Used 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Suzuki Grand-vitara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

The best car ever
By aymanca

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car October 2006 and I never had any problem with it, it runs good and it worth every dollar . It's really surprise me to know that the company has closed down in USA, it's really a lost not to have this brand here. I recommended to everyone and I really enjoy driving it as the first day I had it. I just recently replaced the battery ( after 8 years) and I had no other issues. I love Suzuki and if the company still around it will be my first choice , better than Honda or Toyota .

Favorite Features

The design , it's really nice , well build car

Suggested Improvements

Extra storage size

113K and still fun to drive
By alrod

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Suzuki new in 2006 and have had no issues other than one tire change and a couple of brake jobs. I am sad that Suzuki no longer makes this vehicle because it has served me well and has been nothing short of reliable.

Favorite Features

It is amazing how much stuff this car can carry. lumber, palm trees, furniture, etc. It is surprizing.

Suggested Improvements

Better carpeting. That's about it.

One of the best cars I have ever owned
By woodinhills

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in Denver, in 3/2006. Is turning 100,000 tomorrow, so here's a review: Very fun to drive, "tight" feel, firm but not overly so suspension, decent ground clearance. TRUE 4x4, with Low Range- EXC! I lived @ 8,600' elevation for 7 years, and this little beast will climb thru 3' of powder snow with mud and snow tires. Decent sound system with subwoofer, CLIMATE CONTROL is really terrific! Comfy seats, but the driver's is coming apart a bit.

Favorite Features

Great looking car, to me. Fun to drive, practical- rear seat backs flip down, OR you can fold n flip, like a "jump" seat in a Checker taxi. Hauls a good amount of stuff. Comes from factory with roof rack rails, and factor-add rack is really nice. Low range capability, climate control and sound system are great! Just 3 repairs in 100k- radiator developed A CRACK; Indy shop did this for about $600. Idler pulley and front x-fer case seal done under warranty, and neither stranded the car. I have also towed a 2-axle 6x12 U-haul trailer at the MAX rating of 3,500 lbs, and it towed very nicely! I was amazed at how well it towed a trailer that was nearly as big as the car, and weighed the same!

Suggested Improvements

Better built seats. And ANY mini-mid-size SUV will NOT get good mileage. I average just 17-18 with this V-6 Auto...and I have had another mini-SUV (Escape) with a V-6, same deal. Do not expect good mileage- the EPA ratings are too optimistic, but that seems true for ALL EPA mileage ratings.

not all that great
By cbird511

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara XSport 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

all 4 tires only lasted 1yr, 17'' rims just makes it very expensive to replace tires and spare only had 16''rim, 6 cd player ate my cds and to replace costs hundreds, replaced battery 3X already, replaced both headlights 3X already, replaced broken rear shock that caused the car to fishtail in bad weather, was told it was a 4WD when I bought it but wasn't, seats very uncomfortable and hard, dummy lights continue to come on randomly, brakes always squealed, interior light just fell into pieces, if your auto headlight switch is off, which is hidden behind the steering wheel, you can be driving at night with no tail lights. very dangerous, window cracks too easy. 2nd window cracking. Etc Etc..

Favorite Features

pros..... heated seats, sun roof, cruise control (hardly use these features), easy to see ''clock, temp, and mph'' feature on the dash, if I had long arms, the middle arm rest would be comfortable to use, traction control would be nice if the car wouldn't vibrate ''in use'' like it was falling apart, this vehicle was made only if your comute was within 10 miles per trip.

Suggested Improvements

Bought '06 Grand Vitara off showroom floor brand new. Has lots of cheap upgrades. Everything is falling apart from day 1 and we are adults in our late 40's not teenagers that are rough with cars. the body is a cheap metal that easily dents at a touch, winshield is a joke, suggested tires don't last long, hard seats gives us backaches after 20 miles of driving, every dummy light in the dashboard comes on and off all the time and the dealer has no Idea why, maybe a lemon but I'm stuck with it as it will never sell as is. Replacement parts over priced and both suzuki dealers intown closed there doors. Closest dealer is now about 400 miles away. Next car WILL be an American made.

Nothing But Headaches After the First 3 Years
By jlaura

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5A)

I loved this vehicle for exactly 3 years. I purchased it new in October of 2006. It seems like all the problems began on November 1, 2009. There were multiple recalls (I received notice of the power steering belt recall two weeks after having it replaced); I've replaced the tires twice; the headlights go out all the time; the CD player no longer works. Most recently, I've been having engine troubles. My mechanic tells me that the throttle body has some kind of defect that makes it prone to getting clogged. As a result, my car won't start sometimes. My last Suzuki had a rear main seal leak at 55,000 miles. I should have learned my lesson then... At 78000 with this one; hope to get to 100000

Favorite Features

Affordable SUV, Radio controls on the steering wheel, Windows, locks, and AC have worked very well, Solild sound system

Suggested Improvements

Radio/CD player has issues, occasional random tremors, more space for backseat passengers