2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:
Good buy
By JIM on 04/14/08 20:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We put 20000+ miles and had very little problems. Only mechanical problem was a squeak in the steering colunm, which was fixed. Gas mileage was OK with about 21.5 mpg on hiway. The car rode and handled as good as any we drove in its class. The hood did cast a shadow on low beam. The cruise contol did shift too soon on an incline, even thought the engine had plenty of power. I liked the car, although we have traded for XL7 because needed three rows of seats.

Problems are starting at 19000 miles
By Marshe on 04/08/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Grand Vitara for two years now. The front stereo speakers blew out after 3 months(I am 52 years old so I did not turn the volume up to a ridiculous level) My back tires are now bald in the center only - they have not ever been overinflated and the front ones are also worn considerably all over and need replacement. My air conditioner started making an awful squealing sound over the weekend. Was not going to use it until I could take the vehicle in to dealership. Today my power steering went out. "Belt tensioner" they say which also was affecting the AC belt. I am worried that this is the beginning of an expensive relationship once the 36000 warranty is up. Buyer's remorse.

Suzuki quality lacks
By ricbrk on 03/26/08 20:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

This our third Suzuki, and by far this is nothing like the first two. The quality just is not there. We ended up leasing this Suzuki, with every intention of buying it when the lease was up. We will not, and we have another year on the lease. The radio reception is terrible. The vehicle rattles. Factory tires lasted 11,000 miles, my 48 year old wife is the only driver. The motor is noisy. Suzuki decided to design this 2.7 V-6 back to the 50's. Every 21,500 miles you have to have the valve lash adjusted at $1,200 a pop. Don't have it done and good bye warranty. The seals leak, belt tensioner pully last's 15,000 miles, "plastic", and the original Suzuki quality isn't their. Won't own again.

2006 4WD LUX MODEL
By littlejjam on 02/29/08 22:11 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

After 15k miles w/ this vehicle, I'm coming away quite impressed. The power from the 2.7L V6 is adequate for most situations; I've never felt it didn't have enough power to pass or merge. Could it use another 20hp and 30ft/lb of torque? Sure it could. For what it is, the little V6 does just fine. The trans. sometimes stays in a lower gear longer than wanted (uphill climbs). Releasing the gas pedal and allowing the trans to upshift, and then reapplying throttle very gently, usually works to keep vehicle in highest gear possible. Interior design is awesome, "clean and modern". Materials used are consistant w/ this vehicles price range. If you want Lexus luxury, then you should buy Lexus.

Hate my 2006 Grand Vitara 4x4
By Dawn R on 02/12/08 11:00 AM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

In July 2007 I replaced my 2004 Ford Explorer for a 2006 Grand Vitara which has an auto 4x4 feature. This vehicle handles good on normal roads but when winter came it quickly changed. If I hit a patch of ice it swerves left to right. Had it checked out by the dealer--nothing wrong. Was told I must have driven too fast for conditions. How could that be when everyone was passing me? Handles well in snow and heavy snow but forget the ice or slick spots on freeway. If you stomp on it so the 4x4 kicks in it helps but when you let off it we start slipping again. I don't feel safe in this car. I'll be trading it off soon. I'm going back to Ford.

Great little suv
By Robert on 01/14/08 14:38 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have about 30,000 miles on my 06 GV luxury and have been very happy with it. This is the only compact suv with real 4WD. I drive on the beach all season with this and love the way it handles on and off road. Had one issue with a faulty throttle body bit once replaced acceleration was excellent. Love the appearance, size, interior, stereo. Hope future models improve gas mileage. Great for a small family.

Suzuki 06
By naag22 on 11/04/07 18:55 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

We were happy with our vehicle in the first year of purchase.We have now realized that we need more room and the fuel economy is not what was expected by far!! It does not pick up speed as well either. A good car but not great. We are a family of four now and need something more efficient and roomy.

Good solid vehicle
By MTO on 09/15/07 19:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

My brother bought a 2007 CRV, I like this vehicle much more. It has just as many options and more power. The only problem that I have is with the fuel economy. In Pittsburgh, I am averaging about 16 mpg without lead footing. There is a rear tire wear problem. I am going to get a 4 wheel alignment done as suggested. Overall, great car for the price. It's not worth shelling out the extra money for the Rav4, CRV, or Santa Fe.

Tire/AC woes but overall I'm very happy
By pcs1955 on 09/10/07 17:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Used to have a 2000 Kia Sportage that I adored. I am coming to love my Suzuki almost as much; however, I am not in love with my service technicians! Had to spend $300 on new tires and an alignment. AC keeps gushing water onto my passenger side floor. Been to dealer at least 6-7 times since February with these two problems. Overall, though, I'd buy another Suzuki.

Does The Job Nicely
By llapper on 08/30/07 15:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Approaching two years of onwnership with my Grand V Lux Pak and have been pleasantly surprised so far. Outside of three oil changes, I've had no maintenance issues at all. The vehicle rides nicely on highway, but road bumps are a wee bit jarring. Engine output is just okay for daily commuting but passing is a challenge on CA highways. This car does what it is supposed too and as advertised. Alas, at the two year point I think I hear hear a Buick Enclave calling my name.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.