2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Sort Reviews by

Need Better Seats
By MaiPhet

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Not bad for first couple of miles. V-6 with a manual stickshift real peppy to drive. Body style and interior design real modern. Handles well on road. But my biggest disappointment with this vehicle was the front seats. When taking a drive over an hour long my back would start hurting, I even tried buying seat covers with a inflatable lumbar. Back hurt so bad I traded it in.

Favorite Features

Body style, interior design (the look). Dealership or Suzuki had a good deal going when i purchased the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better front seats couldn't believe i bought a brand new vehicle with sucky seats. Better quality control on suzuki's part front seat comfort, squeaks and rattles in dash, peppy but noisy v-6 motor

Has held up well
By Rey

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned my GV since October, 2005. It now has 52,000 miles. So far have only replaced front brake pads once, power steering idler pulley (under recall), oil changes, coolant, wiper blades, headlight bulbs (twice) and a new set of tires at 40,000 mi. The vehicle has been trouble free minus the recall above. I have no real complaints with reliability/durability. Wish fuel mileage were better. Has held up quite well.

Favorite Features

Heated seats in the winter. Comfortable front seats, roomy rear seats, effective A/C /heater unit. Looks/design.

Suggested Improvements

Improved Fuel Mileage. Ride can be a bit harsh, but it is the trade off for a "real" off road SUV.

Will never buy another Suzuki
By Gretchiebeth

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Grand Vitara 2.7 L V6 MPI for almost a year and have driven it for 4 months. The first time it was at Bill Gatton's shop in Bristol Tn was two weeks after I bought my Grand Vitara. And The last time I took my Grand Vitara to Bill Gatton to have the motor worked on it was a week before Thanksgiving 2009 and it is now June 1 2010 and I am still without my vehicle. I just found out last week I am the third owner of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

I bought my Grand Vitara because I love SUVs but i haven't drove it long enough to have any favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better motor more information and has multiple recalls as well as repairs. Suzuki company, there service department should be more organized and customer friendly.

What I love and hate
By Anna

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE the radio controls on the steering wheel. The look and feel of the car is great. I HATE that its so hard to change the head lights and they burn out often and are uneven at night. I HATE that when the back windows are rolled down half way, a horrible pressure chamber hits your ears and an awful noise fills the car. I'm told this is because the roof is not heavy enough and if we put a rack on top, that won't happen? Oh, brother! It's Apr 2010 and just had a major electrical problem that cost $800 and wasn't covered by the warranty. The back door stopped shutting all the way, got that fixed. The brake light comes on intermittently now. It's hard to see out the small back window.

Favorite Features

In-wheel radio controls.

Suggested Improvements

--fix the windows-down problem --more viewing out back --better headlights that don't burn out so often and are easier to change out --keep the in-wheel radio feature on ALL models --more cup holders, I like that you can fit a water bottle in side of door.

best small SUV w/4wd
By dan_at_utah

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I needed a compact SUV with actual low-range 4wd for some seriously steep mountain trails. The choices are basically: this Grand Vitara, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Patriot (kinda), and Toyota FJ cruiser (or old 98-01 4runner) Of those, this is the best deal, bar none. Quite capable off-road, unless the rocks are large (low ground clearance). Gotten me through tight spots in the San Rafael Swell area. Has been perfectly reliable since I bought it @ 30k miles (now has 47k), except for power steering idler pulley needing replacement (known problem - changed for '07+ years). The ride/handling is perfect for me - firm like a truck but handles more like a car.

Favorite Features

low-range off-road gearing. Proximity "Smart key" system - gimmicky at first, but unbelievably wonderful! Freaks people out to see me start it w/o a key! Open doors without fumbling in the pockets for the key fob.

Suggested Improvements

More ground clearance. More torque-ey/efficient engine (like in '09+ models!). Change roof rails to a "bar" type for easier aftermarket racks. GPS nav system like european models now have.

Good Buy so far
By mike

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my suzuki with 18,000 miles already on it. The gas mileage is as stated if you drive 55mph or less, at 70mph it drops to 19/21 mpg. engine power is 'avg' but the transmission seems weak. Interior is holding together well, so is exterior. 4-wheel alignment is a must as it comes from the factory way off. The brakes seem to fade away when slowing from high speeds. Undecided if i would buy another Suzuki or not, but i think a better vehicle would be much more expensive.

Favorite Features

Seat is fairly comfortable. Most controls are within easy reach.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more engine power, and the transmission needs improvement.

If You Want To Spend Lots Of Money!.....
By Billy Boy

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Buy this suv! I have 49,000 miles now on my 06, I can not keep front tires on it,I am on my third set of tires!I know Suzuki knows of this problem!! Ive talked to a lot of people also having the same problems!Also keep extra headlight bulbs with you! about every3-4 months you will be changing them!As like another reviewer said:you mite as well wipe your crack with the paper the warranty is written on! The belt tension control arm is plastic, so around 45,000 miles it went up, costing me almost $400!Cd player does not work now,i guess the dealer would want about the est value of the vehicle to install a new one. Im very disappointed with you Suzuki!

Favorite Features

It is awesome in the snow!

Suggested Improvements

Come on Suzuki! I know you can build a better vehicle than that!

No Problems Here
By Phil

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Great small SUV that's fun to drive. Have had it just a few weeks, but have had no problems with it. The only thing I don't care for is the gas mileage, seems I'm stopping more often than i use to with my Olds Silloutte I traded for it. It however does have smaller tank too. It is very peppy though when it comes to getting out on the highway which I like.

Favorite Features

Stereo 6 CD changer with sub, has a great sound. All at your convienence on the stearing wheel too. The interior height is nice as well as the room inside. The peppy 2.7 V-6.

Suggested Improvements

The tilt wheel is lame and the gas mileage are my only two suggestions that need to be looked at.

Love it, every day I get in it!!
By gruss

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second GV. Sure the mileage could be better, but it's right there on the sticker when you buy it. I generally drive a couple of miles below the speed limit or right at it. So my mileage is great, 30hwy. Great stereo system and the six of my CD's of the moment sound great through the speakers and sub!! Seats are very comfortable, like your favorite chair. It is longer than the previous model, and it was noticed, in backseat room and cargo space. I can't say I needed it and I liked my '99 better in that respect, but I got over it. To you, drive it, love it, buy it, and love it again everyday 'till you are ready for a new one! I know, and will get another when the time comes.

Favorite Features

On the wheel stereo controls and cruise features, stereo/6cd changer/speakers/sub, comfort, performance, handling in snow and rain, and it's all around pretty darn awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Although the extra space is nice for riders. I particularly liked the shorter/smaller version from the previous model. My little SUV isn't so little anymore. But, small price to pay for a great car!

I think it's a good SUV
By drdud

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased in may of 2006 ( V6 ),the first year milage was rough , but now i'm getting 20 plus around town and 25 plus from the N.E. corner of Pa to Phila a 120 mile run . Mostly on the turnpike .Its a pleasure to run the pike with this smooth riding and running SUV. I'm pretty pickey . I have purchased 15 new cars and trucks over the years not counting the used ones . I rate this very Good and its easier for me to get in with my bad back then a subaru which is too low.

Favorite Features

its pretty , heated seats , running lights ,good sound system ,good pep quiet,Love the ability to put it in 4x4 any time I want , etc.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt wheel ,display in dash with temp and milage (can't see in the day time).