1997 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - The Rattletrap That Won't Die

1997 Suzuki Sidekick - Consumer Review

JX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

The Rattletrap That Won't Die
By goatrancher on

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4dr SUV 4WD

They're gonna have to bury me in this car. I bought it in about 2001 with 60k miles on it for 5k dollars cash. At 90k I changed the timing belt and water pump. Since then I have replaced only a starter, had the brakes done once and just recently replaced the front struts and back shocks. This little beast is NO fun over 55mph. Feels like it's gonna fly into bits. Uphill forget it, unless you're rock crawling. But I can get 3 full sized dairy goats in the back with the seat down and don't have to use my gas hog pickup. It refuses to quit. Most reliable car I've ever owned outside of Hondas. Flawless OD automatic. Swiss watch of a motor. Backbreaker seats. A keeper!

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission and apparent immortality. Gotta love Suzuki's crappy resale value. I pity the poor suckers who buy one new. These are so cheap now they're almost free. Go find one!

Suggested Improvements

None. Anyone who is looking for comfort, style and expensive repairs should look elsewhere. This is basic transportation to ANYWHERE with a full load.