2001 Suzuki Swift - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Swift model:
To the Swift!
By collegeguy on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 3A)

Bought this for college @ 60k it's at 110k now over the course of 1.5 years. I love things and hate things about it. Manual everything is my style and cassette player is great for cheap mp3/i pod playing. Has no ponies but once up to speed is fine, however the automatic gets terrible mpg (25 highway ~33-35 town) at higher speeds. Snow tires/cruise control/remote starter/new speakers are all great upgrades. All replacement parts are cheap for these puppies. Be prepared for the "Suzuki Squeal" i.e. the fan belt squeals loudly since the design has no tensioner. I'm currently trying to ghetto rig a fix for this. I'm also having AC problems but just use recharging kits from Wal-Mart to fix

Great little car
By Dan on 04/09/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

These little cars are great. We bought this for an in town beater and have become fond of the little car. I average 40 mpg with an automatic. The car is peppy and tight. It will fit almost anywhere. Mine has 130K miles on it and runs like a new one. No, it's not a cruiser but when you think logically... a $15K hybrid barely gets 30 MPG. You can find these little cars for 1,500 to 2,500. They are excellent and cheap little cars. Don't let the low book value fool you.. you can't buy these cheap. They are good cars and people know it. If you want cheap and fun with little operating costs... this is the car. Very practical and well built.

Beat the crap out of this thing
By justapacking on 05/22/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used to go to Alaska in .First thing I did was remove all but drivers front seat. I have two 4x4's but have gone most everywhere I wanted to in this thing. I can tell you there have been some realy large bugeyed heavy duty four wheelers. Gas mileage hard to beat (40+ if you keep it under 65 with no air).

Little Fun Car!
By Mary on 01/23/07 17:16 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Swift GA 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

Its a very economic and reliable little car. In almost six years the only problem I have had with it is the A/C, that it has to be recharged once a year.

Peepy, Great mpg, and easy to repair
By Randall M. on 07/15/05 07:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Swift sat on the lot over a year until I found it. I just wanted a commuter car with great mileage yet had alittle style. True, most Swifts are driven by senior citizens because of their ease to drive, mine came with a 5 spd and just air conditioning. I figured, it had everything I needed but nothing that I didn't need. Immediately, I used nothing but synthetic oil and put in Bosch platinum 4 plugs. At just 1895 lbs, my Swift is peppy!. Changing brakes and the air filter is a snap!. I consistently get 37mpg on mostly city traffic!. Yet, understand that the interior is generic and the brakes are soft at best. At 50000 miles the interior light and lower fan speeds failed. Still, I Love it.

very happy so far
By mdocod on 06/05/05 03:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

just bought one of these used a few months ago, has a good rigid feeling build quality to it. with auto-tranny gets about 34-37mpg in town..my girl friend uses this mostly for trips to and from work/stores in and out of town a lot... I use it to delivery pizzas when she doesn't need it, being able to drive 200 miles in a day for a few bucks worth of gas is a real moneysaver. being able to buy this "new" of a vehicle for only $2500 and then getting great milage to boot, can't complain. No mechanical problems to mention. can change oil on this car without jacking it up- the clearance is good for a car- wheels are at corners- so never a problem with speed bumps, no bottoming out.

2001 suzuki swift
By Chris on 06/03/05 09:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GA 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had problems with the A/C ever since I bought it, maybe its because the tiny engine cant run an A/C very well, but when the temperature outside gets over 100 degrees it barely works. Other than that the car is flawless. I previously owned a 94 swift and after 155,000 miles I never had a single problem. These cars will run forever.

Reliable and economical transportation
By vr6stud on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new. 17 months of trouble free driving at an average of 42 mpg in the city. Perfect commuter transportation for those who aren't in a hurry to hug the bumper of the SUV in front of them. Comfortable front seats with controls and gauges ergonomically designed. Not having ABS brakes makes for some fun cornering if you're in the mood, but don't expect to accelerate past much of anything on the road with 4 wheels and a motor. 79 horsepower is the price you pay for that great fuel economy.

Great Transportation
By Bob75 on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GL 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Swift but have had two Geo Metros (same car). The mechanicals are bulletproof. The car is very economical, comfortable and easy to drive. I have made 1500 mile trips in two days in these vehicles.

swift
By pforstie on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Swift GA 2dr Hatchback (1.3L 4cyl 5M)

fun to drive to and from work every day