Used 2011 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific SX4 model:

Great car! Wish I still had it
By mplser

2011 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Technology Pkg (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is an AMAZING car! If you live somewhere with lots of snow and ice, the awd lock is your best friend! feels like there isn't even any snow under your car when driving! It looks great, and My big tall 6'5" self fit in it with plenty of room to spare. Has more space for the driver than my Camry, which was my previous car. I can also, unfortunately, attest to the unbelievable safety of this car. I got in a head-on crash at about 50 mph with a large Infiniti. all the doors still opened after the crash, and the only injury i sustained was a small burn on my arm from the airbag opening and rubbing against it. I already miss my little SX4 :( I might even buy another one with my insurance check

Favorite Features

awd, headroom, styling, everything!

Suggested Improvements

my only complaint is that it could use a little more power maybe. you really have to push the car when merging onto the highway, but I never had a problem getting up to speed in time to merge.

Suzuki does not stand behind their warranty
By serine459

I bought a 2011 Suzuki Sx4 new in 2012 I kept noticing a sweet chemical smell whenever the air conditioner or defrost was being used. I contacted my Suzuki dealer and they said they had dealt with this problem with other Suzuki's and thought it was related to the vapor coming back into the vent so they ran the hose to a different area and said it should be fixed. The next time I drove the car and used the air conditioner the antifreeze smell was there again. I contacted Suzuki and they said that they had done all they could and sent me to Arbitration. Suzuki told Arbitration that the car was working as designed and they said there was nothing more that they would do for me .

Fun all-weather crossover commuter
By morin2

2011 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My sx-4 crossover has the 6-speed MT, the first 6 speed I have had - and I really enjoy having that extra gearing for high speed interstates. My normal commute is 55 miles each way and its mostly in 5th gear. The fuel economy is much better than claimed. I usually get 31-32 mpg commuting using E10 fuel but a little better now with the AC off. I got a high of 35.7 on an interstate trip with ethanol-free fuel. I have the base model with nothing that I don't want. The base model lacks cruise control and I am fine with that. I prefer to have features that I'll actually use. I didn't realize until I drove it home just how great the visibility is on this car - great for merging to the right!

Favorite Features

The AWD switch allows driving in fwd, awd, or locking diff up to about 40mph. I've had lots of subarus and the problem with permanent AWD is that every tire must be exactly the same circumference - so flats get expensive because you should replace all 4. The Suzuki would allow you to drive in FWD and just balance out tire sizes F&R. The side mirrors may be the best I have seen on any small car at any price - perfect shape and size for great visibility. I find the seats and driving position to be great. My lower back killed me after driving my 55 mile commute in my 02 Chev Prizm (a Corolla) - and this is a huge improvement. The car is a bargain!

Suggested Improvements

The manual tranny is a bit like shifting through a bag of baseballs. Its not very precise or sporting. Sometimes it feels like the synchros are not right. A nice B&M racing shifter would be great if the transmission was crisp.

Love it!
By ncvike

2011 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Crossover Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Overall, the Suzuki SX4 Crossover has to be one of the most underrated cars on the market and a terrific value. This car was a few thousand dollars less than a comparably priced Subaru Impreza or Toyota Matrix. The looks inside and out won't blow you away but are more than adequate. This car handles well, is fun to drive, and has a smooth quiet ride.I am currently averaging about 26.5 MPG combined city and highway. One of the biggest complaints that I consistently read about from other owners was the quality of the radio. Initially, I agreed but later found that the radio bass and treble controls were set to zero. Once that was corrected the sound quality was much improved. I love my Suzuki!

Favorite Features

Can be driven in AWD or two wheel drive. Decent gas mileage. Lots of front leg room and spacious overhead. Heated seats. In dash GPS system. Outside temperature gauge. MPG and fuel range indicator. Will likely buy when lease expires.

Suggested Improvements

Like most owners, I find the engine to be somewhat whiny and loud when accelerating at a brisk pace but that really isn't a big deal to me. At highway most speeds the car and engine is extremely quiet. Car lacks acceleration when going from a complete stop. Could use a little more zip.

9th Suzuki product and going strong!
By timber20

I have owned other vehicles and dollar for dollar Suzuki rocks the things that are important to me, reliability, safety and great gas mileage. We have a SX4 Crossover and an Xl7 currently and total cost of ownership per year, including insurance and maintenence is less than 1200.00 for both of them. They have the highest safety ratings in their class and I never have to do anything but wiper blades, tires and brake pads, ever. I recommend Suzuki for Colorado driver's who investigate and find the best car for their money