Used 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Vitara model:

15 yrs of joy
By Georgia

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my SUV XL7 off the lot. Brand new. I had never had a new car before. I was 60 yrs old and I wanted a car that I could go anywhere with. Camping, fishing, drive across country and not have to worry about breaking down in the middle of nowhere. This Suzuki Grand Vitara XL 7 has been wonderful! It is getting a few exterior rattles but so am I. A few dings. But all these yrs NOTHING has n needed to be replaced. Although I did lose the ashtray (long story). It is my pride and joy. I'd never trade it in for a new one. I'm happy and content with my 2001 Suzuki XL 7 Grand Vitara. I just need to find a replacement ashtray. humm?

Great SUV for the money! Would buy another.
By Jp

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had mine for over ten years. No serious mechanical issues ever. Replaced tires early on, now it goes through deep snow, sometimes past American 4 wheel drive trucks that are stuck. Normal wear-out stuff replaced, wiper blades, battery, brakes, belts, hoses. Gas mileage 20-25 mixed driving, 5 speed stick shift. Car has burned a little oil since new. Takes a quart every few thousand miles, so we just change the oil and filter. A great car for family with small children. Has been a real pleasure.

250,000 MILES!!!!!!!
By willis1987

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX Plus 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

Need i say more? lol no really 250,000 plus miles and still going strong although there have been some problems along the way a rear main seal luckily a family member could fix. A new barely used rear end had to be put under it about 2grand there. Just now in need of throttle position sensor also just realized a tranny mount broke needs replaced so couple hundred bucks but it has been an absolute beast of a car all 250,000 miles put on it great vehicle would def recommend to anyone looking into purchasing one they are stroooooonnnngggg little motors tranny is smooth and overall comfort of ride is pretty well great

4x4, Responsive Throttle, plenty of cargo space for small or medium sized items, great braking

Better MPG, better control/suspension(dont get me wrong its a smooth ride over bumps n whatnot but curves or manuevers are of course not great in an suv).

Multiple problems down the line
By waguy2012

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

The one thing that i have a problem with this car is that it leaks a ton in the front. I had it checked and multiple mechanics cant figure out where the leak is coming from. My dad and i replace some seals in the front and the leak stopped for a bit but then it comes back with a vengeance. When we go one drives just 10-15 miles down the road there will be small puddle of oil on the ground. Just a little annoying and i hope it doesnt lead to bigger problems. We are at 175,000 miles on it so i guess thats what we get for having it so long! :) Also, be caeful w/ the air conditioning. Ours went out and now to replace it will cost $$$$$$. Rather wait to get a new car than pay for repairs.

Improve the seals on the car. All seals seem to break even after replacing them.

Could drive into a wall and still work!
By Andrew

2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV JLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 4A)

From an engine standpoint, the only problem I had was with the exhaust system rusting out. This truck keeps on going and going. I believe that it would probably run without oil! (only joking). I am now on my second Suzuki (XL-7), but it had that GM body (everything else is great, except the GM stuff). The 2001 units are great and will last a long time, as long as you take care of it.

Engine quality.

Seats, remove arm rests (they are useless), more internal storage, window switches could be made better, better gas mileage.

• SUV