Used 1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Suzuki Sidekick - Consumer Reviews

1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:

The little engine that could but Suzuki version
By firebug2283

1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has been hit in the front and the rear and is still on the road. She has 189,561 miles and she still running like new. We have replaced few minor parts, fuel filter, a fan belt and she still continues to run. She just won't die, she refuses to die. Great gas mileage. 4x4 works excellent and she sure can haul wood. I HAVE thought of replacing her but can't bare to part with her because we know we won't find a better car. She may look like a death trap coming down the road but she sure does run excellent. Never has left us stranded and I doubt she ever will.

The Rattletrap That Won't Die
By goatrancher

1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

They're gonna have to bury me in this car. I bought it in about 2001 with 60k miles on it for 5k dollars cash. At 90k I changed the timing belt and water pump. Since then I have replaced only a starter, had the brakes done once and just recently replaced the front struts and back shocks. This little beast is NO fun over 55mph. Feels like it's gonna fly into bits. Uphill forget it, unless you're rock crawling. But I can get 3 full sized dairy goats in the back with the seat down and don't have to use my gas hog pickup. It refuses to quit. Most reliable car I've ever owned outside of Hondas. Flawless OD automatic. Swiss watch of a motor. Backbreaker seats. A keeper!

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission and apparent immortality. Gotta love Suzuki's crappy resale value. I pity the poor suckers who buy one new. These are so cheap now they're almost free. Go find one!

Suggested Improvements

None. Anyone who is looking for comfort, style and expensive repairs should look elsewhere. This is basic transportation to ANYWHERE with a full load.

Ten Years of Outstanding Service
By Don Montgomery

1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our JLX Sidekick June l4, 1997 for my wife. It was new with zero miles. We shopped all the SUV brands at that time, but only Suzuki's JLX satisfied all our parameters. For example, its rear entry platform is high enough so my wife can easily move boxes of books she uses in her business. Also front seats are very comfortable. Back seats accessible, too. This car has great load carrying capacity -14 large, plastic tubs of books! After 10 and a quarter years and only 65,500 miles it's almost like new! What an amazing machine!

Favorite Features

Look and cut of the car - ours is teal-colored. Comfort of the seats, fore and aft. High up view of the roadway with lots of glass for outstanding visibility. Huge carrying capacity. Excellent manuverability.

My Sidekck
By seretsuperman

1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JS 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I love this truck (that's what I call it)! It is kind of small for me and two kids, but it is great with the roof off in the summer, 4WD in the winter, and fun all year round. I take really good care of mine and now it's starting to get attention. I love it more than any woman that I have ever loved! It pisses them off.

Favorite Features

The convertible top and 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the comfort and power.

Great Mini-ute
By JT

1997 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our truck about a year ago with 40,000 miles on it, it now as over 55,000 and is still running great. The only problems are its size and its power. It's very sluggish up hills, and I can't sit in the front seat with the car seat behind me (I'm 6'0").

Favorite Features

It looks cool and has enough clearance to make it great off-road.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a bigger engine, to be about a foot longer, and to have removable back seats