2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:
250,000 MILES!!!!!!!
By willis1987 on 05/09/12 17:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Need i say more? lol no really 250,000 plus miles and still going strong although there have been some problems along the way a rear main seal luckily a family member could fix. A new barely used rear end had to be put under it about 2grand there. Just now in need of throttle position sensor also just realized a tranny mount broke needs replaced so couple hundred bucks but it has been an absolute beast of a car all 250,000 miles put on it great vehicle would def recommend to anyone looking into purchasing one they are stroooooonnnngggg little motors tranny is smooth and overall comfort of ride is pretty well great

Multiple problems down the line
By waguy2012 on 02/22/12 21:06 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The one thing that i have a problem with this car is that it leaks a ton in the front. I had it checked and multiple mechanics cant figure out where the leak is coming from. My dad and i replace some seals in the front and the leak stopped for a bit but then it comes back with a vengeance. When we go one drives just 10-15 miles down the road there will be small puddle of oil on the ground. Just a little annoying and i hope it doesnt lead to bigger problems. We are at 175,000 miles on it so i guess thats what we get for having it so long! :) Also, be caeful w/ the air conditioning. Ours went out and now to replace it will cost $$$$$$. Rather wait to get a new car than pay for repairs.

Could drive into a wall and still work!
By Andrew on 06/21/10 04:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

From an engine standpoint, the only problem I had was with the exhaust system rusting out. This truck keeps on going and going. I believe that it would probably run without oil! (only joking). I am now on my second Suzuki (XL-7), but it had that GM body (everything else is great, except the GM stuff). The 2001 units are great and will last a long time, as long as you take care of it.

4 wheeling in A/C comfort
By Ralph on 03/23/09 13:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I live in the Mohave Desert of Calif and do a lot of off roading on very bad, rocky, dirt roads, dry stream beds. That's what I bought it for. mpg 18 town, 23 hwy. 126k miles, run Mobil 1, replaced tires, dash temp control, tune up,brakes, in all these miles. I take this where 4x4 trucks and larger 4x4's won't go because of the limited size. Interior is leather, comfortable, seats 5, fold down rear seats for anything,paint has held up in our sun with wax but bushes have put desert pen stripes everywhere. I intend to get another used one with a tow bar installed so I can tow it behind my truck and camper.

Great Choice in Vehicles
By Shelly on 01/13/07 12:24 PM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2001 after doing a lot of research. I could be happier with my choice. I love it and have never had a real issue with this SUV. The only maintenance has been oil changes, windshield wipers and tires - it still has its original brakes, etc. It did have one minor recall issue that was fixed easily by the dealership. I have done some off-roading and felt very secure. The back end is light, but add a couple of sand bags in the winter and it does great in 4WD. It is a pleasure to drive on or off road.

Great Car for the money.
By Drumscansing on 04/27/06 21:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for two years and have not had any problems with it. I get between 21 and 25 miles per gallon. The engine is plenty powerfull for this car. If you want a small SUV this is a good choice. If you want a sportscar or an SUV that rides like a Caddy...this is not the car for you. I think the person that rated this car a 1.1 must have had a bad experience and should have bought a more expensive, larger car. This is a great car for the money! I have never had a car that "Held" it's value! I have had to sell each one of them at a loss or traded-it in on a new car.

Zero problems at 51k miles
By Will_C on 04/11/05 21:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Has been an excellent Mini-ute. I have 51,000 miles on it and I have done nothing but oil changes and a new set of tires. I get 24 mpg on a trip and 18 mpg in town. Only problem is that they are made with very thin sheet metal. They dent VERY EASY but I have no rust on it at all.

Best Damn Little SUV on the Road
By Bill M. on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Our Suzuki Grand Vatara has never had a warranty claim. Tires and brakes are the only extra maintance given to this Bullet Proof little Bulldog other than normal checks. My wife wanted a 4 door, Suv, Straight Stick sports car with a sun roof and Leather. She said, "No sidewinders please." The CV joints on her old Honda cost$750.00 replace, no more of that.

GRAND VITARA LIMITED
By JEL on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

GREAT AUTO TO DRIVE.

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara
By Rodney Harkness on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great all around small SUV; can cruise at 65 MPH in 4WD pulling a 1000 pound trailer. Never got stuck anywhere --and I do take this through the woods. Has a very nice sound system.