2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Sort Reviews by

Bad in snow - should be 4 wheel standard
By Tale

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Rwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Nice car internally and externally. Bad in snow and rain.

Favorite Features

Auto heating and cooling, wheel audio control. Nice line and shape .

Suggested Improvements

To have it 4 wheel standard! Better tires I guess too.

The Best New Vehicle I've Ever Owned!
By Scott Tillson

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Geand Vitara new with 61 miles on it. I had to order from a place 45 miles away. I have had a great time in it. My 6 and 3 year olds have had lots of fun with us on the long trips from Norfolk, VA to Anniston, AL. We all were very comfortable the whole trip. If bad weather hit and we had to get out in it i just put it in 4x4 and had at it. I will never regret this purchase even if new cars depreciate quickly the moment that they are driven off the lot. I really love this truck. My family does too!

Favorite Features

It's got to be the 4x4 option! Any bad weather from deep snow to just lots and lots of rain, we never felt uncomfortable nor unsafe!

Suggested Improvements

It could have more add ons like a money machine or a sock dispencer would add something that i could use. "A little humer here"

love My Uki
By Renetta

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Ok, I went out on bought this on my own and I could not be prouder... I love it... It is roomy and comfortable... with all rows of seats up there is not much cargo room, but then who travels with 6 pasengers.... The only fault I have found is that is eats gas like I do MacDonalds french fries... and on the highway it is somewhat noisy, however for the past 7 years I have driven a Honda Acord EX...so the comparisson is probably not fair... It makes me feel young and sporty...didn't really need the 4 wheel drive...but now I have no excuse not to visit the kids in Utah and Idaho in the winter.... I love the 6 CD changer...and the interior is great... Ilove the fact that the rear door swings out.

Favorite Features

Love the exterior, the 6 CD changer, the interior...how roomy it is...how easy it handles even though I had never driven an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Fun to Drive!!!
By Amy

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have only had my Grand Vitara for about 2 months. This is the 1st SUV for me to drive, and I love it, Its roomy and I just enought space for my son, but not to much like it would have been if I had gotten something bigger. The only thing I really do not like about it is the gas milage I have to get gas like 2 to 3 times a week and I do not go out of town.

Favorite Features

My fav feature is the radio buttons on side of steering wheel and the temp control setting. I can put it where i want.

Suggested Improvements

Only improvement I would do was really my fault the gas milage is bad, but I should not have gotten the 4 wh dr, but my husband wanted it.

Value and then some
By Mark

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my Grand Vit since Aug.2003. Bought it new w/only 60 (demo) miles on it. I don't drive much ( that's why the LOW mileage after over 18 months. I live in Syracuse, NY. We get lots of crappy weather including SNOW (measured in feet) during the winter months. One of the 'standard' features for this model is elect/defrost for the power mirrors. It also has electronic climate control for heat/AC and a Clarion sound system w/ subwoofer right under the driver's seat. I think those clipboard toting snobs at JD Power are being way too techy/harsh. This is an EXCELLENT VALUE for anyone wanting an SUV (4WD capable) with quite a few creature comforts- not a LEXUS but u can buy 2 Suzukis

Favorite Features

Versatility. It's a full fledged SUV... but it's smaller than Hyundai or VW model. easier to park in small places. As I said before, many amenities for creature comfort- just not 'headlight wipers' ,etc. Suzuki XL7 is more refined, but costs 2-3K more. Whatever your preference. I think G.Vit is fine

Suggested Improvements

Like others- I think more legroom for rear passengers would be nice. Power/ acceleration is fine. More aggressive tires than the Bridgestones which came on it would help. This unit has a very short wheelbase which makes for a somewhat rough ride on some roads. Again, it's not a luxury car..but 4WD

Suzuki Grand Vitara
By Alan

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I looked at the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4, but I felt that the design and build quality of the Suzuki Grand Vitara were far superior. This vehicle is driven mainly on interstates across the Northeast and it has never let me down. With the V6 engine and a 5-speed transmission, it's a blast to drive. Its fuel economy has been approximately 24 mpg highway, which is outstanding for a V6.

Favorite Features

The climate control heater and radio controls on wheel. Its body on frame construction makes it a true SUV. It doesn't have the flex that most "unibody" platform SUVs have on rough terrain.

Suggested Improvements

None, just keep the quality at current or higher level.

Good bang for the buck
By Ted1161

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Rwd 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I am happy with the Suzuki. Ride is on the hard side even for a SUV. MPG average is 20... acceptable but could use more power... good for around town but NOT good on the highway as it needs constant steering input. Make sure you get the front end alignment checked mine was out over 20 degrees...

Favorite Features

Good for around town. Nice interior. Size is great for parking and back roads.

Suggested Improvements

Inprove highway stability. Driver seat should have ability to raise. (up and down) Add about 20% more HP. Improve ride quality.

Grand Vitara
By t2trider

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is an excellent car for in most categories. The major problem is interior room. Children even have a hard time sitting in the back seat. However, the car is great for around town and has plenty of power to play with. Solid construction.

Favorite Features

Power, economy

Suggested Improvements

Increase the seat spacing front and rear.

Don't Buy it
By GV Owner

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car has had electronic problems since day one. Most recently, the air conditioner went out. After only a year and a half, they said the hoses leading to and from the condensor have coroded. In addition, the lights, speakers, and remote unlock features have been problems.

Best Value
By paul H

2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

If you are going off road or on the beach, this is truly best bang for the buck.