Used 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Budget SUV with Decent Quality
By Zukilver

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited 4dr SUV

Owned this car since 36k miles, now 65k. Not so bad. Hard to find parts and accessories. Overall, very reliable, like a mini 4Runner. Limited edition is very rare, I only saw 3 in my whole life, but comes with very useful package. Never went to the shop, never. I only do regular oil change. Resale price is unbelievably higher knowing that this is a budget SUV.

Favorite Features

Engine, smooth, good power, and it makes great noise with after-market air-intake system(not suggested if you don't like noisy engine). Breaks, large rotors in the fronts really helps. One-touch sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Unstable at speeding over 75mph, especially at turn, you might feel that it might skip the road, another word over steering. Bad fuel economy, never did better than 21mpg.

Solid, reliable, high performing vehicle
By Mike

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the type of person that looks for high quality at a good price and I keep my "things" as long as they work and take care of them.I've driven this car for almost 200,000 miles and am the second owner since 7,000 miles in 2002. It has been the most reliable vehicle that I've ever known. As my friends go through car #2 and car #3, I'm still driving this sweet SUV around since 2nd year of college and it rides as though it has 50-70k. Engine starting to make a little noise, AC doesn't work anymore but hey, it has 200k miles. I can definitely see it lasting at least another 60k before any major issues so long as I continue to change the oil every 3k and stay on top of it. Very good investment.

Favorite Features

Easy shifting 4WD. The engine is strong for a vehicle its size. Timing chain instead of timing belt making it as maintenance free as possible. Easy to maintain for persons moderately skilled with mechanics. Very versatile vehicle. Made tough with high quality parts and frame and extremely reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Very small inside especially for rear seating, i would suggest finding a way to decrease the trunk capacity and move the seats back just 4-6 inches and it would be a perfect passenger car. Maybe a little better gas mileage? The trunk space would end up tiny but passengers would be more comfortable.

Great I still have it Works good
By Jose Robleto

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

Reliable, fun to drive Drove from Texas to Nicaragua in 2006 with 110,000 miles no problem Drove from El Paso TX to Mazatlan Sinaloa in 2009 cero problems with 149,000 miles

Favorite Features

reliable, small, power for small SUV no major problems

Suggested Improvements

A/c compressor same as Esteem Too small, gas mileage Rims too weak needed to change, Unable to balance them

Good Little Truck
By ed

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

I brought this little suv brand new 10 yrs ago. Its been really good for the most part. Only problems are a/c condenser and the steering rack needed replaced (after driving on nyc roads for 10 yrs, I don't blame the car). Also, the body panels had to be glued back on twice (Suzuki covered). I still own it but due to my kids getting bigger and needing a pick-up for yard work, its getting traded in soon (I'll miss it).

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy. I wasn't expecting Toyota Corolla mileage but it's pretty good for a v6 SUV (about 300-325 miles per tank). Added after market tow package and car pulls trailer with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort. I get back discomfort after driving more than 1 hr. Better glue for body panels. Better tires, originals wore out in 30K (this SUV seems to go through tires quickly and they're not cheap to replace).

Amazed
By Wow

2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX 4dr SUV 4WD

We use these cars at work to truck around parts into NYC and im amazed, i never thought we would be seeing 200k plus miles without an issue, especially when we beat the crud out of them. Some go as much as 10k before an oil change. we had 4 of them, one died at 225k miles the others are at 183k and 205k mpg at best is 18mpg-hwy and 14mpg combined. the one that died was due to being run without oil... which was jiffy lubes fault. (estimated 9k miles before its death without oil) The other two don't burn, leak, or make any odd noises. I wouldn't be shocked at seeing 300k miles...

Favorite Features

Stiff ride is great at eating up NYC pot-holes.. Great off road ability, great visibility and short circle turning radius... PRICE... try getting 200k on a Explorer without any issues.

Suggested Improvements

better AC, bigger moon roof.... thinking.... better window motors