Used 2009 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific SX4 model:

A Lackluster Car
By ravfjr

2009 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Crossover 4dr Hatchback w/Technology Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I used to own a 1998 Suzuki Swift, and this car was bullet-proof. It gave me 300K miles of pure reliability. Not so with my SX4... This car is sub-standard in quality and in performance. And to top it off, Suzuki has vacated the U.S., so good luck getting service. My closest service provider is over 2 hours away...

Favorite Features

The all-wheel drive (AWD), which can cut through snow like no other car I've ever driven. I've been known to drive by 4X4 pickup trucks stranded in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank and don't lie about the MPG (I actually get 21 MPG on the highway)! A bigger and more reliable engine and better automatic transmission gearing... Brakes and shocks that don't disintegrate before 15K miles.

48000 miles now
By smithjon

2009 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Technology Pkg, Nav (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had to do regular maintenance items no unexpected surprises. The tires have been replaced and regular oil changes at 7000 miles. AT service at around 36000. 25.2 MPG over the 48000 miles.

Favorite Features

GPS MP3 capabilities and the keyless entry/start

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be great I understand they went to a CVT in 2010 and mileage has improved slightly, but shouldn't a car this size be capable of 30mpg average.

No Complaints So Far...
By spudcav

Purchased the car used in November 2011 with 21,400 miles. Six thousand miles later I have had zero problems. I have only changed fluids and rotated tires. Traded a 4-cyl Ford Ranger for the SX4. Gas mileage for both vehicles is the same: 27 city/30 highway. However the SX4 has AWD, a primary reason for the purchase. It supposedly carries the lowest MSRP of any AWD vehicle sold in the U.S. Although after owning the SX4 six months, nothing on it appears cheap. The glowing consumer reviews on Edmunds sealed the deal (thanks Edmundsí readers). It is a tall vehicle which probably explains the high wind noise which becomes annoying at speeds greater than 80mph. Also the engine needs a

Favorite Features

Engine torque. The seating position. I have a bad back that starts hurting after driving or riding for less than an hour in the typical compact car. Not an issue in the SX4. Solid body panel fit. No tinny sound when closing the doors on this vehicle. The solid sound when closing the doors speaks to the high quality of the carís body panel construction and assembly

Suggested Improvements

Add a sixth gear to the manual transmission. It would lower cruising rpm and improve gas mileage. Steering wheel controls while convenient, would be easier to use at night if lighted. Vague clutch engagement when shifting from second to third gear.

Suzuki SX4 2009 Review
By tarias

I'm very happy with this car. I have a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids under 13 years of age). We have a SUV too but we use this vehicle for most of our daily driving,trips and errands. I especially like the amount of torque the car has when carrying 5 people. You barely notice any power loss with 5 passengers and I'm not scared to get on the highway with it. We traded in a Honda CRV because of that problem. I have 45k+ miles on it and it's been very reliable. Aside from routine maintenance like oil changes, wiper blades and air filter, I've done nothing. Brakes will need to be changed at 50k miles. Tires need changing now at 45k. My view of Suzuki has positively changed with this vehicle

Favorite Features

I have a bad back and the high stance of the car and driver seat feels great on my back. The interior is nice enough. While the interior is not "high end", it never felt or looked cheap. People compliment the interior. Handles very nice for a car with such a high stance. Definitely fun to drive with manual. It looks small but I'm amazed how much we get in the car. The AWD has been awesome. It's fine in the snow but awesome in the rain which is where the AWD kicks in the most. I bought it new and for the price I paid, I cannot complain.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise on highway is a bit too loud. I wish the fuel economy was a bit better but the car average has been 27 MPG with AWD & 50/50 city/highway. Not too bad. While the Navigation system is fine the bluetooth going thru it got complaints from everyone receiving my calls. Got lots of "hard to hear you" comments. Turns out the plastics surrounding the Nav/microphone vibrate the microphone in the Nav. I fixed it with a rubber piece I made that stopped the vibration. Factory should have better design. 5 cent rubber bumper fixed it. Small gas tank.

Tires and brakes
By sandy93

2009 Suzuki SX4 Hatchback Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and had nothing but problems, The brake pads had to be replaced every three months, Tires only lasted about 9 000 miles and it has been nothing but a money pit. When I called Suzuki they just blew me off. I would not recommend this car to anyone. What a joke.

Favorite Features

saves gas

Suggested Improvements

Repaioring issues with tires and brakes, they wear prematurely