Used 1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Suzuki Vitara - Consumer Reviews

1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV

View reviews for a specific Vitara model:

Still love my Vitara
By nb

1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted a Honda or Nissan, but the extra $2k or more for those or for the Grand Vitara were budget busters for me. I love the purple color I got (electric cat's eye blue) and the cute and fun look; I don't drive a lot (just to work; I'm efficient and green) but I got this for off-road and it is excellent for that. I've not been off-road as much as I wanted, but that's my personal life, not the car. I think this is an excellent value, and should be considered.

Favorite Features

Color, height, off-road ruggedness, steering wheel adjustments.

Suggested Improvements

Back support, seat height variability.

Topless in Tri-Cities Washington
By Topless in Tri-City

1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is a rather tinny little car but it's sharp looking particularly once you get rid of the boring wheels it comes with. This is our "summer" car, and it's got that season written all over it. Absolutely fun to ride in! Ours has the small motor - not powerfull - but adequote with the stick tranny. I like working on my own vehicles; everything is accessible and in plain view! Be carefull on the highway - I suspect this thing could roll if turned very sharply. Good brakes, smooth runner. We doubt we'll ever get rid of it! We've had it for three years. If you buy a newer one still under warranty, be warned, Suzuki does not honor expired warranties, even if they are just one mile over!

Favorite Features

Style, ease of maintenance and accessibility. Really fun to cruise around town in.

Suggested Improvements

Body could be stouter. Stick transmission could shift smoother.

Great little Car!!
By Chels

1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this car about 2 months ago. I got a great price for it and it only had 49000 k. The gas mileage is amazing! (coming from an 89 oldsmobile). It is so much fun to drive! The manual transmission is just fun alone but zipping around in this car makes it better! I love to just open the sunroof and unzip the back window. Sits like a truck but drives sporty.

Favorite Features

The sunroof. It's much more than a sunroof b/c it's so big but it's easy to open/close. I also love how the seats fold down. I can fit so much in there. I took it camping last weekend and it was a blast!! I've also taken it out on the beach and WOW she's a monster!

Suggested Improvements

The windows shake when they're not all the way shut/open. Hasn't caused any problems but still worries me a bit. When I downshift into 3rd gear, it grinds. The guy I bought it from said it has always done this and has never caused him a problem...he's had it checked out numerous times as well.

It's five, and still going strong!
By TheMunt

1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

Great little truck for the price! I've had mine for five years, and it runs great. Just follow the maintenance in the owner's manual. I have the model with the manual 5-speed transmission, and the 2.0 motor. Have carried everything from bowling balls to kayaks and my spouse, 6'4. Only negative is some of the plastic pieces in the interior broke, but not a biggie. Good for long road trips. Convertible top easy to use.

Favorite Features

1. seats-well designed 2. Manual 5- speed and 4WD-fantastic,smooth shift 3.suspension 4. reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better interior hardware such as the grab handles and plastic door latches.

Love it!
By spotgofast

1999 Suzuki Vitara SUV JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car used with 82,000 on it. So far I've had it a week, and am in love with it. I haven't tried to take the top off yet, looks a little complicated, but only time will tell. I like how it handles and the fuel efficiency. I was suprised at how roomy this little car is. My biggest friend fits (6'5") and people have more room in the back than in a jeep, not to mention it handles better. I'm very happy with my purchse and would recomend this mini suv to anyone. I have a samurai and really had fun with it...but needed something that could go freeway speeds. It's a little mountain goat in 4wd!

Favorite Features

4wd, the mileage, daytime running lights.

Suggested Improvements

anti-lock brakes.