2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:
Fun car to drive for light offroading!
By Jeff on 12/08/08 20:10 PM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 3 years and so far it's been very reliable. The only problem I've had is brakes that shimmy. This car is a bit bumpy but the stiff suspension helps out when offroading.(needs more clearance though) My biggest complaint is the cheap plastic side panels. I've made several repairs on them already and the Nevada sun is causing the paint to peel. If your thinking of buying one go for it as long as you don't mind the side panels falling off ocasionally.

Satisfied after 6 years
By Mike on 08/26/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Suzuki new in September 2002. I thought about buying a Jeep Wrangler but the Suzuki was less expensive and had more bells and whistles for the buck. After 96,000 miles it is still tight and runs well. I got 24 mpg on the hiway this summer. Best of all it's paid for!

Not Bad for the Money
By Dwayne on 08/25/07 23:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I guess Suzuki is the "poor man's Toyota". The cheapest of all the Japanese SUVs, but for much less money - is worth it. Very customer-friendly transferrable warranty, and good customer service. Not quite a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Mazda, but I predict Suzuki will catch up to the other Japanese automakers soon.

Good All Around Truck
By Paul on 02/14/07 04:18 AM (PST)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Grand Vitara is absolutely fantastic. It's a fun vehicle with a real thirst for those everyday jobs too. It is almost the best vehicle that I have ever owned (the best was an Audi TT roadster). Buy one and bag yourself loads of fun and practical driving, too. It uses a lot of fuel though... :0)

A Great Lil' SUV
By Diana R on 10/02/05 15:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited since 2/2002, and it has been a wonderful vehicle to own. I've had just one recall on it, and I was notified of it promptly. My only regrets were not having side-curtain airbags and a GPS system. The airbag situation seems to have been rectified in the 2006 model.

Great Value SUV with nice details
By Diane on 07/06/05 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

My husband was in a four car crash in 2002 in our 2001 Gr Vitara Limited, there were two fatalities in this accident. We feel that the safety features of the Gr Vitara was definitely put to the test in this accident, even though the airbags did not deploy. The vehicle was totaled, but due to the lack of injuries sustained, we felt the safety features were a definite reason to replace it with another like vehicle. The 2002 Gr Vitara Limited had heated seats and side mirror defrosters, both options are great!

2 1/2 years old -- a look back and ahead
By SilverGirl on 05/06/05 05:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Suzuki, first one was an 1987 Samari, I had for 15 years. But the 2002 has had a few recalls. This vehicle has had all the recommended maintenance. It was a reliable and fun vehicle until 18000 miles. Now I am told the engine needs to be replaced. The dealer has had it for over two weeks with no estimated completion date. The dealer was quick to give me a rental car. New cars in the past were reliable, I do not know what has happened to the quality. I miss my Suzuki and hope it comes home soon! I think in the future I will lease a vehicle instead of buying....

BEST COMPACT SUV
By RIVERAS on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I PURCHASE IT NEW ON 8/2002 AND NEVER HAD ONE PROBLEM EXCEPT FOR A RECALL THAT SUZUKI STATED ABOUT THE ACCELERATOR CABLE.ME AND THE FAMILY ALWAYS USE IT ON TRIPS.FOR A SMALL SUV ITS GOOD ON GAS,GOOD POWER,AMPLE ROOM AND VERY ATTRACTIVE.I INSTALLED A TV FOR MY SON AT THE SUZUKI DEALER WHICH THEY DID A PROFESSIONAL JOB.

Great buy for the money
By 491965 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. Bought new, had for over a year. Comfortable, fun to drive, fun to off-road with. Taken many out-of- state road trips and it has always been reliable and ready to go. Great car for the affordable price. Wouldn't hesitate to but again.

Enjoy it
By ajo1975 on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, affordable, though not very economical as far as gas goes. 4x4 is fun to use, and helpful in certain weather. Sturdy and enjoyable little ride.