Used 2007 Suzuki SX4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Suzuki SX4

View reviews for a specific SX4 model:

Why you shouldn't buy an SX4
By Greg Myers

2007 Suzuki SX4 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Rally Package (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the SX4 for my wife as a Christmas present in 2006 . The colors was beautiful and it had a manual trans . (Her favorite ). Since then , the engine failed at 30,000 miles , the airbag module($1800)failed , it has thrown numerous check engine lights and and now has a bad catalytic converter . Guess what , if you aren't aware , your emissions warranty runs out at 80,000 miles and there's no getting around it. The trouble code is for a catalytic flow efficiency problem that is more likely an oxygen sensor fault like Nissan has just experienced . The dealer installed cost of the new cat is just over $900.00. Do it yourselfers can get it at the dealer for about $500.00.

Favorite Features

The copper paint is very nice. The AWD is great in the bad weather. Visibility is great.

Suggested Improvements

Poorly geared, needs a 6th gear on the manual or higher 5th gear. The brakes need beefier calipers , it does not brake well. The powertrain is weak and is the weakest link in this vehicle. The seats are very uncomfortable. The stereo is poor.

Super car
By Suzuki SX4

2007 Suzuki SX4 Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owned and drove 2000 Suzuki Baleno 4X4 Wagon in Russia for 7 years w/o one problem so I wanted to try Suzuki again in States. Purchased our 2007 Suzuki SX4 immediately after arriving in States. Best gas mileage is 38 and averages town & country 28.9. Comfortable on long trips and we know long trips. Have had two years and have 52,000 miles. Would buy another Suzuki and do recommend to anyone wanting a four wheel drive car with performance, good gas mileage, and dependability then go Suzuki SX4. We constantly have folks coming over to talk to us about our SX4 wondering what it is and how do we like it. Always give a good report.

Favorite Features

I love the variable 4X4 features: FWD, AWD or Lock-in Four Wheel Drive. Love fuel economy. Love comfort on long trips. Parking is great and easy. Head room is more than any car this size that I have seen or rode in. Great road car plus goes great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Front window column hides some of front windshield view on turns.

2007 sx4
By bill varnell

2007 Suzuki SX4 Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned this car since 2/2007. It is our 1st Japanese vehicle and we like it very much. It is great in the snow and quite comfortable on long trips. We even tow our two jetskis several hundred miles on vacation without a problem. The cons are the fuel mileage and poor quality interior. I would buy this model again but would like to see several improvements.

Alternator trouble
By Pascal

2007 Suzuki SX4 4dr Hatchback AWD w/Convenience Package (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and i bought two SX-4 in december 2006. At first we did like the car but after a couple of month we thought that it was consuming more gas than the seller told us, but we dealt with it by slowing down our speed in order to stay beneath 9 liters/100km. We now have them for a little more than two and a half year and last week at 72K km, my wife's car alternator jammed and it wasn't covered by warranty anymore so we paid to changed the alternator. 10 days later, at 78K km my car's alternator jammed as well! We tought thas was abnormal so we called the dealership and he told us he couldnt do a thing. We then contacted suzuki canada and they told us the same thing. Don't buy that car!

Favorite Features

Awd is fun to drive in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Consumer service, alternator must be recalled on all 2007 SX-4 because it jammed at 70000 km or so

Maintenance costs
By fap

2007 Suzuki SX4 Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I were looking for a small car with reasonable mileage and comfortable seats. Mileage is constant 27mpg with commuter driving 110 milies per day. Ride great for small car and the seats are better than some larger cars. My wife at 5'5" has hard time with view at front left due to bad blind spot. Here's the rub, needed first break job with rotors(no warning) at 42k (not bad). Could not get dealer appt. and had metal on metal so we had our local garage do the job. None of the parts are available after market and the front pads alone cost $200. With rotors the front brakes were more than $400.00. AWD maintenance is also greatly out of line with other makes.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, AWD excellent and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fix blind spot on left front. Make pricing on replacement parts realistic. I can not recommend this car because of high maintenance costs. I have an 06 Suzuki Areo sedan and find the same problems with costs I just paid $172.00 for 1 front caliber.