1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:
questionable longevity
By kdooms94 on 10/04/11 20:38 PM (PDT)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I drive this car every day on a daily basis, and there are multiple flaws with the vehicle. Even having been garaged for 9 out of its 17 year life, and since i have driven it ive noticed several things. The engine is severely underpowered, which results in your city mpg resting somewhere around 16-17mpg, which is horrible for a 4 cyl. All of the electronics or other parts of the car that arent the engine are very unreliable. The automatic transmission is going bad, in the year ive owned it ive had a failed radiator, starter, and fuel pump.

She 16 and runs great
By shes16andgreat on 04/26/09 12:04 PM (PDT)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I just purchased my 1994 Suzuki Sidekick with 81,000 miles on 04/20/09 so far i see this, The car runs great and has not a problem, shes no speed demon on the highway but will cruise along at about 85 no problem, the interior although fully unloaded makes sense, she doesnt have ac, or power windows or locks....in my opinon you may not NEED both but you do need one, im having a remote starter, power windows, and locks installed next week for another 600.00 but in my opinion its all to worth it. The interior lighing stinks, with one dome light in the cabin, and NO OTHER LIGHTS! but the problem was easily solved with the addition of a led bulb for the dome, and some led foot lights for $20

I've moved up, but I miss my 'Zuki
By Di on 06/02/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car in '94 with 20,000 miles on it. It was in a head-on accident, two rear-end accidents and, finally, the insurance company "totalled" it after I was recently hit by a crazy person running an intersection. It was plain bad luck with all of them, but even after the last one, the car DROVE, with, as it turned out, the battery wonked out of its bracket and was laying on top of the engine. Most importantly, neither my husband or I were seriously injured. I just bought a '99 Subaru Outback and I like the features, but I wasn't "done" with the Suzuki and already I have to have the Outback's speedometer repaired...not to mention, it's a gas hog (though a 4-cyl. as well) in comparison. My grief is complex!

My Suzie
By Suzie on 12/17/05 13:00 PM (PST)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I bought my 1994 Suzuki Sidekick new, 126,000 miles ago, and I just changed the original tires, the spare was never touched! This truck was a work horse for 5+ years hauling office equipment spare parts in the back (back seat folded). It will go where other SUVs would bail out (size advantage). I only experienced normal wear and tear, did the 60,000 mile overhaul and nothing ever since! I like it but will have to donate it to a charitable organization. The engine is super reliable. If new Suzuki models use the same basic construction, I recommend them without reservations.

1994 Suzuki Sidekick JLX
By Juliana on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my car since 1995, drove it from Texas - Colorado-Seattle, WA to Pennsylvania... with a U-haul trailer! (make sure you get a transmission cooler installed). Overall, the drive was always good, dependable, and comfortable for me....the driver. Passenger felt not enough leg/body room. Great for flea market scavenger hunts!.I have 125,000 miles on my car, and I got a great deal in the long run. Had my car for almost 8+ years.I now want to consider purchasing an Element from Honda

Suzuki Sidekick Ranks Among the Best
By MereSanct on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

This car surprised me. I was shopping for a low cost 4WD vehicle that I'd use for primarily local driving w/my 2 big dogs...Everything about it has continued to please me from the ease of driving & handling; the comfort and roominess of a small SUV & the dependability. This is a very basic car: standard 5-speed transmission; am/fm/cassette; factory air; manual windows, seats, etc. but ranks among the best.

Suprised Buyer
By Charbal on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this little truck because it was a very good deal. It was my first non-American owned car. I purchased the vehicle for basic transportation, a disposable vehicle for my wife. It wasn't long until I just came to love my Sidekick. I trust it to go anywhere, on or off road. It still looks new and cleans up great. I would not trade or sell my Suzuki, I will keep it as long as it runs.

I love my Sidekick!
By DGfromMpls on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

The Sidekick was one of the first SUV's out there and when I was looking for my first vehicle, it really caught my eye. It had great reviews in Consumer Reports. It's zippy yet heavier- I feel very safe driving it. I've taken it off- roading with both stock and B.F. Goodrich tires and it's handled the trails beautifully. It handles better than many trucks and SUV's out there because of it's awesome ground clearance and it's weight!