Used 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Need Better Seats
By MaiPhet

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Not bad for first couple of miles. V-6 with a manual stickshift real peppy to drive. Body style and interior design real modern. Handles well on road. But my biggest disappointment with this vehicle was the front seats. When taking a drive over an hour long my back would start hurting, I even tried buying seat covers with a inflatable lumbar. Back hurt so bad I traded it in.

Body style, interior design (the look). Dealership or Suzuki had a good deal going when i purchased the vehicle.

Better front seats couldn't believe i bought a brand new vehicle with sucky seats. Better quality control on suzuki's part front seat comfort, squeaks and rattles in dash, peppy but noisy v-6 motor

Has held up well
By Rey

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned my GV since October, 2005. It now has 52,000 miles. So far have only replaced front brake pads once, power steering idler pulley (under recall), oil changes, coolant, wiper blades, headlight bulbs (twice) and a new set of tires at 40,000 mi. The vehicle has been trouble free minus the recall above. I have no real complaints with reliability/durability. Wish fuel mileage were better. Has held up quite well.

Heated seats in the winter. Comfortable front seats, roomy rear seats, effective A/C /heater unit. Looks/design.

Improved Fuel Mileage. Ride can be a bit harsh, but it is the trade off for a "real" off road SUV.

Will never buy another Suzuki
By Gretchiebeth

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Grand Vitara 2.7 L V6 MPI for almost a year and have driven it for 4 months. The first time it was at Bill Gatton's shop in Bristol Tn was two weeks after I bought my Grand Vitara. And The last time I took my Grand Vitara to Bill Gatton to have the motor worked on it was a week before Thanksgiving 2009 and it is now June 1 2010 and I am still without my vehicle. I just found out last week I am the third owner of this vehicle.

I bought my Grand Vitara because I love SUVs but i haven't drove it long enough to have any favorite features.

Needs a better motor more information and has multiple recalls as well as repairs. Suzuki company, there service department should be more organized and customer friendly.

What I love and hate
By Anna

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE the radio controls on the steering wheel. The look and feel of the car is great. I HATE that its so hard to change the head lights and they burn out often and are uneven at night. I HATE that when the back windows are rolled down half way, a horrible pressure chamber hits your ears and an awful noise fills the car. I'm told this is because the roof is not heavy enough and if we put a rack on top, that won't happen? Oh, brother! It's Apr 2010 and just had a major electrical problem that cost $800 and wasn't covered by the warranty. The back door stopped shutting all the way, got that fixed. The brake light comes on intermittently now. It's hard to see out the small back window.

In-wheel radio controls.

--fix the windows-down problem --more viewing out back --better headlights that don't burn out so often and are easier to change out --keep the in-wheel radio feature on ALL models --more cup holders, I like that you can fit a water bottle in side of door.

best small SUV w/4wd
By dan_at_utah

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I needed a compact SUV with actual low-range 4wd for some seriously steep mountain trails. The choices are basically: this Grand Vitara, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Patriot (kinda), and Toyota FJ cruiser (or old 98-01 4runner) Of those, this is the best deal, bar none. Quite capable off-road, unless the rocks are large (low ground clearance). Gotten me through tight spots in the San Rafael Swell area. Has been perfectly reliable since I bought it @ 30k miles (now has 47k), except for power steering idler pulley needing replacement (known problem - changed for '07+ years). The ride/handling is perfect for me - firm like a truck but handles more like a car.

low-range off-road gearing. Proximity "Smart key" system - gimmicky at first, but unbelievably wonderful! Freaks people out to see me start it w/o a key! Open doors without fumbling in the pockets for the key fob.

More ground clearance. More torque-ey/efficient engine (like in '09+ models!). Change roof rails to a "bar" type for easier aftermarket racks. GPS nav system like european models now have.