1999 Suzuki Swift - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
Almost 200Kmiles on my 1999 Swift
By amiranda on 02/25/13 07:08 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

I purshase this car used in 2010 with 58K miles. Since that date, i've been running very well, so far. In June of 2012 i had to rebuil the transmision and now (Feb 2013) some white smoke comes out the exaustor for 10 to 15 seconds everytime i turn it on in the morning. Considering that now this car has 178K miles, and i get 30 MPG in the city and up to 36 MPG in highways at 65-70 miles/hr. I am considering to invest a little more money in to it and have the engine rebuilt.

Ahead of its time!
By Larry in CT on 04/18/10 04:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car as a "back up" vehicle in 2004 and was quite surprised by how well it performs! Great gas mileage and fun to drive! I just turned 38k miles on this 12 year old car, and it still drives like new! Also, I was shocked by how well it performs in snow - it drove just like a 4WD vehicle because all the weight is in the front. My only two complaints are 1. Suzuki made these cars with 'power- assisted' steering rather than power steering (so you have to put your shoulder into it), and 2. when you open the driver's window you break the vacuum seal and will feel air coming in through the floor speaker grill. Also, I feel safe letting my teen use this as her 1st car next year.

great buy
By rick jonsin on 06/07/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

got a good deal from a private party only 1400 bucks with 94000 miles. blue smoke at start up probably would not have baught it if i knew. have had no problems starts right up even at 15 below zero. its a base car no power steering or air. best thing about it is 40 mpg on the highway.

Great little car
By Kath on 11/16/08 09:38 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

I owned a '99 Suzuki Swift for 7 years with no problems, except for replacing brake pads. I loved this car. It was completely problem-free for 7 years straight. Best car I've had so far and sorry that Suzuki doesn't make it anymore. It's nothing fancy but a great little car to get you from Point A to Point B.

A brilliant first car
By stew on 08/18/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my little Suzuki for nearly a year now and it has been amazing. A brilliant first car. Interior is a little embarrassing but it can be spiced up. Engine is loud and noisy but could endure a sledge hammer blow and still be loud and noisy. The mileage is great for longish journeys but can struggle on those short journeys ( not sure of the mileage). The gadgets are brilliant.. For £800 quid where else could you get electric windows, cd player, electric wing mirrors and the like? I'd happly challenge a Merc in this car because even thought it can't win it makes me feel like I am ten again and that's what driving should be about.

99 Swift
By chrisdrivesaswift on 08/10/08 16:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

101,000 miles when I got it now has 110,000. Absolutley great on gas. I get 39 mpg beating the crap out of it. Had to put a starter in which took all of ten minutes. Great commuter car. Cant beat the mpg at 4 bucks a gallon

Not bad for the money.
By Jemtec on 04/22/07 03:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 1999. Overall, an excellent car for the pittance I paid for it ($7000.00). Never had one iota of problems while I owned it. Not a very big car, but with the seats folded down can actually gobble up a good size load of groceries. Great driver in the snow, provided you aren't using the Goodyear "invicta" GL tires which were absolute crap in wet weather. At 79hp, the car isn't a barn burner but isn't too bad for you and another person. Great mileage 42 mpg mixed driving. Handling is ok and the ride is very commendable for such a small car. I installed AC in the car which added a nice usable option. No rear window wiper/washer was bothersome in bad weather.

Suzuki Swift
By rob on 06/13/06 10:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

This great car runs well in the snow and has great gas mileage. I would buy another, but they're hard to find.

My 1999 Swift Sucks
By Unhappy Swift Owner on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

I've had nothing but problems with this car. I didn't have it for two years and it ended up in the shop for 5 weeks getting the engine rebuilt because of a factory defect that they tried to blame me for.

Reliable, Dependable transportation
By SwiftDriver on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Suzuki Swift 2dr Hatchback

This car may not be popular in the US but it is good transportation vehicle for everyday driving, it is fuel efficient, reliable, dependable and easy to park and drive.