Used 2009 Suzuki SX4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Suzuki Sx4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SX4 model:

Great value
By Tony

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

A lot of stuff for a little money: AWD, navigation, Bluetooth, steering wheel-mounted controls. Perfect winter/second car.

Favorite Features

Navigation

Suggested Improvements

MPG, audio auxiliary input.

GREAT Little Car!
By peackno

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Technology Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Suzuki and I couldn't be more pleased. For all of the standard equipment included, the value of this car can't be beat. I looked at and drove a lot of other small cars, but the SX4 came out on top. The 5 speed and good pickup makes it a very fun car to drive. Shifting is smooth as I buzz around town and parallel parking is a snap. I also do highway driving and it has sufficient power to hold its own. I was especially glad to have the on-demand 4WD during a VERY SNOWY winter. On several occasions, I zipped up snow-covered hills past other vehicles. NICE! Slip control is great! I'm getting 27-28 MPG on combined driving. I have gotten 30 MPG on highway.

Favorite Features

Good power and pick up for a small car, shifts smoothly, love having the choice of FWD, auto-drive or 4WD; slip control; great cargo room especially with fold over seats; very fun to drive (5-speed), tight turning and accurate handling; great Suzuki dealer options

Suggested Improvements

Blind spot in corners of front windshield takes some getting used to; small gas tank; would benefit from a 6th gear; definitely need to add a sunroof option; could use a few more interior storage areas

Great features!
By Charly

2009 Suzuki SX4 Sport 4dr Sedan w/Technology Pkg, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle excels in the fun to drive department, at least with manual transmission. I like the exterior design. The fact that there are not too many sx4 in the streets, makes this car more attractive.

Favorite Features

The bluetooth is excellent. The radio or CD will pause as you use the phone. The integrated GPS, even when it looks cheap, is extraordinarily useful.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. 6th gear for the manual transmission (I believe that the 2010 already have it) and a button to open the trunk.

The fun 4 wheel drive
By Bernard

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking to replace my Geo Tracker and wanted to have a 4 wheel on command with manual and excellent fuel economy. The SX4 stuck out as the smallest most fuel efficient in this class. The purchase price was another major component. I have the car now driven through one of toughest winters the Midwest had in a long time. The car performed without a glitch and I am very happy with y choice.

Favorite Features

On command 4 wheel drive without any need to stop. Slip control is great for almost all situations. I was forced to go into full 4 wheel only occasionally. Breaks great, keeps track great and has enough comfort for medium range driving (about 240 miles every week). Has enough pep for fun driving.

Suggested Improvements

Tank is just too small, 14 gallons would be great. Six gears would improve fuel economy even further but might be difficult for the uninitiated.

Amazing Value
By Jay

2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Touring Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first Suzuki vehicle. I owned a '02 Passat before, and wanted a more reliable & newer vehicle. However I didn't want to give up too many features. After test driving the SX4, I instantly became a fan. I love the small size of the car. Very easy to park and fun to drive. The AWD is outstanding in the snow. Love that it can be turned off to save fuel. Exterior design is unique & looks very European. The cloth seats are much more comfortable than the leather in my Passat. Road & engine noise are somewhat intrusive. Interior is comprised of hard plastics, however they have a high quality texture. The SX4's engine is sufficient for a 4-cyl. I'm obtaining around 25 mpg overall

Favorite Features

Unexpected extras like: Heated front seats, heated side mirrors, automatic climate control, keyless starting, navigation, bluetooth, ESP (electronic stability program), 9 speaker audio system w/ subwoofer, i-AWD system. Fuel economy, turning radius, compact exterior but surprisingly roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Disable daytime running lights!! Transmission could use a 5th gear. However, the auto transmission was changed to a CVT for the 2010 model year. Engine could be slightly quieter. My car has developed a speaker rattle & glove box rattle with only 12,000 miles on it.