2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:
i loved it
By er1ca2000 on 04/14/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I was actually a little skeptical of buying an SUV but this little thing had changed my mind. It had plenty of room for all our kids' stuff, roomy backseat and windows that roll all the way down in the back. It is fun to drive and handles very well for an SUV. I do wish that it got better gas mileage but that is a factor that i am willing to sacrifice. It looks cute, and i LOVE driving it in the mud puddles around the house. Most of the time it is a muddy mess but after a trip to car wash it reveals perfect paint. NO fading or anything else. I might mention it is black. My opinion... 2 thumbs way up. We will buy another if we are ever able to give this one up. 44000 miles at purchase

Dissappointed overall
By tonyw on 03/07/09 19:23 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have 48,600 miles on this vehicle. Regret buying it to replace a Mits. Montero LX. Really poor mpg, underpowered. Handles well after replace OEM Yokohama tires, which lasted only 20,000mi. Have had to replace the driver's seat cover because of poor fabric quality. Second will not last, either. Very cheap upholstery and even cheaper carpet (have covered with rubber mats). Brakes are spongy (common complaint) low-beam headlights have shadows and point at the pavement (can't be adjusted). Have an intermittent engine miss or transmission slip dealer can't find. Have ping in a u-joint that dealer replaced a faulty rear hub instead. Overall, this is not worth the money and has not held value.

Great after 30 thousand miles!
By Rey on 12/24/08 13:12 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second review. The first was submitted at 1500 miles. I am happy to report that the GV has held up very well, and has been very reliable after 30,000 miles. With the exception of oil changes, and front brakes I have had no problems. Even the tires have held up well. The engine sounds quiter, and feels peppier now. About a year after we purchased it we got heavy down pours, and heavily flooded roads, the GV performed admirably. It performs great snow as well. Based on my experience, I highly recommend it.

Good Car For The Money
By rickb on 11/25/08 13:54 PM (PST)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Like the both interior and exterior style. Overall built well. Handles nicely. Being from the old school, keyless entry and drive is a waste. Too many settings for both windshield wipers and lights. Door locks drive me nuts. Up here in the mountains of NC it could use some extra hp and torque. The performance is much better in FL on flat land. We have taken this car on several trips and I have little complaint other than the mileage. The poor hwy mpg really is an issue for a small engine of this size. Gets close to the same hwy miles as my 95 Explorer 4.0 V6. Good car for the money. Stylish and nice to drive.

So far so good
By so far so good on 10/14/08 17:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is holding up well.The first thing I did was change the tire package. Changed to synthetic oil and gear oil And upgraded the stereo. It has been a good truck my wife likes the comfort the truck offers. The engine is noisy but produces just enough. A bit more would be nice. We like this truck so far. 23500 miles and still going

Love & hate relationship
By CRAIGM on 09/14/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle because I was in the market for an affordable, reliable small SUV that was rear wheel drive. I am a mechanic by trade and this setup is easier to maintain. However at 15,700 miles, the factory Yokohama tires are shot. I don't believe it to be an alignment issue since they are worn only on the inside just cheap tires. My wife insisted on the solid red one and I am very dissapointed that the paint is rapidly deteriorating, the mirrors are already faded to white on top. Also, there are too many cheap plastic trim pieces interior & exterior that easily fall off and im finding out resale value is really bad. This one is 2wd and has plenty of power for the size of the motor.

Great SUV
By James on 08/21/08 09:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to write a review as I kept seeing lower reviews for this model. I have no idea why. I have owed over 15 cars (all new over the years), and this is a nice SUV. In over 60,000 miles, I have not had to take the car in for any type of warranty work at all. Just the normal oil & lubes and maintenance. My front brakes finally had to be replaced at around 42,000. My only complaint is that the MPG is too low for this size SUV with a 6 cylinder. I get a combined of around 18. I feel it should get at least 20. Other than that, the pricing was great and I have absolutely no complaints.

Happy Me
By TammyC on 07/01/08 18:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle the day after turn in and I have loved every minute! I have found no problems with it's get up and go at anytime! Including getting on highways on short ramps and getting through heavy traffic. It's now on it's second journey to Tenn. from very flat Florida and has been a rock for dependablity. Even though it has spent most of its life a couple feet above sea level it does not not hesistate to tackle the Smokey Mtns with a vengance and ease. I do agree that it's a bit shift happy when the cruise controls on or going down hills but I dont have many hills to go down at home and the hills I have encountered (ie: Smokeys), I'll gladly take it downshifting to slow itself!

Great Vehicle for the Money
By Tharpomaximus on 06/13/08 12:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Very reliable and fun to drive. No tire wear problems as others have had. Handles great in snow. Gas mileage as advertised - don't expect anything better. Seems to depreciate quickly, but purchase price was low in comparison to CRX and Rav4.

Best value!
By scott777 on 06/02/08 05:33 AM (PDT)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle for at least $4K less than a comparable CRV or RAV4, those with 4cyl. I was very happy with purchase price and the V6 engine being we were switching from an American SUV with a big V8. Plenty of power, drove it in Blue ridge mountains NC, no problem except a little to eager to downshift. Kids love it, my wife loves it (easy to park). Downside: factory tires stink; worn out after 25K miles. I came from a very large SUV and still cannot get used to the "sensitive" handling of such a short wheelbase. The back door always sounds like it didn't close right.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.