1997 Suzuki Sidekick - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:
The little engine that could but Suzuki version
By firebug2283 on 03/17/11 21:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has been hit in the front and the rear and is still on the road. She has 189,561 miles and she still running like new. We have replaced few minor parts, fuel filter, a fan belt and she still continues to run. She just won't die, she refuses to die. Great gas mileage. 4x4 works excellent and she sure can haul wood. I HAVE thought of replacing her but can't bare to part with her because we know we won't find a better car. She may look like a death trap coming down the road but she sure does run excellent. Never has left us stranded and I doubt she ever will.

The Rattletrap That Won't Die
By goatrancher on 08/17/09 13:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4dr SUV 4WD

They're gonna have to bury me in this car. I bought it in about 2001 with 60k miles on it for 5k dollars cash. At 90k I changed the timing belt and water pump. Since then I have replaced only a starter, had the brakes done once and just recently replaced the front struts and back shocks. This little beast is NO fun over 55mph. Feels like it's gonna fly into bits. Uphill forget it, unless you're rock crawling. But I can get 3 full sized dairy goats in the back with the seat down and don't have to use my gas hog pickup. It refuses to quit. Most reliable car I've ever owned outside of Hondas. Flawless OD automatic. Swiss watch of a motor. Backbreaker seats. A keeper!

Ten Years of Outstanding Service
By Don Montgomery on 09/24/07 22:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our JLX Sidekick June l4, 1997 for my wife. It was new with zero miles. We shopped all the SUV brands at that time, but only Suzuki's JLX satisfied all our parameters. For example, its rear entry platform is high enough so my wife can easily move boxes of books she uses in her business. Also front seats are very comfortable. Back seats accessible, too. This car has great load carrying capacity -14 large, plastic tubs of books! After 10 and a quarter years and only 65,500 miles it's almost like new! What an amazing machine!

My Sidekck
By seretsuperman on 09/03/06 12:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JS 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I love this truck (that's what I call it)! It is kind of small for me and two kids, but it is great with the roof off in the summer, 4WD in the winter, and fun all year round. I take really good care of mine and now it's starting to get attention. I love it more than any woman that I have ever loved! It pisses them off.

Great Mini-ute
By JT on 07/01/06 19:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our truck about a year ago with 40,000 miles on it, it now as over 55,000 and is still running great. The only problems are its size and its power. It's very sluggish up hills, and I can't sit in the front seat with the car seat behind me (I'm 6'0").

Suzuki
By junette on 08/06/05 13:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JS 4dr SUV

I have had fun driving my Suzuki. It has been great in the snow with it's four wheel drive. I use it for my cleaning business and I now need something a little larger.

great little big car
By rt on 03/08/05 22:40 PM (PST)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has been a great car for 80k miles. Due to a bad heat sensor I did blow out the engine on a trip when I developed a leak in the cooling system. It was less than $1000 to fix and has been running good since. There has been no other large expenes on the car other than recommended maintenance.

sidekicks are great
By suzukidude on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JS 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

I bought my sidekick some time ago now, i use a lot, has 104k miles on it and has behaved like a champ, i havn't had any problems with it, only reg mantainance(oil, fluids,breaks...) Fuel economy is great, love the big windows and the stylish looks. Its not a very fast car, but hey, thats not what your paying for and it wasnt desinged for high performance.

exspensive repairs
By afddad on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4dr SUV 4WD

Good dependable car overall but when repairs are needed parts are expensive. $100. each front struts. $260. for pvc valve and labor. Blew head gasket at 85,ooo miles because thermosat did not register over med temp. 2000.00 to fix

2nd tracker former jeep owner
By david wheeler on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Suzuki Sidekick JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I had a tracker in 1989 when they first came out nad i put 116,000miles on it without a single problem. I recently needed a second car ( first is 98 Rodeo, also a great car but too much fuel)and after long debate chose the tracker. I am having a blast again. I feel like a kid and my wife can always take the rodeo their is never an argument their.I put in a K&N air filter and it seems to have helped the performance quite a bit.