Used 1996 Suzuki Sidekick Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Suzuki Sidekick - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:

Best fit my needs.
By hj

1996 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted a vehicle that was 4wd, got reasonable fuel ecomomy, could tow behind motor home, ample power, reliable, hunt in, drive across the USA w/o being beat to death, had plenty of headroom. This fit the bill. I have replaced the clutch, front wheel bearings, fan cooling clutch, reworked brakes, and replaced ignition coils. At 144000 mi. and 12 yrs. going strong!

Handling

Paint a bit weak.

This car wouldn't die
By Gentle Ben

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JS 4dr SUV

I loved this car. I had the full SUV, hardtop, 4dr version. Out of date looking even in 96. Sadly I did not take very good care of this vehicle but the car hung very tough with the neglect. In the 8 years I owned it I had to replace a battery and adjust the clutch linkage and weld a broken clutch pedal. That's it. ... Good MPG (27 hwy or city), extremely reliable, utilitarian, tough to the bone, fun. But boxy, square edges and narrow frame made it a whipsaw on the highway. Also sheet metal is paper thin and seemingly weak structure may not make this a family type / safe vehicle. Very spartan inside and an odd-looking vehicle outside. But... my favorite car ever.

Reliability. I liked the way the clutch felt and the way it withstood everything I put it through. Cheap to maintain, good gas mileage.

There's a lot to improve as far as the superficial type things. The interior design, radio, total lack of features (although I do prefer man. locks, windows etc.). One major issue is the body. It's too boxy and with a more aerodynamic design (made later with the Tracker) I could have gotten 30mpg

Sidekick Sport
By Jasen44

1996 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JX 4dr SUV 4WD

Its a great vehicle and very reliable. Only problem was 2 wheel bearings at 70,000, when I bought it. The ride is pretty good, but some road noise. Amazing gas milage-24-26 in 4x4. 25-27 in 2 wheel drive!! The sport edition comes with a 1.8L 4 cylinder. That to is somewhat underpowered.

Gas milage. Security system-very advanced for a 1996.

None--its great

I love my Suzuki
By chef

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought this vehicle used with about 30,000 miles and I love it The only items that have really given me trouble was a tie rod end and 1 hub and that was at 100,000 miles other then that I have done nothing except a tune up and brakes on this vehicle.

convetible & the 4wd this vehicle goes through everything!!!

I like most everything. The stock radio & speakers needed replaceing they sounded awful

I love my Suzuki
By Chef

1996 Suzuki Sidekick JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

convetible & the 4wd this vehicle goes through everything!!!