Used 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

LOVE MY SUZUKI GRAND VITARA
By Terry

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Owner for approximately one year. Have owned Honda Accord & Nissa0n Altima and traded a Toyota Rav 4 for this Suzuki Gr-Vitara. The Suzuki is the Best of all of them as it offers more versatility cargo area just a hair shorter than the RAV 4 but full feature with the addition of the NET for shopping pkgs etc. The all leather appointments look & feel better than the other vehicle's. Overall it performs equally to these others, is soundproof and dashboard steering wheel conveniences. I LOVE DRIVING IT!

FAVORITE FEATURES smoothness of lines inside and out comfortable seating. ONLY NEGATIVE is tighter suspension and road feel which took some getting used to. I'm very happy I bought it!

1] Coin Holder near steering wheel. 2] Add controlable under-dash lighting. 3] Add hitch for Bike Carriers or options available for bike carrier.

we got a lemon
By lovebug

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought truck in April 2009. LOVING the truck until the cold weather hit and we started turning on the heat. Late November motor started overheating. They replaced the thermostat. Early December motor overheating again, and no heat in the vehicle. They replaced the thermostat again, but it was still overheating. They opened up the motor and the head was cracked! They've had our vehicle since Dec 14th, waiting for parts from Japan. Asside from the mechanical/electrical problems, my biggest complaint is about their customer service. They've never once contacted us to give us an update. It's always us calling them. We usually get voice-mai

Look, comfort, stability

Customer service!

Great Little SUV
By gr8wit

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 2007 Chevy Colorado for the Suzuki. I have had nothing but pickups for the last 12 years or so and was always happy...until the Colorado, but that is another story. I decided on an SUV for the cargo capacity and wanted something compact, and different. Back in the 90's I had a Geo Metro, and my wife had a Geo Tracker, both were very well made and reliable, so it was a natural to go to the Grand Vitara. I love this SUV, very well made, comfortable, and looks great. The only problem is a 16 gallon gas tank. Averaging 25 MPG, the tank is too small. Also, the radio stinks,too dim. Would I do it again. At this point, yes. You are cheating yourself if you do not look at this SUV.

Leather, moon-roof,looks, fit and finish and hopefully long term reliability.

Better radio. Bigger gas tank.

Initial impressions
By city slicker

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

just bought mine so this quality/reliability rating is irrelevant. All the reviews suggest the only small X overs you can actually take off road are Subarus and the GV and the GV is incrementally better off road. That was my deciding factor, despite reliability concerns. Always owned Hondas which have been bullet proof. My X Sport has true 4X4 w/lower gearing. I wanted the 6 cylinder with its addtl off road capability, but they are sold out in my region. I NEEDED to buy, Suzuki has $3K rebate and Sept sales were awful so dealer was willing to deal so I decided not to wait for 2010s. The GV price was right, the interior is nice & it has some off road chops. we'll see about reliability.

For an extra $1300, the X sport gives you sunroof, fog lamps, and true 4x4 with lower gears. Pretty hard to argue against.

Big Mistake
By Jeff

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car thinking it would be as good and reliable as the Honda we traded in. Big mistake. After 6 trips to the repair shop and many telephone conversations to the customer relations department, the problems remain unfixed. The warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. We had problems from day 1. The dealer finally admitted there were problems but was not capable of fixing them so customer service sent us to another dealer. They are unable to fix them also. We have not been able to travel any distance all summer and we certainly would not carry our precious grand children in this unsafe car. Please learn from our experience and do not buy a Suzuki.

Nice styling, fairly manuverable.

Poor gas mileage, blind spots, very low quality car, seats do not recline enough, poor cargo capacity, high maintenance.