Used 2008 Suzuki SX4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Suzuki SX4

View reviews for a specific SX4 model:

Well built car
By ibali

2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car brand new in January 2009 and owned ever since. The following are the only problems I have had in 6 + years: Year 2: Change radio; CD player sticking (warranty). Year 3: Change power steering pump (made noise) and warranty. Year 6: Change water pump $350 for part and labor. 130,000 miles.

Favorite Features

fuel economy, a/c is great, good in snow, parts are inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

none.

air bags
By morningstar44

2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport Road TRIP Ed 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own a Suzuki sx4 2008 model, I always like my car until I was in a wreck, from the wreck I broke my neck and mess up my back. I was T-bone on the driver side and the side air bags did not come out the front ones did but the one on my steering wheel shattered as it deployed, I was hit from the side so my side ones should of came out, these model cars needs too have a check on them before someone else gets hurt like me the doctors said I will never work again

Three years strong...
By princesskiara

2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport 4dr Sedan w/Touring Pkg (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it used, and I've had my SX4 for just shy of 3 years, and have had no mechanical issues. It will reach 80k miles this month, and the only things I've done are replaced the tires and front brake pads, plus the regular 30k services and oil changes. Love the keyless ignition and entry, love the fuel range module (I get an average of 27mpg, up to 40 on road trips), love how I sit in it and that the windshield doesn't feel like it's too close to my forehead. :) The only issue I have is the suspension--feels like it needs stabilization when I hit bumps on corners. It rides nice, however, and feels very safe in all other conditions. Never had any problems on snow or ice. :)

Favorite Features

Keyless entry and ignition, fuel economy gauge.

Suggested Improvements

It needs tilt steering, the split pillars add a big blind spot, and the suspension needs work.

Went down hill quick...
By raninator84

2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Touring Pkg (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2008 for $17,800, looking for a reliable vehicle with AWD. The car was great to me for the first 60k miles. At around 70k I had a rod knock, it turned out that my motor had slipped two bearings, I took it to the dealer(under warranty) and the job required an entirely new short block! I have owned 5 vehicles and have never thrown a bearing! The car hit 100k I had a broken slave cylinder so out of warranty this was a $1300 job (over 2000 at the dealer!), and at 106k my engine has a rod knock again! I will be trading it in tomorrow for a camry to avoid the $3,000 it would take to fix again. I will never buy a Suzuki again, and if you do, listen for the rod knock!

Favorite Features

Visibility, but other than that I Can't think of any, it's a mediocre car, I didn't buy it to be blown away, I bought it to be reliable and in the end I didn't even get that.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank, better quality speakers, needs a quieter cabin, better gas mileage. Stronger dealership support. Try not designing the car to give up after 100k miles!

This is a great little car.
By sr500mark

2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this for its mileage and 4 wheel drive ability. Fell in love with all of it. After 2 years of ownership I gave it to my son. He puts a lot of miles on it and has to deal with heavy snow. He loves it. Get one before they are all gone. I'd get the manual tranny.

Favorite Features

Built quality is great. Reliability has been Toyota-like. Snow ability is great. Mileage is about as good as it gets for 4WD. It's nimble, stops well but could use a bit more horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

More responsive engine (but I like the mileage so I don't complain too loudly here). Body trim pops off easily up front. Could be a little more secure.