Used 2001 Suzuki Vitara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Suzuki Vitara - Consumer Reviews

2001 Suzuki Vitara

View reviews for a specific Vitara model:

Good car, expected maintenance
By shelbyk

2001 Suzuki Vitara JX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this car used in 2009 with 118K miles on it. Had a problem with a very squealy belt, replaced, still squealed. Honestly don't remember what resolved this issue. Radiator cracked at 140K for the first time. Cracked twice after (warrantied), turns out the water pump was building too much pressure, replaced water pump. O2 sensors replaced at 160K. Maybe have spent $1000 over 5 years on maintenance (excluding oil changes, brakes, filters, tires, etc., also all labor done by my loving father). Overall this car has been very reliable and required little maintenance for an older car with exponential miles. 22-26 mpg, no difference between highway/city but winter/summer.

4X4 2-Door Vitara
By gregggg

2001 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Vitara about 9 yrs with over 130,000 miles. No repairs needed except an o2 sensor at 100,000 mi I live in the mountains at about 5000 ft I go off road and drive in snow all the time * I gave it a 5 for comfort taking into consideration it is a body on frame 4x4 getting 20-25 mpg

Favorite Features

I am 6'2 and 300+ lbs I do not fit in a jeep wrangler. My convertible daily driver with 20 mpg

Suggested Improvements

none

Fun Toy
By Keeper

2001 Suzuki Vitara JLS 2WD 2dr Soft Top SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new to replace my 1994 Geo Metro. With the exception of the air conditioning, this has been an ongoing issue that both the dealership and Suzuki have tried to resolve, even after the warranty had expired, but still goes out every year. I used this car for pizza delivery for many years and it has help up great. This is a great car especially with the top down. I also get between 24 and 27 mpg, in town or on the highway. I do not see differences in mileage in town or on the highway.

Favorite Features

Soft top.

Suggested Improvements

There were aftermarket tops for the sidekick that were a single unit, did not have to remove the windows to remove or lower. Something like that for this design would be great.

2001 Suzuki Vitara JX
By Mary

2001 Suzuki Vitara JX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like my vitara very much and feel very safe driving it. It handles excellent in the snow and I have never had a problem with it when windy out.Its been very reliable and I have had it since it was new and I still love it. I would say to anyone looking to buy one that you really cant go wrong with this Vitara 2001. I have had mine 8 years now and its still going strong.I can understand why you don't see too many people selling them. Once you have one its hard to part with it.

Favorite Features

Back door, back seats that can be removed and leaves you with great added space.

Suggested Improvements

I dont like the cover in the back storage area I would have preferred something hard.

No long-term reliability
By SATX

2001 Suzuki Vitara JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Suzuki was great for the first few years, but once my extended warranty ran out, it started falling apart between 80k~91k. First went the auto-entry device, then the A/C, then some electrical problems started flaring up where my headlights and interior lights pulse at night, then an automated window went out, then the interior dome light shorted, and the final two kickers--it was not starting up, then finally it started dying on the road randomly and shaking and needing a time-out before I can restart it. The worst part is, either we have terrible mechanics in Texas or this is a hard car to work on, because no one can figure it out! A car should not be rendered worthless at 91k!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, quality