42,655 of 42,685 people found this review helpful
Suzuki SX4 is a junk car
By will_c on
2011 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Technology Pkg (2.0L 4cyl CVT)
This is a disposable car, spend a little extra for a better car! Dont make my mistake. with less then 100,000 miles I went through 4 sets of brakes, inner tie-rod, water pump, rear wheel assembly, 2 Catalytic Converter, O2 sensor. Ive never gotten better then 25 mpg.
Favorite Features
Price at first. Good in snow. Thats it!
Suggested Improvements
improve quality!!!! requires a lot of maintenance!!!
Recommend (42,655) (30)
By johngalt8
on 07/24/11 19:00 PM (PDT)

Wait, so you've gone through all that, in a little less than 100,000 miles, in less than a year? That doesn't make sense. My own sx4 has had an issue or two, but geez, what a troll.

By ffejdnalloh1
on 04/28/11 16:33 PM (PDT)

Hi Will, This is Jeff from Suzuki here in the US. I read your SX4 review above and was sorry to hear about your trouble. The story above sounds extremely troublesome and completely out of character for that vehicle, but if you might be able to contact me directly, perhaps I could assist with some of the issues you detail above. If nothing else, so that we might at least note it in our service history and share it with our engineering team. Please either send me an e-mail to jeff.holland@suz.com or call me at 714.996.7040 and I'll do my best to help.

By joeyrab
on 05/30/11 18:38 PM (PDT)

So it sounds like at 99,000 miles you haven't learned how to keep your feet of the break while driving. An o2 sensor can happen any time, and while you are "4 wheeling" with your buddies, you snapped a tie-rod. A good "bang" and a tie rod can need replacing....How's the A/C, head gasket, seals around transaxle? All good? Suzuki make an excellent product, (when it's all Suzuki)...but I guess stuff can happen.

By macsavers
on 09/24/11 14:10 PM (PDT)

Okay, I'm going to have to agree with this post. My wife bought a 2007 SX4 in April of 2007 brand new from the dealership. Now, granted, she puts a lot of miles on it, but there's no way this vehicle was designed to stand up long term. To begin with, we had to have the entire AC system replaced before 30,000 miles. We're talking condenser, compressor, etc. They explained that this was about a $2,500 repair, but it was under warranty, so we only paid by not having our car for almost two (2) weeks. Shortly after we got our vehicle back, the blower fan motor for the AC started going out. We could tap it on the bottom and get it to work again, but Suzuki refused to replace the unit under warranty. After some searching on the internet, we found this to be a VERY common problem with Suzuki in general, not just the SX4. We found a replacement unit and installed it ourselves, saving about $150. When we neared the 90,000 mark, we started to hear a knock in the engine. We couldn't figure it out for the life of us. We always had the oil changed regularly and had regular maintenance, but the mechanic couldn't make out what was wrong and told us to ignore it. Well, a few thousand miles later, we couldn't ignore it any longer... it threw a rod. We had it towed back to Suzuki and the mechanic said "Huh, so that's was was rattling." He told us the engine would have to be completely rebuilt. We claimed the warranty and we then went on a cycle of having to produce years of documentation that we took care of the vehicle. Since the original Suzuki dealer that we bought the car had gone out of business, we had to produce bank receipts. After a month, they finally admitted that it was a mechanical failure, something I pointed out that 15% of all Suzuki engines of this make have this exact same problem irregardless of model. Then the wait. It took over three (3) months to get the engine rebuilt. Instead of sending a whole engine, they sent it piece meal and it required the Suzuki dealer to have to build it at the dealership. Finally, we get it back, only to find that it has a significant loss of pep. We discussed this with the dealer and he said our catalytic converter needed to be replaced for the princely sum of $1,200. It didn't have this problem before the rod was thrown, but Suzuki flatly refused to replace the converter. So, we had the converter replaced... only to have the Oxygen Sensor have to be replaced as well, to the tune of another $400+. While that was going on, our dash was showing a problem with the driver's airbag. They checked it and now we have to replace a $1,200 seat for a tiny sensor that has gone bad. Can't replace just the sensor, it has to be the entire seat. In addition to all these repairs, we've had to replace the front and back rotors on the car at a very steep price compared to other models out there. For a car designed for those with modest incomes, the repairs on this vehicle are expensive to the extreme. We've taken immaculate care of the vehicle, as evidence by Suzuki themselves as they tried every way to keep from fixing the engine. My wife loves the car, but her enthusiasm has been stolen by a vehicle that could almost be classified a lemon. The repair costs are closing in on the initial cost of the vehicle, not to mention the amount of income lost from downtime and the inconvenience of the time consuming repairs. Initially this was a very good car. MPG was a tad low, but it was fun to drive and seemed solid. As the years moved on, despite routine maintenance and solid care of the vehicle, it has only repaid those good feelings with frustration, loss and extreme buyer's remorse.

By bill_354
on 10/10/11 17:14 PM (PDT)

Rebuttal to Suzuki is a Junk Car: 89 Sidekick, owned 11 years, no problems in 108K miles 99 Grand Vitara owned 4 years, no problems in 89K miles 03 Aerio owned 4 years, no problems, 70K miles 07 SX4 owned 4 years, no problems, 50K miles 12 SX4, owned 1 day, no problems and don't expect any, but if I do have one, it won't stop me from buying another!!!!!!!!

By macsavers
on 09/24/11 14:23 PM (PDT)

On an additional note: The replacement of the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensor DID NOT fix the pep problem. It only marginally fixed an increasing poor MPG issue (it was down to 10mpg, now up to 15mpg).

By presently
on 11/26/14 21:25 PM (PST)

I bought my 2007 SX4 new, so it's a one-driver car. I've got 142k miles on it now. I've had to replace all the normal wear stuff like tires (the factory ones didn't last well; the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires I have now are awesome and quiet), battery and brakes. I've worn out the brakes a few times, even though I'm not hard on them. Even the replacements didn't last long, but I got lifetime warranty ones and they were replaced for free at Meineke. I finally had a real part failure with the catalytic converter. Suzuki wanted about $1500 to replace it but I got it done for $600 at Meineke. I've owned every make of American car and they all gave me trouble around 70k miles, so I'm not going to complain about a $600 repair after 130k. Gas mileage is poor at 25 avg, but that's as good as anyone including Honda and Toyota were getting with 2007 AWD models. I've been looking at new car specs just in case I decided improved mileage would be worth trading in for. There are very few cars with this kind of cargo capacity, and they pretty much go for around $24k. (I paid around $16k 7-1/2 years ago.) I feel like I've gotten every bit of my money's worth in this car, which has never broken down on me. The saddest thing about it is that Suzuki pulled out of the U.S. and the blue book value plummeted as a result. I could really get reamed if someone totaled my car in an accident.