1991 Suzuki Sidekick Consumer Review: '91 Sidekick - Basic but Fun

1991 Suzuki Sidekick - Consumer Review

JX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

'91 Sidekick - Basic but Fun
By D. Tracy on

1991 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes, the Suzuki Sidekick is plain, but it will take me anywhere I want to go. On long trips to the mountains or on 4WD only trips in deep sand on Padre Island - this car has never let me down. I've pulled F-350's out of the sand. I bought mine for $2,500 and have put another $5,000 in it. I am now selling it for $1,800. As yuou can see, this truck has poor resale value. It can be fixed up to look good. I added custom wheels, graphics, a custom radio, tinted windows, and oversized tires to make it a real looker. The 1991 model has no overdrive which is a real bummer on gas. I only get 17 city, 24 hwy. The little engine revs high (4,000 rpm) at 70 mph. Mine has had two new engines and it uses oil. It is a great fishing car. Crosswinds at highway speeds are exhilerating though. I would not recommend this truck for a primary vehicle unless you're a good mechanic.

Favorite Features

The 4WD is not automatic, but when locked in it will traverse just about anything. I love compact style. It is easy to park and great for 4 wheeling. The engine is easy to work on if you're mechanically inclined.

Suggested Improvements

Well, you get what you pay for. It's a cheap car and so you have to expect the door handles to fall off - the vent louvers to quit working - the seats are a bit tough on longer trips- but then it really wasn't made for that. The overdrive in the 1992 models and above mades a big difference. Improve it yourself!