past and would not consider anything else. At 56,000 miles the clutch went. The dealer wanted $993, local mechanic needed about $700. There are NO aftermarket parts for this car and the dealer parts are too expensive to be worth the while. I traded the Vitara in for $5000 less than I owed on it and rolled the debt into a Dodge truck. My $15500 Vitara was worth about $4000 just 2 1/2 years layer. Check the blue book.....you'll be amazed at the deprciation.

Wear your earplugs!!!
By terpr on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vitara with the hopes of having a fun, dependable ride. What I got was a car that constantly creaks and makes noises. I've taken it in twice for the same problem and it still makes noise! It's the most infuriating thing! I dread going over a speed bump or an uneven road. It sounds like my car is going to fall apart!

The Little SUV that Could
By CryingFreeman on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've purchased a used 2001 Grand Vitara JLX with ABS and alloy wheels. I've love the styling and handling of the vehicle. It has a 155 V6 engine that's very quiet. Since I'm not 6' tall, there's no complaints coming from me concerning head and leg room. It's very comfortable for the driver as well as passengers. There's only one problem...I've noticed that during the cold days, the airbag light will stay on when you start the engine. It eventually goes away with the car is warmed up but after you restart it. As I'm writing this, the SUV is in the dealership because it's still under warranty to fix this problem.

Excellent in this price
By Chih-Hao on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Everything in this SUV is doing its job pretty well. The price is relatively cheaper. Easy to control. Beautiful exterier.

2001 suzuki
By aarika on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

very reliableand fun to drive. also a great looker always getting compliments. also great gas mileage