2006 Suzuki Reno Consumer Review: What the VW's GTI should be.

2006 Suzuki Reno - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

What the VW's GTI should be.
By EC Transplant on

2006 Suzuki Reno 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a replacement to my 2000 VW. Value for the money, you can't beat this car. No problems whatsoever. I have entered this car in several autocross events and it has shamed cars costing at least twice as much. The styling is distinctive and euro, a nice touch. Interior is simple, the way I like it with just the right amount of convenience such as power windows, mirrors, and locks. Although the car's suspension is soft (see below), the overall balance is great. If Suzuki can bump the car up to about 150 bhp and stiffen up the suspension at least 50% the car would be a hit with hot hatch enthusiasts everywhere.

Favorite Features

Overall value. The light weight of the car makes up for some of its defficiencies.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension is way too soft. Even at 50% stiffer, it would still be fine for non-sporty drivers. Also, the pedal feel is too soft. The shifter is way too rubbery. Tune the engine so it does not hold revs up artificially when the clutch is released. i.e. More engine response. Gearing is too high.