Used 2000 Suzuki Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Suzuki Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vitara model:

Tough little car
By Spud

2000 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLS 4dr SUV

I bought this car used, and rolled it over 100,000 miles. Currently, it's 115,500 miles, and it's still going strong. I've had to replace the computer system, but that's the only major maintenance it's needed. I don't service it as often as I should, but it's a very forgiving vehicle.

It's very easy to shift, (I have a manual transmission), and it will let you drive from a complete stop in 2nd gear. It doesn't like it, but it doesn't die.

The back seat can use some more leg room. The storage capacity is very small for an SUV. The acceleration is aweful! You can't make any quick spurts in this vehicle, so you have to be very careful merging into traffic.

Run around, over and through
By JM Hufstedler

2000 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Suzuki with 850 miles on it and after 4 years and 60,000 miles it has never disappointed me once. Not in snow, heat, short jaunts or long highway trips. The back seat is cramped, but there's tons of headroom and at 6'1" I always have plenty of leg room in either of the front seats. I've had no body or engine complaints, and the interior material is incredibly durable and cleans up nicely.

The shift and the fly 4 wheel drive has sllowed me to determine just when and where I need all that traction and its size allows me to park literally anywhere. The steering and the brakes work well and the seats are very comfortable for most folks as you sit very upright. The ride is not choppy.

In later years Suzuki got wiser with the location of cup holders, these are terrible. The swing open back gate really isn't handy, and the gas mileage for such a small vehicle is actually fairly dismal. I wish I could override the automatic headlights and actually turn them off from time to time.

how you treat it is what you get back
By tnrebel351

2000 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

bought for my wife in jan 01.we live in a very remote part of middle tn,at 37k took to dealer for a bad rear main seal replaced at no charge,had tranny rebuilt at 60k 5 speed man,seems like built with cheap bearing material.at 120k still going strong,good little truck.service myself at 5k with mobile 1 syn, other t5han drivers power window inop no prob.bought for the suzuki moter reilabilty,powertrain layout and affordability and more than eager in rough terrain.good little truck,just dont go on any long trips,you will get very unconftable in a short time

drive train.suzuki's great desighn and build engine,with a real timing chain,very reliable,off road capability.great manuvering. cchheeaapp.on the wallet.auto lights

dash is bland and controls cheap looking.power windows redesighn.parts availability,less engine noise at speed

2000 vitara convertible
By Mindy

2000 Suzuki Vitara SUV JLX 2dr SUV 4WD

has been in shop eight times for oil leak/ manual transmission sticks in first gear, and grinds into reverse. interior scratches easy. no good for anybody over six ft tall!!

good on gas, sporty design, soft/convertible top.

larger interior design, less mechanical problems!!! (oil leaks/ tranny problems)