Used 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

Fun car to drive for light offroading!
By Jeff

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years and so far it's been very reliable. The only problem I've had is brakes that shimmy. This car is a bit bumpy but the stiff suspension helps out when offroading.(needs more clearance though) My biggest complaint is the cheap plastic side panels. I've made several repairs on them already and the Nevada sun is causing the paint to peel. If your thinking of buying one go for it as long as you don't mind the side panels falling off ocasionally.

My Suzuki is fun to drive off road. It is very manuverable, fits into tiny spaces, with a great turning radius. It's also easy to see where I'm going. It's one of only a few mini SUV's with 4 wheel low.

Loose the plastic paneling. Leave room to install larger tires.

Satisfied after 6 years
By Mike

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Suzuki new in September 2002. I thought about buying a Jeep Wrangler but the Suzuki was less expensive and had more bells and whistles for the buck. After 96,000 miles it is still tight and runs well. I got 24 mpg on the hiway this summer. Best of all it's paid for!

Sunroof, heated seats, sunroof, cargo space, sunroof, high ride, sunroof

Move the blinkers up. Hard to see for the steering wheel. Has some reasonable road noise and "not-quite-a- car comfort driving.

Not Bad for the Money
By Dwayne

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I guess Suzuki is the "poor man's Toyota". The cheapest of all the Japanese SUVs, but for much less money - is worth it. Very customer-friendly transferrable warranty, and good customer service. Not quite a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Mazda, but I predict Suzuki will catch up to the other Japanese automakers soon.

Transferrable 7 yr./100,000 mi. powertrain warranty, fully loaded with options and still very affordable, moonroof, hard leather-like seats, nice power for a 2.5L/V-6.

More cargo room needed, improve overall gas mileage, cruise control needs improvement.

Good All Around Truck
By Paul

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Grand Vitara is absolutely fantastic. It's a fun vehicle with a real thirst for those everyday jobs too. It is almost the best vehicle that I have ever owned (the best was an Audi TT roadster). Buy one and bag yourself loads of fun and practical driving, too. It uses a lot of fuel though... :0)

It will do anything you ask it to. Also, I love the ability to go off road or play games in the snow.

The back door handle is weak. They often snap, so be careful. It costs about 25 on eBay !

A Great Lil' SUV
By Diana R

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited since 2/2002, and it has been a wonderful vehicle to own. I've had just one recall on it, and I was notified of it promptly. My only regrets were not having side-curtain airbags and a GPS system. The airbag situation seems to have been rectified in the 2006 model.

I love the automatic headlight sensors and daytime running lights. It has been very comfortable for long trips, and I go from Texas to Georgia (13+ hours).

I'd still like to see a navigation system added for "geographically challenged" folks like me.