Used 1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:

I Want Nothing More Than My 94!
By Hannah B

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

My family bought our (now my) 94 from family friends in 2014. I've been driving it as my own for almost a full year and a half now. I did replace the stereo (nothing was wrong with the original) so that I could have bluetooth connection, USB plug-in, etc. All the "new-age" features. I will say that I did give it an "OK" on acceleration and shifting because 1) Acceleration depending on the slope of the road varies. 2) MY shifting need a little work due to my own stupidity when learning how to drive a stick-shift. It shifted perfectly before I got a hold of it! Prior to this car I was driving a 2014 Chevy Sonic, and then a 2015 Chevy Cruze (both my mother's that I was able to Taxi myself around in for sports). AND TO BE HONEST, I prefer the '94. I was driving it in a small town- so speed and keeping up wasn't an issue considering my biggest competitions and surroundings were highways. Living in a big city and driving on Freeways concerned me at first, but it does PHENOMENAL. The brakes are even better than the newer cars I've driven. I had an incident in the city with a truck; he rear-ended me going 45 mph. The front of his truck was bent up a little- my car had a little scratch and ran totally smooth without hesitation. I feel safe, comfortable, and absolutely love my Suzuki. My family and friends encourage me to get a new car- but until it becomes un-fixable- I plan on keeping it forever. :)

My Suzuki
By christyj51

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my little car in 2006 - she got 40 MPG and was the best car I've ever had - she had one owner before me and he must have taken good care of her. I writing this review because last week the ins. co. totaled her because we were rear ended by a 18 wheeler. I've tried to find a new/used Sidekick but there are not many left on the road -- after being rear ended the police officer pulled the drivers side quarter panel out, the car started and off we went to continue our journey still getting 40MPG. Unless you're a owner of one of these cars you don't understand the durability, I do, and I wish they still made them -- her engine was still good when towed -- how do you find a great car?

great gas milage, comfortable seats, well built sturdy car - can't say enough about this little SUV other then if I could find one I would buy it --

only one --- a cup holder

questionable longevity
By kdooms94

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive this car every day on a daily basis, and there are multiple flaws with the vehicle. Even having been garaged for 9 out of its 17 year life, and since i have driven it ive noticed several things. The engine is severely underpowered, which results in your city mpg resting somewhere around 16-17mpg, which is horrible for a 4 cyl. All of the electronics or other parts of the car that arent the engine are very unreliable. The automatic transmission is going bad, in the year ive owned it ive had a failed radiator, starter, and fuel pump.

easy to drive, engine doesn't sound as weak as other import cars.

She 16 and runs great
By shes16andgreat

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I just purchased my 1994 Suzuki Sidekick with 81,000 miles on 04/20/09 so far i see this, The car runs great and has not a problem, shes no speed demon on the highway but will cruise along at about 85 no problem, the interior although fully unloaded makes sense, she doesnt have ac, or power windows or locks....in my opinon you may not NEED both but you do need one, im having a remote starter, power windows, and locks installed next week for another 600.00 but in my opinion its all to worth it. The interior lighing stinks, with one dome light in the cabin, and NO OTHER LIGHTS! but the problem was easily solved with the addition of a led bulb for the dome, and some led foot lights for $20

HUGE WINDOWS.....its like driving in a glass bubble, and rear folding seats

Lighting, sound

I've moved up, but I miss my 'Zuki
By Di

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car in '94 with 20,000 miles on it. It was in a head-on accident, two rear-end accidents and, finally, the insurance company "totalled" it after I was recently hit by a crazy person running an intersection. It was plain bad luck with all of them, but even after the last one, the car DROVE, with, as it turned out, the battery wonked out of its bracket and was laying on top of the engine. Most importantly, neither my husband or I were seriously injured. I just bought a '99 Subaru Outback and I like the features, but I wasn't "done" with the Suzuki and already I have to have the Outback's speedometer repaired...not to mention, it's a gas hog (though a 4-cyl. as well) in comparison. My grief is complex!

It makes it easily gets out of sticky situations, gets good gas mileage, is EXTREMELY dependable, fits an amazing amount of stuff, tires and brakes last forever, very comfortable front seats, great visibility, solidly built, still-glossy paint job, nimble and easy to park. I got into very tight spaces with it!

Give it 4WD shift on-the-fly, parts prices in the rare times you need them, a better-engineered emissions control system-according to 3 mechanics, it was hard/impossible to really clean the throttle's throat plate-the catalytic converter was replaced (on warranty) but it passed all inspections!