Used 2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Suzuki Swift - Consumer Reviews

2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Swift model:

To the Swift!
By collegeguy

2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 3A)

Bought this for college @ 60k it's at 110k now over the course of 1.5 years. I love things and hate things about it. Manual everything is my style and cassette player is great for cheap mp3/i pod playing. Has no ponies but once up to speed is fine, however the automatic gets terrible mpg (25 highway ~33-35 town) at higher speeds. Snow tires/cruise control/remote starter/new speakers are all great upgrades. All replacement parts are cheap for these puppies. Be prepared for the "Suzuki Squeal" i.e. the fan belt squeals loudly since the design has no tensioner. I'm currently trying to ghetto rig a fix for this. I'm also having AC problems but just use recharging kits from Wal-Mart to fix

Favorite Features

Uncommon, you will join a brotherhood. Other drivers will recognize and respect you. Since its light weight can get around in Fargo winters with snow tires. Tiny engine always starts in the cold.

Suggested Improvements

Just drive the thing and fix the small problems that come up. Ignore the people that joke about the car.

Great little car
By Dan

2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

These little cars are great. We bought this for an in town beater and have become fond of the little car. I average 40 mpg with an automatic. The car is peppy and tight. It will fit almost anywhere. Mine has 130K miles on it and runs like a new one. No, it's not a cruiser but when you think logically... a $15K hybrid barely gets 30 MPG. You can find these little cars for 1,500 to 2,500. They are excellent and cheap little cars. Don't let the low book value fool you.. you can't buy these cheap. They are good cars and people know it. If you want cheap and fun with little operating costs... this is the car. Very practical and well built.

Favorite Features

Size-MPG-Reliability-fun to drive-not bad on long trips-solid feel-excellent first car.

Suggested Improvements

Make them again. Who needs a hybrid when you can get 40MPG out of a cheap car!

Beat the crap out of this thing
By justapacking

2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used to go to Alaska in .First thing I did was remove all but drivers front seat. I have two 4x4's but have gone most everywhere I wanted to in this thing. I can tell you there have been some realy large bugeyed heavy duty four wheelers. Gas mileage hard to beat (40+ if you keep it under 65 with no air).

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Need to start making them again.

Little Fun Car!
By Mary

2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback GA 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

Its a very economic and reliable little car. In almost six years the only problem I have had with it is the A/C, that it has to be recharged once a year.

Favorite Features

It is economic, reliable, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Give it better A/C.

Peepy, Great mpg, and easy to repair
By Randall M.

2001 Suzuki Swift Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Swift sat on the lot over a year until I found it. I just wanted a commuter car with great mileage yet had alittle style. True, most Swifts are driven by senior citizens because of their ease to drive, mine came with a 5 spd and just air conditioning. I figured, it had everything I needed but nothing that I didn't need. Immediately, I used nothing but synthetic oil and put in Bosch platinum 4 plugs. At just 1895 lbs, my Swift is peppy!. Changing brakes and the air filter is a snap!. I consistently get 37mpg on mostly city traffic!. Yet, understand that the interior is generic and the brakes are soft at best. At 50000 miles the interior light and lower fan speeds failed. Still, I Love it.

Favorite Features

Very cheap to own and very easy to do routine maintence on. The 5 spd is a must!. Its quick, if its just you and maybe a light passenger.

Suggested Improvements

None. But understand what this cars design is for!. Its a reliable commuter car with high mpg. Not cruising the Strip for girls nor to impress the neighbors or co-workers.