2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:
LOVE MY SUZUKI GRAND VITARA
By Terry on 09/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Owner for approximately one year. Have owned Honda Accord & Nissa0n Altima and traded a Toyota Rav 4 for this Suzuki Gr-Vitara. The Suzuki is the Best of all of them as it offers more versatility cargo area just a hair shorter than the RAV 4 but full feature with the addition of the NET for shopping pkgs etc. The all leather appointments look & feel better than the other vehicle's. Overall it performs equally to these others, is soundproof and dashboard steering wheel conveniences. I LOVE DRIVING IT!

we got a lemon
By lovebug on 01/18/10 17:34 PM (PST)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought truck in April 2009. LOVING the truck until the cold weather hit and we started turning on the heat. Late November motor started overheating. They replaced the thermostat. Early December motor overheating again, and no heat in the vehicle. They replaced the thermostat again, but it was still overheating. They opened up the motor and the head was cracked! They've had our vehicle since Dec 14th, waiting for parts from Japan. Asside from the mechanical/electrical problems, my biggest complaint is about their customer service. They've never once contacted us to give us an update. It's always us calling them. We usually get voice-mai

Great Little SUV
By gr8wit on 10/09/09 19:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in a 2007 Chevy Colorado for the Suzuki. I have had nothing but pickups for the last 12 years or so and was always happy...until the Colorado, but that is another story. I decided on an SUV for the cargo capacity and wanted something compact, and different. Back in the 90's I had a Geo Metro, and my wife had a Geo Tracker, both were very well made and reliable, so it was a natural to go to the Grand Vitara. I love this SUV, very well made, comfortable, and looks great. The only problem is a 16 gallon gas tank. Averaging 25 MPG, the tank is too small. Also, the radio stinks,too dim. Would I do it again. At this point, yes. You are cheating yourself if you do not look at this SUV.

Initial impressions
By city slicker on 10/03/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

just bought mine so this quality/reliability rating is irrelevant. All the reviews suggest the only small X overs you can actually take off road are Subarus and the GV and the GV is incrementally better off road. That was my deciding factor, despite reliability concerns. Always owned Hondas which have been bullet proof. My X Sport has true 4X4 w/lower gearing. I wanted the 6 cylinder with its addtl off road capability, but they are sold out in my region. I NEEDED to buy, Suzuki has $3K rebate and Sept sales were awful so dealer was willing to deal so I decided not to wait for 2010s. The GV price was right, the interior is nice & it has some off road chops. we'll see about reliability.

Big Mistake
By Jeff on 09/24/09 19:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car thinking it would be as good and reliable as the Honda we traded in. Big mistake. After 6 trips to the repair shop and many telephone conversations to the customer relations department, the problems remain unfixed. The warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. We had problems from day 1. The dealer finally admitted there were problems but was not capable of fixing them so customer service sent us to another dealer. They are unable to fix them also. We have not been able to travel any distance all summer and we certainly would not carry our precious grand children in this unsafe car. Please learn from our experience and do not buy a Suzuki.

2'nd suzuki
By resp on 08/02/09 09:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Getting 26.1 MPG in my first 3000 miles of mostly highway driving, pretty good for 4WD. I like the standard doohickeys, keyless entry, sunroof, 6 disk cd. Really good price, no competition from its competitors, especially with the 3000 incentive. Bought the SX4 last year, gave that to my daughter, upsized for more room for me.

Nice mini 4x4
By Ammx on 07/09/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I like this vehiche very much, powerfull and strong made desing

Real off-roader
By Alex Povolotski on 07/07/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Premium 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The car is a real off-roader in its class. Off the pavement, it beats RAV4, HR-V, Santa-Fe, and probably MItsubishi (though I'm not sure about that one). Besides its off-road capabilities, it's nothing else. Nothing! It's not a road warrior despite of interior creature comforts. I love the interior and visibility a lot but darn it is noisy! It is the engine noise I'm talking about. You can't escape it, especially up the hill. It sounds like another second and the motor will explode out of the hood. You definitely have the feeling that the car is underpowered for its weight and the engine struggles a lot to pull all that weight up hill. Other than that, it's a decent car full of defects.

My Second Suzuki
By Soldme on 06/10/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

With only 15K on the vehicle I can't say much about reliability, but they got everything right the first time. I also have a 08 XL7 with 40K and neither has ever been to the shop xcept for routine maintenance. One of the first things I did was check out the 4x4 capabilities and I was surprised how well it did. My only complaint is not enough clearance and no skid plates. I have seen some complaints about gas milage but I am really happy with it. Although some x-overs may do better it does well for a true 4x4. I am doing better than most people will, ave. 23.5 this winter and 24.7 since the alcohol was removed for the summer. I do drive 95% highway miles. Overall I love it.

Previous Suzuki Grand Vitara Owner
By leo56 on 05/21/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara with 120259 miles off the street. Well, I have to say that this vehicle from the start did not let me down. The performance was is fantastic, steering and driving has been an absolute joy especially on overdrive, it takes off like an airplane. I love the Suzuki Grand Vitara so much that I went out and purchased a 2009 model. It has everything I want in a small SUV with plenty to spare. I have not driven my new Grand Vitara yet, but my expectations are greater.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara Suv in VA is:

$148 per month*