Used 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Saved My Wife's Life
By MOdriver

2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

We owned this little car for a year and a half. I took our 2WD through fields, used it to haul hundreds of pounds of landscaping material. Pulled a trailer with it off a tow loop, no trailer hitch. Through all this abuse this car always started up, ran straight, and pushed through everything. Its a tough little truck, tho underpowered for highway speeds. It has strength, but you'll be downshifting up hills and its not too soft about it. 2 weeks ago my wife swerved to miss a raccoon, flew off the road, flipped and rolled 6 times. The air bag deployed and this little car landed upright, my wife is alive along with two dogs. We just bought a new Suzuki to replace this one. Great Car!

Tow hooks, comfortable seats, good ground clearance, smooth ride, console is nicely set up

Not enough power for comfortable highway driving, small middle seat

Great little vehicle
By F. LaRock

2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Grand Vitara LX in Feb 09 and is the first actual 4 wheel drive I've ever owned. I have driven over 15,000 since Feb 09 with absolutely no problems. Car was in excellent condition and I was the 2nd owner and received the remainder of the 7 yr/100K warranty. Vehicle performs excellent here in the winter (U.P.of Michigan) and wouldn't trade it for the world. (Gotta put in a plug for Northway Auto in Rhinelander, WI. Great no-pressure sales and very honest. Had my vehicle in top condition at purchase; even replaced radio with brand new one, replaced all brakes and discs and serpentine belt and produced all docs of proof. Will definitely buy there again and will recommend.

Shift from 2WD to 4WD on the fly and plenty of inside heat/defrost in -20 below zero weather. Mirror defroster are great.

A little stingy on mileage no matter how careful I drive, 20 mpg is tops and for that small of a vehicle and 2.5 V6, you'd think the engineers could gear the transmission/drivetrain for better mileage. Otherwise, I'm content.

EX 4WD Grand Vitara
By Di-Jo

2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Vitara yesterday. I have only driven it home and to work today. So far, I love the way it handles and the convenience of all the controls. I have been looking around a while for a good, clean Grand Vitara and finally found one. It's great and just what I wanted with the 4x4 option.

I really like having 4 wheel drive and a moon roof. I like being able to lay the seats down for hauling in the back.

It does not have an auxilary plug for MP3 players, but this year model was built just before the iPod craze. The newer models have this feature.

My car's performance
By Yvette Perez

2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I like to drive my SUV because is light and confortable. But at the same time it is big enough to fit my groceries and mechandise that I purchase.

The music system, the two connections for my cellular phone and the lighter. The cruise control.

By this time a GPS should be installed in every vehicle.

Got another one
By CJ

2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 1999 Grand Vitara for 3 years and NEVER had a lick of trouble with it (except for the typical air conditioner problem). I then bought a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS, which I hated. I had lots of problems with it. I regretted getting rid of my little Suzuki, so I decided on another Grand Vitara. The level of refinement from 1999 to 2004 is amazing, and I'm happy to be back in a vehicle I have a lot of confidence in. I read what owners say about this truck, I know my experiences with the vehicle, then I read the "experts" tests. Well, the "experts" are nuts IMO. They are worried about defrost button illumination, minor engine noise, etc. You think that this truck gets poor gas mileage? Drive a V6 Rodeo around for awhile.

I'll take the piece of mind knowing its reliability, body-on-frame construction, ability off-road and in snow. I like the part-time 4WD with low range option, manual transmission (I prefer it) and towing ability. It's rated for 1,500 pounds, but from experience it WILL easily tow considerably more.

Give it a bigger engine with better gas mileage. I know, an oxymoron. More leg room in the back, but if it really bothered me I should have bought the XL-7. Seeing the improvements from a '99 to '04 I can't complain. I have a friend with a Toyota RAV4, I'll take my Grand Vitara any day. The Honda CRV is too much car for my tastes.