Almost perfect
By avroarrow on
1991 Suzuki Swift GT 2dr Hatchback
Ahh, my old '91 Swift GT. Easily the most fun car I have ever owned. It was more of a 4-wheel toy than a car. It was quick off of the line, looked great and had awesome mileage for its time. I had the wheels upgraded to 15" alloys with 4 Hercules G3000V P195/50VR-15's. It stuck like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth. I also loved the fact that after 1989, automatic was not available for this car because auto would have ruined the experience. It was like driving a rally car on the highway because it reacted so quick to control input (probably because it had manual steering). The 4-wheel disc brakes made it stop on a dime. My only complaint was that it didn't have A/C standard.
Favorite Features
Weight: 1,870 lbs. Engine: Suzuki G13B 1.3L DOHC 100hp Transmission: 5-speed manual ONLY (love it!) Suspension: 4-wheel independent McPherson Strut with front sway bar Brakes: 4-wheel disc Great-looking taillight setup (1992 ruined that)
Suggested Improvements
A/C, sunroof, power windows and power locks became standard in 1992 so those got covered but a turbo package option using the turbocharger from the Turbo Firefly would have been great. Also, there was a design flaw in the Suzuki G13B engine where the crankshaft keyway was made of a harder metal than the crankshaft itself and scored it. I lost my first engine that way. I got a 50,000km used-from-Japan engine to replace it for $500.